Japanese Vid of Mao throwing a quad LOOP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japanese Vid of Mao throwing a quad LOOP

emma

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Glad you posted!! ...
Great perspective!! And I love Yu-Na's debut programs for the season!! She is a very lovely and talented skater.

DG

Just wanted to say I totally agree!!

CDMM1991

Medalist
I was basing my impressions on an article posted on a GS thread in July or August, not just Yu-na's facial expressions haha. The article said that she was basically skating all the time, and barely ever got to see her friends, and wasn't very happy with the way she was living her life.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Qlepf and Kerklandas, welcome on the forum and thanks so much for the info about Yu-Na!!! I saw her skating in Helsinki JGP finals and really loved it, as well as that of Mao Asada. It will be really great to watch their skating this season (kind people are providing video clips...). I was very impressed by Yu-Na´s recent short programme and freeskate from Bratislawa.

Last edited:

qlepf

Spectator
Who the hell did the translation? :)

Anyway, thanks for your welcome :) I really appreciate your compliments.
And I know qlepf is strange name.. :biggrin:

Yu-Na is practically the only Kroean skater of international level. Naturally she'll feel a lot pressure, and I hope she doesn't train excessively for the sake of her health. Though it's really nice to see her win. :p

Korea is extremely good at short track speed skating on contrary to figure skating. Both are 'skating' and still big gap.. of course I know they are totally different, but always feel sorry for that. ;)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I've watched last JWC from a tape. Yu-na actually has more natural presentation skill then Mao. Both of them are great at jumps, light with eaze. Heard she is younger than Mao? Since Mao is in senior GP this season but Yu-Na still has to stay in JGP?
I've been following both Mao's and Yu-Na's skating for a few years now, and both were wonderful to watch in person at Junior Worlds this past March and have lots of potential for development. I believe it was Yu-Na's (her team's/Korea's) choice to keep her on the JGP this season because I would imagine she would have received a Senior Grand Prix invitation like Mao Asada otherwise. It will be interesting to see if they end up having a rematch at Junior Worlds in Slovenia next March.

Thanks to qlepf and kerklandas for their info in this thread. BTW, many of the translated Korean to English articles I've read on Yu-Na Kim over the past few years were published in the English version of donga.com.

Thank you for the insights, Kerklandis, and welcome to Golden Skate. Yes, Korea has been a powerhouse in both mens and womens speed skating for a long time. It's cool that now they have a champion figure skater on the horizon.

I do hope, though, that arrangements can be made so that Yu-na will be able to attend school while she trains. In the U.S. many elite skaters rely on private tutoring and home schooling. Sometimes this works out fine, but I think they miss out on normal social interaction with friends if they take this route. It is a tough decision for skaters and their parents.

Mathman

hssnby

Spectator
[QUOTE=soogar
I personally feel that the Japanese fed/media know that these vids will be posted and discussed online in the offseason and it seems that they are hoping to "psyche" out their opponents. Shiz's vid shown 4 views of her Biellman (like I don't see enough Biellmans in Irina's program) and now they're showing Mao's 4 loop.
UNQUOTE
This vid does not have such implication / intension. This vid is of a TV news program broadcast through Japan, and the TV station made this vid introducing Mao.
This TV station is going to broadcast a figure skate event, “Japan International Challenge (JIC) 2005”, to be held on the coming Saturday in Tokyo. Mao will perform in exhibition in JIC. So it was just for publicity purpose that the TV station introduced Mao “in the off-season”. As Figure Skate has not been so popular so far, they have to make efforts to draw public attention in advance in order to get a better audience rating.
FYI tonight the same News program broadcast vid of Nobunari Oda, a Japanese skater who is also going to perform in JIC.

QUOTE=
Mao doesn't need a 4 loop to win anything but just the fact that she's willing to try it makes a statement.
UNQUOTE=
As for Mao… I think Mao is practicing 4 loop and other 4 jumps, just because she wants to make it, seems not for win. She seems she just likes figure skating very much.

sorry for my poor English. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for joining us, Hssnby. So, it will just be a few ours before the season begins! Will they show the Japanese Invitational on live TV there?

Mathman :)

Vinah, welcome to the board. Please post again. There was nothing at all wrong with what you wrote. We welcome eveyone's opinion. Different points of view are what makes Golden Skate interesting!

Mathman (moderator) :)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Quad Loop

IIRC, didn't Tara Lipinski once say that there was something about the torque on the loop jump that caused her hip injury? If so, does anyone know if it is inherent in all loop jumps, or if it is something specifically connected to combinations?

attyfan said:
IIRC, didn't Tara Lipinski once say that there was something about the torque on the loop jump that caused her hip injury? If so, does anyone know if it is inherent in all loop jumps, or if it is something specifically connected to combinations?
According to Oxford American .... the torque creates of force causing rotation. I would presume that she worked on the torque constantly as she practiced at least 20 3x3r a day. It took its toll.

I think if a skater is working on a 3x3r that a sufficent amount of practice would bring the required result but Tara was driven.

btw. both the loop and the salchow require edges before take off and the take offs are always questionable. they are much more difficult than a toe loop or flip.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
According to Oxford American .... the torque creates of force causing rotation. I would presume that she worked on the torque constantly as she practiced at least 20 3x3r a day. It took its toll.

Joe
IIRC, in a interview she said she did 50 3r/3r a day because the OGM was all she wanted.

brinababy87

Rinkside
chuckm said:
The size of the body won't keep Mao from hurting herself. Tara was tiny (and still is), yet practicing the 3L/3L destroyed her hip. It's the torsion caused by rapid rotation in the air that puts a strain on the hip flexors, not falling out of the jump.
I think it was different with Tara. Tara claimed to be doing MANY 3r/3r a day so that there was virtually no possibility of mistake. I get the sense that the Japanese in general know when too much is too much in terms of pushing themselves and training. When I visited Japan to play piano there I was surprised at how in general the Japanese students didn't practice a lot. Instead, they practiced extremely efficiently.

I read an article once about how Miki Ando would practice after school for two hours, like it was any school girl extracurricular activity. However, she won Junior Worlds off of it, meanwhile, years ago the commentators were proclaiming Tara's rigorous 7-hours-a-day training regimen.

So in short, I'm not too worried about Mao's quad loop.

Last edited:

brinababy87

Rinkside
attyfan said:
I've been getting a sore hip from doing double loops. I think it's just the jump.

Thanks, Soogar. :agree: :clap: :rock: I can hardly wait! I wonder what they are saying.

MM

PS. Don't forget, everybody -- spoilers go in the Events folder under "Various International Events."