TT may spend summer's at MK's rink | Page 2 | Golden Skate

TT may spend summer's at MK's rink

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
gracefulswan said:
... after all, imo, anything less than gold for the inimitable kwan, would be unacceptable in light of all that she has accomplished so far...besides winning 'the big one.' ... can't wait to see the glorious triumph of one of them and the sheer anguish of defeat for the other 2 below the top spot on the podium....

If Kwan can medal -- any color -- she ties a record (3 Oly medals in ladies skating) that has lasted 70 years, and, becomes the first American -- in any discipline -- to win 3 in figure skating. Not "unacceptable" to me. Furthermore, the other 2 below the top spot on the podium do not always suffer "the sheer anguish of defeat" -- look at Tim Goebel's face on the podium in '02, or Chen Lu's face in '98. If Michelle can have the skate of her life -- and medal -- I don't think she will suffer anguish, and I -- Kwaniac though i am -- certainly will not.

millie

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
As tough as it sounds, these are business relationships. Unless someone is paying really HUGE $$ for exclusivity, then the professionals have every right to work with more than one skater, so long as they follow their contractual obligations - verbal or otherwise.

DG

In other words, "MONEY TALKS". It means that the more money that you have, you can hire the big guns(or people who think that they are big guns) I think that TT would sell her soul for a dollar or two and not think twice about it. She seems to an arrogant and self-righteous woman, talk about stoned face people. When she is in the U.S. again somebody should call PETA and get that fur coat from her. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Don't take this post in the wrong way. This is no reflection on the skaters that work with her. :) :)

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:
In other words, "MONEY TALKS". It means that the more money that you have, you can hire the big guns(or people who think that they are big guns) I think that TT would sell her soul for a dollar or two and not think twice about it. She seems to an arrogant and self-righteous woman, talk about stoned face people. When she is in the U.S. again somebody should call PETA and get that fur coat from her. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Don't take this post in the wrong way. This is no reflection on the skaters that work with her. :) :)

Let's face it money makes a big difference especially in sports like figure skating. If you are referring to Kwan's $$$ attracting TT maybe it did and maybe it didn't. I don't think all of the money in the world would get TT to spend a few months with you if the talent and -passion for the sport weren't there too. As for Kwan's $$$ she EARNED it because of her hard work and continued excellence and committment to the sport NOT because rich parents indulged her. There is a difference and I think TT is saavy enough to recognize that. That "heart of a champion" stuff is not just talk about Kwan those who know figure skating seem to get it.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
millie said:
TT only works with skaters she feels can benefit from it. Four years ago, for example, she turned down the opportunity to work with Anissina, even though she has a lot of respect for her. There are countless others she's turned down over the years.

I wouldn't call her "stoned face" easier. Come on! Over the years, she's had contless students actually live with her, and basically be like children to her. Hardly the picture you paint here.

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
Let's face it money makes a big difference especially in sports like figure skating. If you are referring to Kwan's $$$ attracting TT maybe it did and maybe it didn't. I don't think all of the money in the world would get TT to spend a few months with you if the talent and -passion for the sport weren't there too. As for Kwan's $$$ she EARNED it because of her hard work and continued excellence and committment to the sport NOT because rich parents indulged her. There is a difference and I think TT is saavy enough to recognize that. That "heart of a champion" stuff is not just talk about Kwan those who know figure skating seem to get it.

If you read my post thoroughly, I wasn't refering to Michelle or any other skater. I never ever professed to know figure skating to the extent that you do but that don't make me any less of a fan of figure skating and figure skaters. That "heart of a champion" stuff is in all figure skaters not just Michelle and that's the part of figure skating that I get. That's beside the point, somebody should still inform PETA about that coat.

Last edited:

curious

Final Flight
millie said:
Quote:

“Q. How did Arakawa feel about you developing programs for Kwan?”

”A. I didn’t ask about her feelings.”

My, she seems like a really sweet and caring person!!!!
With friends like her, who needs enemies!!!! :scowl: :scowl:

she gave all the caring to her fave yags :biggrin:

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
TT interview

"...The thing is Japanese Federation acted as if they don't give TT total control over Arakawa. They assigned another Japanese coach to Arakawa as if don't want TT taking full credit..."

Naturally the home/base country, in this case JPN, would want more input into Arakawa's training. Wasn't it initially under Japanese coach Sato (Yuka's father) when Arakawa started landing difficult triple-triple combinations? Only when she started working w/ Tarasova in the 2003-2004 season that she REALLY developed artistically and her other technical elements (spins, MITF, the Ina Bauer) came into fruition? I have a vague premonition Shizuka will go the way of the other Japanese skaters in overemphasizing 3/3 combo, which in her case are underrotated/cheated :frown:

Off-topic, there was a post from 9/26 in the USFSA forum which said Arakawa was spotted training in the Detroit Skating Club/Center w/ Yuka Sato and Jason Dunjien. It said she was consistently landing her lutz and 3sal/3toe combo but was having problems w/ her 2 axel, and that her Biellmanns were a little slow (which I fully doubt as judging from the Japanese video of her training w/ Tarasova, her Biellmann's are solid and fast and better aesthetically done than Irina's, no straining and no awkward dropping of the free leg).

curious

Final Flight
gracefulswan said:
i'm not so eager for irina to win either... mostly b/c i'm not at all partial to her style and technique. not at all... but she is one of the top skaters to be wary of. i'm hoping for a cohen or kwan gold medal myself. and for the rest, i don't care where they place....

and of course michell did not have an advantage in salt lake where she placed first in the sp with erros(that could only happen in the states) over a much better skate by Irina or the 2003 worlds in washington huh? Some people get very selective in their criticism of non fave skaters :biggrin:

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
"and of course michell did not have an advantage in salt lake where she placed first in the sp with erros(that could only happen in the states) over a much better skate by Irina or the 2003 worlds in washington huh? Some people get very selective in their criticism of non fave skaters"

Under CoP, Sasha would have won the SP at 2002 SLC Olys.
SP: 1. Cohen 2. Slutskaya 3. Kwan 4. Hughes
LP: 1. Hughes 2. Slutskaya 3. Cohen (her 3z/3toe would have been downgraded to a 3z/2t) 4. Kwan

So the medal result could have been:
1. Slutskaya 2. Kwan 3. Cohen

But this all belongs in the past.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
curious said:
and of course michell did not have an advantage in salt lake where she placed first in the sp with erros(that could only happen in the states) over a much better skate by Irina or the 2003 worlds in washington huh? Some people get very selective in their criticism of non fave skaters :biggrin:

If this was true why didn't Kwan end up with the silver over Irina? Do the judges just cheat to benefit Kwan part of the time or do people get selective in their memory of what really went on :biggrin: ?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
and of course michell did not have an advantage in salt lake where she placed first in the sp with erros(that could only happen in the states) over a much better skate by Irina or the 2003 worlds in washington huh? Some people get very selective in their criticism of non fave skaters

And Irina didn't have the advantage of winning with a sloppy, 4 triple skate over Kwan and Hughes at the 2002 GPF? Both Kwan and Irina have received some "gifts" in their careers, but it isn't like one has been undeservedly rewarded far more than the other. It happens in skating. LOL...and how was Gracefulswan being "selective" in her criticism of Slutskaya? She simply said she didn't like her style and hoped the Olympic Gold would go to Kwan or Cohen. That is an opinion....plain and simple. There are no bashes or instances of selective criticism to be found in these statements.

vixen62025

Rinkside
VINLUVSKWAN said:
"and of course michell did not have an advantage in salt lake where she placed first in the sp with erros(that could only happen in the states) over a much better skate by Irina or the 2003 worlds in washington huh? Some people get very selective in their criticism of non fave skaters"

And on the majority of judges scoresheets Irina won the technical mark. Michelle's error on the flip did not mar the presentation of the program, which is where she ultimately squeaked by Irina in the SP. Even in the LP, Kwan scored better than Irina in the presentation marks. Irina lost gold in SLC due to the Italian judge placing her fourth - the difference: the presentation mark, where he gave the edge to Sasha. As much as people talk about the "upset" in SLC, when you really look at the scores, it really all comes down to one ordinal coming between Hughes, Kwan, and Slutskaya getting the gold.

R.D.

Record Breaker
As far as I'm concerned, the past is in the past. Sarah won gold, Irina won silver, and MK got bronze. Now we have another Olys to look forward to, scandals waiting to unveil themselves, and another set of results to pick apart ad nauseum for the next four years. Bring it on! :rock:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
millie said:
That's beside the point, somebody should still inform PETA about that coat.
Last time I checked, fur was still legal. If that has changed, someone really needs to tell my closet about it...

VINLUVSKWAN said:
Under CoP, Sasha would have won the SP at 2002 SLC Olys.
SP: 1. Cohen 2. Slutskaya 3. Kwan 4. Hughes
LP: 1. Hughes 2. Slutskaya 3. Cohen (her 3z/3toe would have been downgraded to a 3z/2t) 4. Kwan
To me, it's kind of hard to say because of the Program Component Scores.. Under the ordinal system all nine judges gave Michelle 5.9 in presentation in the short program, to 5.7s and 5.8s for Sasha. Presumably these same judges would have given Michelle similarly high PCSs if the program had been judged under the CoP.

In the long, two judges ranked Sarah fourth and one judge ranked Irina fourth. I don't think these judges would have been any better impressed if they had been using the NJS.

MM

gezando

Final Flight
millie said:
In other words, "MONEY TALKS". It means that the more money that you have, you can hire the big guns(or people who think that they are big guns) I think that TT would sell her soul for a dollar or two and not think twice about it.

Seriously, accusing her of selling her soul??? Where does this come from. Lately almost all of Cohen's ex coaches are being dissed by the ubers for ????

arrogant and self-righteous woman

If she is arrogant, she has the CV to back it up. She took on Arakawa and got herself a world gold medalist within weeks

talk about stoned face people.

TT is not stoned face, just look at her expression after Cohen splashed on her triple flip at the sp of world 2003

When she is in the U.S. again somebody should call PETA anget that fur coat from her. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Come on shouldn't the PETA people be notifiied about people who e.g. endorse beef instead. Talk about BSE and dioxin

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
curious said:

Actually according to some people who were there, Michelle's sp was much better presented that Irina's. I don't think judging error only happens in US, you are too selective in this criticism. Just review your 2001 NHK tapes about Irina's win over Maria

mzheng

Record Breaker
gracefulswan said:
now we have a THREE way battle for the gold... unlike so many other olympics where there were 2 clear front-runners.

I would say it's FOUR way battle for the gold: IS, SA, MK and SC. Throw in a lot dark horses as medal contenders: Carolina, Fummie, Ando, etc.

antmanb

Record Breaker
curious said:

What mistakes did Kwan make in the SP in SLC?

Ant