Ice pretzel | Golden Skate

Ice pretzel

brad640 said:
I wonder if it would be possible to spin in a charlotte position. Sasha's I spin is like an upside down charlotte.
If some skater does a charlotte spin, it will be a first. I think Charlotte spirals are done on the flat. How would one get that spinning? FO or BO edge hmmm.

Joe

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Theres a pairs spin where the lady is in a charlotte position. Of course she is assisted by her partner, but it's probably the closest we've seen

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I would love to see Shawn Sawyer and Sasha do an exhibition number together. Maybe something like mirror pairs(I think that's what it's called). I think that could be interesting. :)

CzarinaAnya said:
I would love to see Shawn Sawyer and Sasha do an exhibition number together. Maybe something like mirror pairs(I think that's what it's called). I think that could be interesting. :)
Emanuel also has a high extension. I think that is what causes his problems in the tough to do jumps.

Joe

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Emanuel also has a high extension. I think that is what causes his problems in the tough to do jumps.

Joe

Are you saying that skaters with super extension are more likely to be bad at jumping? I can totally see that.

Joesitz said:
People used to criticize Sasha for "front-loading" her programs. Maybe that is a good stategy for her after all. Do all the jumps first with your muscles tight and bunched, then stretch out and do all the extension and flexibility moves.

MM

CzarinaAnya said:
Are you saying that skaters with super extension are more likely to be bad at jumping? I can totally see that.
I didn't say bad. From my 'dance' days, it was noted that the boys didn't work on high arabesques because it interferred with the double air turns. The high arabesque boys tended to open slightly the legs which as MM pointed out is not good for jumping. And we saw that this concept was true. Name your male skaters with high spirals and see if they are consistant triple and quad jumpers.

Joe

Joe, would you say that Todd Eldredge is an example of a skater who had pretty good extension on his spirals, but was also a fairly consistent jumper?

nicole_l

Final Flight
I would think that the extreme example of this would be Shawn Sawyer. Is he a decent jumper? I've actually never seen him skate.

Mathman said:
Joe, would you say that Todd Eldredge is an example of a skater who had pretty good extension on his spirals, but was also a fairly consistent jumper?
Todd's spiral as I recall had a free leg slightly higher than parallel to the ice. I think a higher free leg spiral would be considered feminine-like in America. That sort of thing would never be in Todd's repertoire. Likewise with Wiley whose spiral was parallel to the ice. Both these guys had solid jumping technique; not fabulous camels but super sitsspins.

Joe

gkelly

Record Breaker
I would say that Eldredge and especially Wylie had excellent *extension* in the sense of straight free leg with pointed toes, and open chest. Their *flexibility*, on the other hand, was nothing remarkable.

gkelly said:
I would say that Eldredge and especially Wylie had excellent *extension* in the sense of straight free leg with pointed toes, and open chest. Their *flexibility*, on the other hand, was nothing remarkable.
Totally agree. flexibility does not mean Sasha only.

orchid

On the Ice
Mathman said:
People used to criticize Sasha for "front-loading" her programs. Maybe that is a good stategy for her after all. Do all the jumps first with your muscles tight and bunched, then stretch out and do all the extension and flexibility moves.

MM

She splatted with front-loading, splatted with mix-up and splatted with the R&J exhibition, 2005. Flexibility or muscle tightness has nothing to do with her jump landings.

O

IMO, Sasha's jumps are her weakest elements. Unfortunately, for her, jumps are Irina's best elements. Whereas Irina does not have the balletic line that Sasha has Irina shows flexibility in her Bielman positions-lots of them and they accumulate lots of points. Neither skater grabs me on style. One seems heavy in style; the other weak in style.

However, having said this, I believe both skaters are the best of the lot going into the Olympics at this point in time. If Sasha has been working as well as I think she has, I expect her to overtake Irina this season.

Joe

orchid

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
IMO, Sasha's jumps are her weakest elements. Unfortunately, for her, jumps are Irina's best elements. Whereas Irina does not have the balletic line that Sasha has Irina shows flexibility in her Bielman positions-lots of them and they accumulate lots of points. Neither skater grabs me on style. One seems heavy in style; the other weak in style.

However, having said this, I believe both skaters are the best of the lot going into the Olympics at this point in time. If Sasha has been working as well as I think she has, I expect her to overtake Irina this season.

Joe

JoeS,

I respect your opinion, always, but must disagree with your conclusion. Irina, appears to be in her best athletic form, SC says her practices are good and we know nothing about Michelle. Carolina still poses her hands as if in a mitten, ala Tara. Fumie is down and what about Shiz?

Practices are practices and we know SC has a history of leaving it there. MK practices well and explodes on the performance ice.

orchid said:
JoeS,

I respect your opinion, always, but must disagree with your conclusion. Irina, appears to be in her best athletic form, SC says her practices are good and we know nothing about Michelle. Carolina still poses her hands as if in a mitten, ala Tara. Fumie is down and what about Shiz?

Practices are practices and we know SC has a history of leaving it there. MK practices well and explodes on the performance ice.
orchid - I didn't predict a winner (much too early for that sort of thing). I just think Sasha can overtake Irina this season at some point.

After seeing Shiz's recent invitational, I think she's back in business. We now have a top 5 not a top 4. that's not ruling out a dark horse. so NO Predictions at this time

Joe.