Oct. 8th St. Louis club benefit show w/ Matt Savoie & Rohene Ward | Golden Skate

Oct. 8th St. Louis club benefit show w/ Matt Savoie & Rohene Ward

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Hope it's okay to post this here - I don't think as many people will see this if it's in "Announcements" section?

For the past couple of years I've been helping my old club in St. Louis invite guest skaters to perform in their Regionals send-off benefit show. The proceeds from the show (minus the club's expenses) are split evenly among all the participants going on to compete at Regionals, including the guest skaters and the lower qualifying level kids. Two years ago, Matt Savoie (from Peoria, IL, not too far away) debuted his short program in this show; last year Ryan Jahnke graciously consented to skate two programs (Grieg piano concerto FS and his "That's Life"/Sinatra show number) for a modest fee; and this year, Savoie is returning AND Rohene Ward is coming from Minneapolis to show his stuff. :clap: Ward plans to skate his competitive short program (electric blues guitar piece that he performed on the Italian tour in August and at the Mid-Altlantics club comp. in NYC in Sept.) and go for the maximum jumps -- quad toe-triple toe, forward spiral-turns into triple axel, and cantilever into triple lutz -- as well as showcase his unique spins and deft footwork.

I'm hoping to get the word out about this show to *skating fans* in the St. Louis and surrounding areas in Missouri, plus southern Illinois, and/or anyone that may also be considering attending the events at St. Louis Nationals this January.

SHOW: National Hopeful Figure Skaters Exhibition
DATE & TIME: Saturday, October 8, 5-7 p.m.
PLACE/RINK: The Summit Ice Arena in Chesterfield, MO (west of St. Louis) - web site: http://www.summit-center.com/

PARTICIPATING SKATERS include: MATT SAVOIE, ROHENE WARD, Karen Hutter Branson (4-time U.S. Adult Nationals champion), Kelsey Drewel (Senior Ladies, '03 National & '02 International competitor), Abigail Legg (Senior), Cara Kinney (Junior; 2004 Novice Nationals pewter medalist, '04 JGP competitor), 2005 Junior Nationals competitors Nathan & Molly Raymond (dance), Lauri Bonacorsi & Jonathan Cohn (dance), and Sean Hickey, plus many others. This year's group of skaters come from Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Minnesota.

Your $10 admission fee ($5 for under 12) will help the skaters with their Regionals expenses. The St. Louis Skating Club will also raffle a pair of all-event tickets to the 2006 U.S. Championships in St. Louis, worth $195 each. All profits will be split evenly among the participating competitive skaters. If you have any questions, or have any ideas re. how to publicize the show locally, feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Thanks for posting, Sylvia!

I hope people will take this rare opportunity to see ROHENE WARD skate live - he is simply amazing! Wait until you see his flexibility... :rock:

Look for a Golden Skate article and photos on this fabulously talented US men's skater in the very near future. It would not be a stretch (pun intended, LOL) for Rohene to seriously challenge one of our top men for a slot at Torino.

Now wouldn't it be great if we saw this on TV?

Rohene, Rohene - All he has to do is skate clean. He'll win the Olys.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Rohene, Rohene - All he has to do is skate clean. He'll win the Olys.
But he first has to make it to Nationals in St. Louis... and the senior men's event at Midwestern Sectionals in November is shaping up to be THE toughest of the 3 Sectionals, with Ward, Ryan Jahnke, Braden Overett, Jordan Brauninger, Parker Pennington, Jeremy Abbott, Ryan Bradley -- just to name some of the main contendors (only the top 4 will qualify for Nationals).

That said, I've come to appreciate whenever I can watch Rohene Ward's skating in person, and try not to let piddling details like competition results get in the way of my enjoyment of his talent. :laugh: :love:

Thanks, Zanzibar!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Sylvia - I will support the Club effort!

Sylvia said:
Hope it's okay to post this here - I don't think as many people will see this if it's in "Announcements" section?

For the past couple of years I've been helping my old club in St. Louis invite guest skaters to perform in their Regionals send-off benefit show. The proceeds from the show (minus the club's expenses) are split evenly among all the participants going on to compete at Regionals, including the guest skaters and the lower qualifying level kids. Two years ago, Matt Savoie (from Peoria, IL, not too far away) debuted his short program in this show; last year Ryan Jahnke graciously consented to skate two programs (Grieg piano concerto FS and his "That's Life"/Sinatra show number) for a modest fee; and this year, Savoie is returning AND Rohene Ward is coming from Minneapolis to show his stuff. :clap: Ward plans to skate his competitive short program (electric blues guitar piece that he performed on the Italian tour in August and at the Mid-Altlantics club comp. in NYC in Sept.) and go for the maximum jumps -- quad toe-triple toe, forward spiral-turns into triple axel, and cantilever into triple lutz -- as well as showcase his unique spins and deft footwork.

I'm hoping to get the word out about this show to *skating fans* in the St. Louis and surrounding areas in Missouri, plus southern Illinois, and/or anyone that may also be considering attending the events at St. Louis Nationals this January.

SHOW: National Hopeful Figure Skaters Exhibition
DATE & TIME: Saturday, October 8, 5-7 p.m.
PLACE/RINK: The Summit Ice Arena in Chesterfield, MO (west of St. Louis) - web site: http://www.summit-center.com/

PARTICIPATING SKATERS include: MATT SAVOIE, ROHENE WARD, Karen Hutter Branson (4-time U.S. Adult Nationals champion), Kelsey Drewel (Senior Ladies, '03 National & '02 International competitor), Abigail Legg (Senior), Cara Kinney (Junior; 2004 Novice Nationals pewter medalist, '04 JGP competitor), 2005 Junior Nationals competitors Nathan & Molly Raymond (dance), Lauri Bonacorsi & Jonathan Cohn (dance), and Sean Hickey, plus many others. This year's group of skaters come from Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Minnesota.

Your $10 admission fee ($5 for under 12) will help the skaters with their Regionals expenses. The St. Louis Skating Club will also raffle a pair of all-event tickets to the 2006 U.S. Championships in St. Louis, worth $195 each. All profits will be split evenly among the participating competitive skaters. If you have any questions, or have any ideas re. how to publicize the show locally, feel free to PM me. Thanks!

I would like to buy two tickets. While the seats will remain empty, I just want to support the skaters. Please PM me with details regarding the tickets. And if you can let two little kids with BIG dreams sit in those seats, so much the better.

DG
[email protected]

brad640

On the Ice
I'm dying to see Matt's new programs. I was so sad when he withdrew from Liberty. I hope Matt has a great nationals before he retires and beats Goebel out of the third spot for the Olympics. I think it is possible since he is devoting his full efforts to skating as he never has before since he has allways been in school in the past.
Sylvia said:
senior men's event at Midwestern Sectionals in November is shaping up to be THE toughest of the 3 Sectionals, with Ward, Ryan Jahnke, Braden Overett, Jordan Brauninger, Parker Pennington, Jeremy Abbott, Ryan Bradley -- just to name some of the main contendors (only the top 4 will qualify for Nationals).
This is a terrible situation because Jahnke should have done better in Portland to get a bye this year. His LP at Liberty was very exciting. He is the only skater I have seen this season who is taking advantage of the new point credits for footwork that speeds up or slows down, plus his footwork is very expressive of the Rodeo music he is using. I wish him the best, but there is no guaranty he will make nationals either if he has another meltdown. A lot of those guys are very though like you said.

That MidWestern Sectional is undoubedly the toughest competion before the Nats. Campbells included.
All you midwesterners if you can check this out.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I would like to buy two tickets. While the seats will remain empty, I just want to support the skaters. Please PM me with details regarding the tickets. And if you can let two little kids with BIG dreams sit in those seats, so much the better.
Thanks so much for your generous offer, DG! I just sent you a PM.

I'm not a Midwesterner but am really looking forward to seeing the senior men's event at Midwestern Sectionals in person -- should be quite exciting!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Sylvia. I got your e-mail and appreciate your response!! I will follow up with the contact you provided. Thanks, and I hope it's a really successful event!

DG