Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair | Golden Skate

Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair

Eeyora

Final Flight
This is horrible. I wanted her to get feedback on COP's. It's a real shame. I guess all the training this summer took it's toll. At this point it is crucial that she heals for COC. I wonder if Doctor Yu has been approved by Sppedy as one of his so called certified physicians.

R.D.

Record Breaker
:rolleye:

It was only a matter of time [before she pulled out of Skate America]...

Still- it sounds as if this time she really is injured- and that sucks- It does not bode well for this season. This is what- number 3? The next thing you hear it may be Cohen or Slutskaya that has to pull out of an event...

But this says something, I think. I don't think I've ever heard of Kwan getting injured other than that foot fracture before the 98 Olys. So either- she's getting too "old", or she's been shifting into overdrive to try to make ground, and injured herself in the process. Not good.

Here's to a speedy recovery for all the injured skaters thus far...

antmanb

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
According to USFSA, Michelle Kwan is out for a month due to a ligament tear in her hip... Per her doctor, while painful, the injury is treatable and she should be ready for CoC... This sucks...:cry:

Here's wishing her a speedy recovery

Here's the Link:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=30981&type=news

If its the right hip it might be all the double loops at the end of 3/2s and 3/3s she's reportedly been practising. I wish her a speedy recovery.

It seems that she really does know her own body and it proves the point that she was right to skip the GPs for two years and let her body rest up. From the reports out there she's been training like crazy this summer in preparation for this full season and it seems to have taken its toll just like she feared it might. I hope she gets healed up quickly and manages to pull it all back together in time for Cup of China.

Ant

emma

Record Breaker
Oh no....I certainly hope she recovers fully and quickly....but this totally bums me out.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog said:
:rolleye: It was only a matter of time [before she pulled out of Skate America]...

I find this remark to be insulting. I can't even imagine why you would say it, but that's a discussion for another time I guess.

For now, I just wish Michelle a full and speedy recovery.
I can't say this surprises me though. She hasn't really taken a break from the ice all year. Maybe in the long run this will help her, with some time to rest.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
According to USFSA, Michelle Kwan is out for a month due to a ligament tear in her hip... Per her doctor, while painful, the injury is treatable and she should be ready for CoC... This sucks...:cry:

Here's wishing her a speedy recovery

Here's the Link:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=30981&type=news

Just to add that the article says its a ligament strain rather than a tear....hey you've got to be thankful for small mercies...a tear would take longer to come back from than a strain!

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Just to add that the article says its a ligament strain rather than a tear....hey you've got to be thankful for small mercies...a tear would take longer to come back from than a strain!

Ant

Thanks for the clarification Ant... I wasn't paying attention, in all my angst...

The way I look at it is MK's tough & smart... she'll do what she needs to do & then work like a crazy woman to get it together. I'm bummed for her, but better now than in say three months...

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't think she's injured. I just think that she doesn't want to compete in the GP (again) and had to pull out of Campbell's because of the Yevgeny issue last year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I find this remark to be insulting. I can't even imagine why you would say it, but that's a discussion for another time I guess.

I didn't mean ill by doing that but I can see how it could be interpreted that way. My apologies.

I was just making the point that this is the third time in a row (technically the fourth time actually) that something like this has happened. I was basically expecting an announcement like this. It's just unfortunate that it was brought up this time by a "real" injury. That's all.

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
I don't think she's injured. I just think that she doesn't want to compete in the GP (again) and had to pull out of Campbell's because of the Yevgeny issue last year.

I have to take this and defend Kwan for the very first time- or maybe the last.

Anyway- a lot of you know how skeptical I am when it comes to Kwan. But this time I really DO think she is injured- for now, anyway. It fits together- she was rushing, trying to make ground, maybe working herself harder than she ever has in 4 years (maybe 5 or 6). And this led to an increased risk of injury, and then it happened.

It's the doctor she went to that told her to stay off the ice and let the wound heal. And it's a smart move on her part to do so, as this is the Olympic season. (And she's used to this type of schedule, anyway.) If anything, the timing of all this is definitely one thing to think about. But I'll actually give her the benefit of the doubt- for now.

JMO.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
soogar said:

:sheesh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Those injuries have got to stop! However, with increased emphasize on technical difficulty, it seems that this is happening more and more...

mzheng

Record Breaker
soogar said:
I think you should call her doctor. USFSA's article having her doctor's name listed.

She IS injured. She would fufill all her schedule events otherwise. She was even talking about going Campbell after the initial treatment. Go figure where is the 'SLAP' icon when you need it?

Thank god. She pulled out Campbell and SA. I was worried she would injury herself more.

Here is hope to MK a quick and full rercovery!

Last edited by a moderator:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
It's the doctor she went to that told her to stay off the ice and let the wound heal. And it's a smart move on her part to do so, as this is the Olympic season.

I agree that this is the smartest move. There is no reason to risk a more serious injury just for Campbell's or Skate America. Also, it should do one good to remember the last time she had to take a month off of the ice due to an injury.....that would have been the December leading up to the 1998 Nationals. She came into that event as somewhat of a question mark due to the toe injury and lack of preparation time, but we all know what happened. She gave two of her finest performances ever. While I am a bit bummed about not seeing her new programs, I have confidence that all of this will turn out well for her. It will make her even more hungry. I wish her the very best, and I sincerely hope she'll be ready for Cup of China.

soogar

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I think you should call her doctor. USFSA's article having her doctor's name listed.
!

So what if the doctor's name is listed. Doctors do what their patients want them to do. If a patient is a little sick and needs a note from the doctor to miss work, the doctor will give the patient the note and probably tack on a few more days of rest just to be sure.

She has an injury that is going to be "cured" with rest. This is a sport and muscles get strained all the time. If she wants the time off, the doctor will give it to her and then some just to ensure that she is fully recovered.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Didn't Speedy's ultimatum last year say that if a skater wan'ts to withdraw they have to be checked out by a ISU doctor as well?