Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas - Contenders For A Olympic Medal | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas - Contenders For A Olympic Medal

gkelly

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
Have you actually seen their Olympic program? They had an intricate, flowless program and Morgali kissed the ice all over.

Hee hee, funny typo. The one thing we can say for Drobiazko & Vanagas's free dance in SLC was that it was not flowless -- flow across the ice was one of their best qualities. And it was free of obvious flaws such as Margaglio's or Bourne/Kraatz's falls. But it wasn't particularly intricate; of course, few of the 2002 dances were.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
It's definitely not a given for them to land on the Oly podium. What IS a given, however, is that if they don't land on the podium, they will whine incessantly about how they were robbed... maybe even start a petition about it. :p

boggartlaura

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
It's definitely not a given for them to land on the Oly podium. What IS a given, however, is that if they don't land on the podium, they will whine incessantly about how they were robbed... maybe even start a petition about it. :p
:rofl:

urmaniac13

Rinkside
Whoa, Pov and Rita are coming back to compete at the Olympics!!? I am so excited, they are one of my all time fav dance teams... such a charming duo, and I don't think they have almost never been fairly judged throughout their career. I wish them all the best!!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Hockeyfan - The cutoff for singles is 30 skaters. What is it for Dance and Pairs?

Joe

I've heard 24 for Dance.

Slightly off topic -- but what were Belbin & Agosto doing at Nebelhorn? Isn't that the type of competition where the USFSA usually sends like a junior couple or maybe the #4 or #5 couple in the country?? Given that they're world silver medallists, isn't the Nebelhorn a bit -- beneath them?? Drobiazko & Vanagas I can understand, since they've been out of competition for 4 years.

I'm thinking that perhaps, given D/V's penchant for "whining about results" under the old judging system, perhaps they think they have a better chance of getting what they deserve (and IMHO, they should have been placed higher at both Vancouver and SLC) under CoP.....

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
I've heard 24 for Dance.

Slightly off topic -- but what were Belbin & Agosto doing at Nebelhorn? Isn't that the type of competition where the USFSA usually sends like a junior couple or maybe the #4 or #5 couple in the country?? Given that they're world silver medallists, isn't the Nebelhorn a bit -- beneath them?? Drobiazko & Vanagas I can understand, since they've been out of competition for 4 years.

I'm thinking that perhaps, given D/V's penchant for "whining about results" under the old judging system, perhaps they think they have a better chance of getting what they deserve (and IMHO, they should have been placed higher at both Vancouver and SLC) under CoP.....

I think Belbin and Agosto wanted to get a head start before all the other top teams compete so that they know where they need to improve or make changes before the GP series start

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Hockeyfan - The cutoff for singles is 30 skaters. What is it for Dance and Pairs?

Joe
According to ISU Communication 1313, there are 30 spots for Men and Ladies, 24 spots for Dance, and 20 spots for pairs.

24 spots for Ladies and Men, 16 spots for Pairs, and 19 entries for Dance were pre-qualified for the Olympics based on Worlds 2005 placements.

Ladies:
3 spots: Russia, US, Japan
2 spots: Italy, Finland, Ukraine, Canada, and Hungary
1 spot: Croatia, Switzerland, Germany, Australia, and Sweden.

Men:
3 spots: US, Canada
2 spots: Russia, China, France, Belgium, Switzerland
1 spot: Germany, Bulgaria, Sweden, Japan, Romania, Israel, Italy, Belarus

Pairs:
3 spots: Russia, China
2 spots: Germany, Poland, Canada, Ukraine, US

Dance:
3 spots: Russia, US
2 spots: Ukraine, France, Bulgaria, Israel, Canada, Italy
1 spot: GBR

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-164995-182213-87601-0-file,00.pdf

By September 15, these countries were supposed to declare how many spots they would use. Will Belgium send two men? Will Bulgaria send two dance teams? (Denkova's younger sister is reported to be a dancer.) Will Poland send two pairs teams?

After the number of open spots are determined, the countries that do not have spots seek to qualify for the remaining spots at Karl Schaeffer. If a skater team from the host country doesn't qualify, the host country can take the last spot on the roster. For Italy, this means they could send a pairs team to take spot 20, and there is one less spot for everyone else. (They've already qualified two Ladies, one man, and two dance teams at last year's Worlds.)

Then the people who've qualified have to meet each country's Federation rules and national Olympic Committee standards for participation. For example, if country X decided that a skater needs to be in the top 10 at Europeans to compete in the Olympics, and no skater met the standard, it would matter how many spots that country qualfied for at Worlds 2005 or whether a spot was won at Karl Schaeffer.

Dyan

On the Ice
I haven't liked D&V as much since their comments at Nagano Worlds. However they are a beautiful couple and their strength is their ability to interpret powerful emotional dramatic programs. Their Last Cry FD was just that, very emotional with good lifts and spins.

But they also have weaknesses; up until now they weren't known for doing really intricate footwork although as was pointed out they wouldn't be the only couple not skating technically demanding dances. I was surprised to read that they received level 3's and 4's on some of their elements since early reports stated that they were having problems with twizzles and other technical elements and were very slow moving across the ice.

As for F/P&M, I realize they aren't one of the most popular teams (at least among North Americans) but as a team I don't feel they are as bad as some would say they are. They have also done a couple of programs that did have a decent amount of technical content ("Lord of the Dance"/Braveheart and "Romeo & Juliet".)

That said it's true that I don't expect to see either team on the podium but perhaps I should wait to see what the programs look like. Maybe both teams might surprise me.

Also IMHO if Linichuk has created a decent set of programs for F/P&M if they do well I don't think it would be because of favors given for being Italian. I recall their Latin OD from 2000 was very well regarded.

Thanks Hockeyfan. The standard is easy to follow but oh those exceptions. Nothing in figure skating is easy. As it stands, I would assume that the Ladies will get 6 more; the Men 6 more; the Pairs 4 more and the Dance 5 more.
However, that is not certain because of the other rulings some countries must declare how many they are sending. If they send less than they were alotted then those blanks could also be filled in Vienna.

Am I correct?

Joe

From what I remember about the dance in SLC, there were accusations of bribery which were never proved. I don't remember whining but I do remember Denkova of Bulgaria starting the petition on behalf of D/V. am I correct?

As to the actual dancing. I liked D/V to be in 1st place because I happen to like the lyrical style of skating. However, I am very aware of the majority of fans who prefer the bravura style (or Passionate style). Barbara and her partner were definitely bravura.:agree:

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
From what I remember about the dance in SLC, there were accusations of bribery which were never proved. I don't remember whining but I do remember Denkova of Bulgaria starting the petition on behalf of D/V. am I correct?
I believe you're mistaking SLC with 2002 Nagano Worlds. Gold and silver where both clear cut - L&A and B&K (at most people could disagree about the order). However, the bronze went to Chait & Sakhnovsky, while most people believed it should have gone to D&V. I don't usually like "whining" but in this occasion it seemed to be warranted. The matter of the petition is interesting as well. According to some insiders' reports, it was actually Tatiana Navka's idea. Then, everyone signed it except for L&A and Grushina & Goncharov. Apparently, then Navka arranged for Denkova to be the one actually handing in the petition, allegedly to avoid the ISU wrath. The rumor went that after the petition was delivered, Galit's father Boris stormed in at told Zhulin "Rein in your s**t, or she may never get home". Whether or not it's true, and whether or not it was more than a father being protective of his daughter, is for each and every one to decide.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Whoa Ptichka! I never heard that one.

As for Drobiazko & Vanagas, it will be tough for them. Even if they don't win they're still my favorite team to watch.

Thanks Ptichka for the background. If the ISU would be angry over Navka why would they not be angry over Denkova?
I'm also wondering if the cuss phrase against Zhulin is a literal translation from Russian?

Joe

nuge

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Thanks Ptichka for the background. If the ISU would be angry over Navka why would they not be angry over Denkova?
I'm also wondering if the cuss phrase against Zhulin is a literal translation from Russian?

Joe

Perhaps ISU are angry with Denkova dumping her to fifth place :eek:hwell:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I was actually surprised that Denkova & Staviyisky didn't suffer more fallout from the petition incident; they did actually end up on the Worlds podium in '03 and '04 so it would seem a bit odd that 3 years later, the fallout hits. But then again perhaps we should never underestimate the devious workings that may lurk in some judge's brains.... Perhaps it's a case of yeah, go ahead and put them on the podium for a couple years so it'll seem like all is ignored and/or forgiven, THEN wait till the Worlds before the Olys to undermine their position...... We'll have to see how the season unfolds, I suppose..... Potentially I think we are in, for once, for a VERY interesting Dance Olympics, with Belbin/Agosto ineligible and D/V and F-P/M returning to the fold; I think Navka/Kostamorov are going to win that OGM no matter what, but the silver and bronze battle could be QUITE interesting......

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Did you know that C&S skated to "Bolero" to win Skate Israel and that Chait now has dark hair? I believe Evgeny Platov is their coach. This will definitely be interesting. Should be quite a competition.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Did you know that C&S skated to "Bolero" to win Skate Israel and that Chait now has dark hair? I believe Evgeny Platov is their coach. This will definitely be interesting. Should be quite a competition.

jeez.......How many hair colors is Galit Chait going through:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It was just red during 2005 Worlds:laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
jeez.......How many hair colors is Galit Chait going through:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It was just red during 2005 Worlds:laugh:
Hey as long as she skates well, it could be BLUE for all I care! :laugh: :biggrin: