New Johnny Weir Journal Entry 10/10/05 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Johnny Weir Journal Entry 10/10/05

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
IOther than that, I have to say, suck it up, John. Nobody wants to hear your moaning and bellyaching. :eek:hwell:

MM
Math, I am shocked!! Shocked that you don't feel sorry for poor Johnny. He'll get it together and show you!! :clap: :clap: I can't wait to see his new programs.

Dee

soogar

Record Breaker
I really don't get why he didn't just skate his old program to see where the spins would be ranked. It's not as though the US has been implementing COP on a regular basis. And still the bottom line is feeling comfortable with a program and landing jumps. I was having a conversation with a coach on COP and he said that you can skate with your hands by your sides and win if you're a good enough skater (he cited Brian Boitano). For all the posturing on points,the bottom line is that if you can have good choreography that reaches out the judges and the jumps are secure, you will win and/or place high.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Soogar, my guess is that Johnny chose the correct strategy of getting as much milage as he could out of the program he is going to go to Torino with. The goal is not to win a Cheesefest; it is to position oneself well for the Olympics.

jesslily

Final Flight
Johnny definitely needs money. His program's spins were not highly scored. What did TT do with him the entire Summer? All the top coaches should make themselves very familiar with the new judging system. But I feel the key problem of Johnny Weir is pressure. He realizes how many guys out there are going to fight for the national title, fight for spot of Olympic team, and fight to get on the podiem of 2006. Too much pressure and he feels very hard to deal with it. Plus the new guy technically is stronger than him and fresher to judges and audiance.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I find Weir overrated. He hasnt really proven himself yet on the international scene. He hasnt medaled at a Worlds yet, and his best showings were two wins on the GP circuit last year. Who was there though? Plushenko and Lambiel both were out of the circuit, except for Plushenko doing COR which was not one of Weir's 2 events, Joubert was struggling mightily, Buttle was not in either of his events, Sandhu was inconsistent as usual. Counting cheesefests I believe he has a serious losing head to head with Lysacek. He clearly is not one of the 3 or 4 best male skaters in the world right now IMO.

Bowers

Rinkside
Tatiana certainly knows how to rack up CoP points! So what happened to Johnny's choreography by TT? He sent off a tape and was told it was not sufficient, pointwise? And certain elements had to be reworked to gain points? I don't understand. But then again, I think I understand all too well. First, start with the music--decent music! Things will fall in place much more easily. And make certain that the person(s) that is choreographing for you is giving you the best he/she has. Make certain there are no split allegiances. Same with others whom you must depend on for advice! It's literally like walking through a minefield. Who is a real authority? Whom do I trust?

Flashback to 2003-4--Johnny's watershed year. His jumps were textbook perfect! And consummate artisty! The only thing he lacked was a quad! He was on the threshhold of making his mark. He suffered a slight setback with a so-so 2004-5 season. And now this! Needless to say, I'm furious that this has surfaced in an Olympic year. In some ways, he could be viewed as a victim. Maybe there's still time for him to salvage the situation. I hope so, and I wish him luck.

bdreampixie

On the Ice
soogar said:
And still the bottom line is feeling comfortable with a program and landing jumps. I was having a conversation with a coach on COP and he said that you can skate with your hands by your sides and win if you're a good enough skater (he cited Brian Boitano). For all the posturing on points,the bottom line is that if you can have good choreography that reaches out the judges and the jumps are secure, you will win and/or place high.

I completely agree with this. It seems like people are getting worked up about spins, but ultimately the jumps are what get you the points. Jumps still are the highest scoring elements. PCS are the other big factor, and a well choreographed program could help a skater there, but from past events it seems it has more to do with whom the judges like than the program.

Just wanted to add that a great example of this is Plushenko. His programs are pretty crappy, spins are so-so (mostly level1's I believe), but if he lands his jumps and is clean none of the other men can beat him. Great jumps, plus high PCS scores is what will do it.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Bowers said:
Tatiana certainly knows how to rack up CoP points! So what happened to Johnny's choreography by TT? He sent off a tape and was told it was not sufficient, pointwise? And certain elements had to be reworked to gain points? I don't understand. But then again, I think I understand all too well. First, start with the music--decent music! Things will fall in place much more easily. And make certain that the person(s) that is choreographing for you is giving you the best he/she has. Make certain there are no split allegiances. Same with others whom you must depend on for advice! It's literally like walking through a minefield. Who is a real authority? Whom do I trust?

Flashback to 2003-4--Johnny's watershed year. His jumps were textbook perfect! And consummate artisty! The only thing he lacked was a quad! He was on the threshhold of making his mark. He suffered a slight setback with a so-so 2004-5 season. And now this! Needless to say, I'm furious that this has surfaced in an Olympic year. In some ways, he could be viewed as a victim. Maybe there's still time for him to salvage the situation. I hope so, and I wish him luck.

I think the allegations of Tarasova of not giving Johnny the best possible program are a bit unfair. Tarasova is a professional who is helping many skaters- Shizuka and Michelle, for example.Why would she prefer one over the other? She choreographed a great performance for Johnny last year. There is no reason why she would not do it this year. I believe the choice of music is Johnny's. I don't understand all the negative comments about this music on the fs boards. It is a different type music but it does not mean it cannot work for him. He missed the jumps and finished 4th in both competitions at the start of the season; it had nothing to do with the music. He had the highest component scores at Campbells. You have to give him some time to feel comfortable with the new program.

LBC

On the Ice
Johnny switching LP's in August is the reason why he is in this trouble. I think it is a case of TT not having enough time to do the choreography as well as it could have been. He was cutting it close to begin with in changing it that late but the last minute changes to the program just screwed him up. He spent too much time worrying about a few points and not the huge amount of points you get on jumps. He still has time to fix things but his confidence is shaken.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
I believe the choice of music is Johnny's. I don't understand all the negative comments about this music on the fs boards. It is a different type music but it does not mean it cannot work for him. He missed the jumps and finished 4th in both competitions at the start of the season; it had nothing to do with the music. He had the highest component scores at Campbells. You have to give him some time to feel comfortable with the new program.

This music is just plain not good. It is so far beneath his ability. I would expect a very young kid with no artistry at all to pick something like this. A bad analogy here would be a world class chef preparing to dazzle and picking Spam and Cheetos for his ingredients. Yes, everybody knows I'm a music snob, but this time at least 90 percent of the comments that I have read are in accord with the way I see this music. The comments I read are elevator music, tinkly piano, etc. Johnny is such a magnificent skater, I would just like to see him skate to something on par with his talent. And no, I do not mean old, overly used, romantic classical music.

Vash01

Medalist
I hope Johnny will follow his heart and stick with whatever music he feels good about. He has not been the type who would sway based on fan reactions, so I hope he will stick with this music if that is his choice. Ultimately what will matter is how he skates when it counts.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Does anyone know the levels that have been assigned to Tim's spins, or Shizuka's, or the spins of other skaters who also had TT choreograph their program?

cianni

On the Ice
Honesty

Oh what a price we pay for being honest. I applaud Johnny for saying what I bet most skaters are thinking. Now the skaters who use Bielmania and spins to rack up points dont mind because the chor is not there anyway but I think what he is saying in part is there is a difference in thinking and feeling . I will take the Heart anyday in artistic expression over the cold unfeeling head. JMO. COP isnt very friendly and its difficut to be thinking and feeling at the same time in this type of situation. COP is clonism and will be quite boring as time goes by and all skaters do the same thing mechanicly. Oh well so goes the sport be careful what you ask for you might get it.

I agree with Cianni's point. This might be what finally brings pro skating back. Competitive skating will become less interesting to the audience, and this will open the door to new venues featuring greater artstic expression.

MM

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Mathman said:
I agree with Cianni's point. This might be what finally brings pro skating back. Competitive skating will become less interesting to the audience, and this will open the door to new venues featuring greater artstic expression.

MM

Or, it could put it out of it's misery for good! I think anything that strengthens eligible skating will strengthen pro skating. What weakens one, will weaken both. Many people start out becoming fans of a competitive skater and follow them through the pros. There is a big chance that people will see a bunch of flat, boring programs and think- "No way am I paying a couple of hundred bucks and driving all that way, just to watch that. I can stay at home and give myself a pedicure for free!"

It may not have been prudent, but I love that Johnny said what he felt. Now, he needs to start skating what he feels.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
One thing that will help pro skating get a sudden rush, IMO, is that a lot of big name skaters, who have a lot of fans who will follow them, will probably be going pro after this season. These skaters will be remembered for their pre-CoP programs, so a lot of people will see the pro events and can tell others "no, this isn't like the Oly stuff at all". Maybe, if the pro skaters get together a new organization that will actually host and judge the events, the new group could get enough credibility to challenge the ISU (IMO, the WSF was really hurt by the fact that it had never hosted an event before it asked the IOC to dump the ISU)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
attyfan said:
One thing that will help pro skating get a sudden rush, IMO, is that a lot of big name skaters, who have a lot of fans who will follow them, will probably be going pro after this season. These skaters will be remembered for their pre-CoP programs, so a lot of people will see the pro events and can tell others "no, this isn't like the Oly stuff at all". Maybe, if the pro skaters get together a new organization that will actually host and judge the events, the new group could get enough credibility to challenge the ISU (IMO, the WSF was really hurt by the fact that it had never hosted an event before it asked the IOC to dump the ISU)

Great point! It hadn't occured to me, but you are probably right. If Kwan and Cohen go pro, they will be taking a great many fans with them.

SusanBeth said:
It may not have been prudent, but I love that Johnny said what he felt. Now, he needs to start skating what he feels.
Right On!! and that goes for any skater. Go with the feelings, and show it in the music.

Joe

cianni

On the Ice
Wouldnt that be nice

I dont think robots can be in their feelings Jositz. Thats the point of the negative side of COP the skaters are in their heads out of necessity. The beauty and artistic side is sacrificed for Bielman, jump spin and it doesnt matter if these elements are done correctly or not. This not about the sport its about keeping the judges secret cheating hidden. The PCS is Please Cheat Secretly and the Judges are doing a great job. I read that on another thread and it says it all. I can assure you the skating community is well aware that the new system is no different then the old. I am one who hopes the PRO Skating takes off after the OLYS and will support it. The OLY scandel thats looming will help that happen. My trust in this new system is in the toilet.