Bad Taste award goes to... | Golden Skate

Bad Taste award goes to...

Bijoux

Match Penalty
the people making an opera out of Tonya/Nancy. I get really tired of people in the media writing that Nancy said, "why me?" She said "Why, Why?" In her sheltered life she later said she could not understand why someone was so vicious. We librans don't get it, so I understood her.

Will this be on ice?

What do GSers think of this and who will buy tickets? It seems Nancy would have her lawyers block it, yet neither had a comment.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I don't think Nancy can block it, as they seem to be taking their lines from statements that are public record.

I think it will probably just be annoying for Nancy and Tonya will probably hope to use it for yet another try at a comeback. Actually, haven't heard anything about Tonya in quite a while, which I sincerely hope means she's gotten some stability in her life.

As for making an opera out of the incident, in the '80s people made an opera called "The Death of Klinghoffer" which was based on the true story of a terrorist highjacking of a cruise ship in the '70s during which the terrorists murdered a man named Klinghoffer, who was a paraplegic in a wheelchair, by wheeling him overboard in front of his wife. That, IMO, was truly bad taste.

So we don't have much in the way of new mythology, the culture is so loaded with drama and comedy that if people want to use these incidents as inspiration, do so with some dramatic interpretation and change the names. The meaning is in the metaphor, that the names of who did it. Names might get media attention and sell some tickets initially, but if the opera doesn't have great music and a great libretto, it doesn't matter what the subject matter is. JMO.

Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if we fans quit bringing it up, maybe the media would finally get the hint

however we keep bickering about something that is over 10 years old, so the media still sees a market.:scratch:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I don't see bickering, Toni

It was an article and on the news. Massachusetts fans followed this story every night as Nancy was the home team, so I get sick of seeing her not get the respect and title for that matter, she did earn. I guess right and wrong/ good and evil are the theme of these bizarre operas.

Rgirl, I remember that horrible incident, and you are right. Even more offensive to the point of wondering how people waste their talents on sick subjects.

I too hope Tonya is doing well. While watching Hill Swank in that boxing movie (title?) I thought of Harding and wish they had given her a shot at the role, no pun intended. It's sad to me she will always pay for that big mistake and only true fans of FS will remember how great a skater she was. Envy is a hard thing to control.