Jamie Silverstein article | Golden Skate

Jamie Silverstein article

Here's an article by Jo-Ann Barnas of the Detroit Free Press about Jamie Silverstein at Skate America. Jamie talks candidly about her physical and emotional problems as a teenager. ("Anorexia" is unfortunately misspelled in the headline -- where's the editor?)

http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/skating19e_20051019.htm

"And like for the longest time I wanted skating to be the problem -- why I got sick and why all these things happened, but it wasn't.

"I don't on a daily basis feel beautiful. And for me, skating was something that I had in my life that felt very beautiful and I missed that (the last three years as a student at Cornell)."

OK Jamie, listen up, LOL. You were beautiful then, you are beautiful now.

As a teenager, Jamie was the most expressive dancer I ever saw in juniors. Win or lose, it will be so cool to see the mature Jamie at Skate America tomorrow! :love:

Mathman

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
"As a teenager, Jamie was the most expressive dancer I ever saw in juniors. Win or lose, it will be so cool to see the mature Jamie at Skate America tomorrow!"

Mathman I totally agree with you about Jamie. I thought she was a beautiful girl and a beautiful ice dancer. I can't wait to see her skate.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
As Tatiana Tarasova said of Jamie, "She skates like an angel." If she gets to go to the Olympics in February, for once there will be true justice in ice dancing. :clap:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I'm STILL not getting all the Jamie love, but at any rate I'm glad she got over her issues and I hope she skates well. But I also hope Tiffany and Sergey skate better ;)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see this team skate and hope for only the best. If they do well, there IS some justice in the world: for him because of the way he got dumped in an Olympic year by his former partner; for her, because I want to see her fulfill her potential, whatever that may be. I believe in second chances! :clap:

dancindiva03 said:
I'm STILL not getting all the Jamie love, but at any rate I'm glad she got over her issues and I hope she skates well. But I also hope Tiffany and Sergey skate better ;)
You don't love Jamie? How is that possible? I can only guess that you weren't following dance during the glory years of Silverstein and Pekarek, when they were the toast of the town long before anyone had heard of Belbin and Agosto.

Yes, it is unrealistic to think that the new team is going to jump up and win a gold medal. But if she gets the joy of skating back, that will be good enough for me.

MM :)

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
You don't love Jamie? How is that possible? I can only guess that you weren't following dance during the glory years of Silverstein and Pekarek, when they were the toast of the town long before anyone had heard of Belbin and Agosto.

Yes, it is unrealistic to think that the new team is going to jump up and win a gold medal. But if she gets the joy of skating back, that will be good enough for me.

MM :)

How is it possible? Well, maybe its just that I actually have some taste? :p Kidding, no I just didn't ever care for her, I thought her "exquisite features" were actually downright goofy looking, and looked even less attractive when she was making her over-the-top "I'm so constipated" facial expressions. I know there was so much hype around them, but I never got it, still don't, never will. I'm just hoping she doesn't get "gifted" this year due to her past reputation and be put ahead of more deserving teams. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she's healthy and happy, but seeing her back skating just doesn't excite me.

One man's meat is another man's poison, I guess. I loved all that over-the-top drama. She could have grown up to be another Barbara Fusar-Poli! :love:

About being gifted because of past history, though, yeah, that's another story. A lot of people thought that's exactly what happened in the high scores that this team received in their first event this year.

Anyway, the compulsory dance at Skate America is tomorrow, so I will be able to see for myself!

MM

Last edited:

Dyan

On the Ice
I had an opportunity to see the CD's, OD's and FD's of the top teams competing in Lake Placid (as did many others I'm sure) and I don't think that Jaime and Ryan were overmarked at all. I love their Tango FD, it was difficult, had many interesting and different moves and was skated well. I know many felt Wester/Barantsev should have won and while they were a bit faster and I loved their FD it wasn't as difficult with the footwork and upper body holds (the choreography was very effective though; reminded me just a little bit of K&O's 1996 FD.)

Jaime's face is gorgeous because every emotion comes out loud and clear. Yes there are some female dancers who over emote to the point of being "over the top" but IMO Jaime is not one of them. She's also technically excellent and able to perform very difficult material in addition to being feisty. The Latin OD suits her well.

Scroll down to see Jaime:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/even...vents/200506/skateamerica/backstagepics6.html

Just look at that face.....:love:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Dyan said:
Jaime's face is gorgeous because every emotion comes out loud and clear. Yes there are some female dancers who over emote to the point of being "over the top" but IMO Jaime is not one of them. She's also technically excellent and able to perform very difficult material in addition to being feisty. The Latin OD suits her well.

Scroll down to see Jaime:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/even...vents/200506/skateamerica/backstagepics6.html

Just look at that face.....:love:

I think she is way over the top. And that pic doesn't do anything for me, still don't think she's very pretty at all.

Saundy

On the Ice
I too think she looks very beautiful. I wouldn't mind having some of her looks myself! :biggrin:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Doesn't "Silverstein & O'Meara" sound like a vaudvillian comic and straight-man routine? :biggrin: I wonder if this guy has the same deadpan reactions to her extemporaneous ramblings as Pekarek used to have. I often used to find their interviews more entertaining than their skating.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Eh. I suppose she's pretty, but I hope she didn't realize in the close-up that she was being photographed, because she looks rather..I'll be nice and say dazed. (The other word I was considering involved psychopharmeceuticals.) In the second she's a textbook example of why I've NEVER liked the admonition to "Smile!"

Have to say, I like their costumes better than B&A's. And IMO she's prettier than Tanith Belbin, but being a brunette I'm biased towards them. Being a straight female brunette, I'm not sure my opinion counts for a whole heck of a lot in determining who is or isn't pretty, either!

ladybug

On the Ice
She looks very pretty and in the next picture, she does not look overly thin so perhaps she has faced her demons.

I always liked her and Jason so I hope this new team does well.

Ladybug