Kurt IS signed with ABC Commentary | Golden Skate

Kurt IS signed with ABC Commentary

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
according to http://www.kurtfiles.com

Kurt has signed on as an ABC commentator for several events this season, including Skate America, Nationals, and Worlds. Check the US Figure Skating Event Schedule for airdates and times.

the webmaster went into much greater detail on the Kurt Files email group, but this sounds promising!!!!! I've wanted him to commentate more for sooooooo long! :rock:

I thought he did only so-so in his debut at Campbell's. But part of the problem was that the sound was so poor that I couldn't hear what he was saying half the time.

He seems to have a sly sense of humor that ought to be refreshing.

MM

bdreampixie

On the Ice
That's great for Kurt. I wonder if he'll just be commentating for the men. I wish he'd replace Peggy.:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I thought he did only so-so in his debut at Campbell's. But part of the problem was that the sound was so poor that I couldn't hear what he was saying half the time.

He seems to have a sly sense of humor that ought to be refreshing.

MM

If Dick wouldn't try and be the only expert I think ALL commentators would sound better but that's just me lol

this is hardly his debut as a commentator... but it *might* be his debut on American networks??? I'm not sure... he might have commentated for NBC once upon a time.... but again I can't remember lol

bdreampixie said:
That's great for Kurt. I wonder if he'll just be commentating for the men. I wish he'd replace Peggy

I'd be happy if he replaced Peggy or Dick (or both!) I much prefer him to their commentary:laugh: :rock:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Tonichelle said:
... this is hardly his debut as a commentator... but it *might* be his debut on American networks??? I'm not sure... he might have commentated for NBC once upon a time.... but again I can't remember lol:

Kurt did commentary for NBC for the 1994 Worlds. He described Michelle Kwan as "kinda sexy looking"; since she was only 13 at the time, his comment was considered to be hugely inappropriate, and that ended his NBC gig.

jesslily

Final Flight
I just feel that he spoke too fast. Skating commentating is different that other sports. You can not talk too fast in a relatively sharp voice. When three men all talking during the Campbell men skating, it just made me confused. Acturally most skating fans know about figure skating very well. We don't need too much talking.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I love Kurt's commentating. He can be 'Nephew Kurt" to "Uncle Dickie." After all, they both sport the same hairdo. :rock:

Jill

On the Ice
Kurt's always been a favorite among Americans, and I think he'll do a great job. Not only is he a fine looking man, he's got a good voice and he knows his stuff. Besides, Uncle Dick has been making some rather sexist comments for years and he still has the gig. Fair or unfair, like it or hate it, sex is a part of the sport.

pollyls

Rinkside
Welcome Kurt!

I'm excited about Kurt's commentary too.

My mom, for her part, is positively giddy over it. :agree:

I wonder if we'll still have Paul Wylie on the ESPN events. I'm a fan of both of them.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry to hear that Kurt will be commentating but I will agree it's better than Scott, anything is better than Scott. I'm sorry I just can't take Kurt serious. He does all the goofy skates and that's how I think about him. I thought he was so nasal, I wanted to turn the volume down. I'm sorry that Paul W. wasn't commentating, I liked him. I think Kurt turned me off when he said that Johnny W. skated last year with more fire. I thought that something the one and only Uncle Dick would say----NOT YOU, KURT.

Dee

Last edited:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I like Dick's honesty

I wish they'd all really say what they really think! Dish the dirt! Enquiring minds want to know. Wylie was good, but I miss Scott's enthusiasm. Is he not working at all?

brad640

On the Ice
I am looking forward to Kurt's commentary this season. I loved that he said B&A needed more sex in their FD.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
according to http://www.kurtfiles.com

the webmaster went into much greater detail on the Kurt Files email group, but this sounds promising!!!!! I've wanted him to commentate more for sooooooo long! :rock:

Oh darn, that means we here in Canada will be Kurtless. Yes, Kurt is very funny and has a natural raport with the audience. Oh well, we still have Elvis and Tracy and Paul and Barb - and Debbie Wilkes, of course.

I might just stop at ABC and listen to Kurt. It will be great - enjoy!!!

:thumbsup:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I enjoy Kurt's calmness. I think he's so at ease and soft spoken, that I miss some of his comments, sometimes. I did notice that the chatter was ALOT quieter during programs. I enjoyed that quite a bit.

I think I would miss Dick Button if I couldn't yell at him through the tv. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bijoux said:
I wish they'd all really say what they really think! Dish the dirt! Enquiring minds want to know. Wylie was good, but I miss Scott's enthusiasm. Is he not working at all?

Scott has never [that I know of] worked with ABC, and it's not been said one way or the other if he will be commentating for NBC this time around. With his recent brain tumor he said he was unsure if he would as last year his eyesight wasn't what it should be. However he hosted the Skating with the Stars FOX event (not televised yet) and has been seen at some charity events, so he's not completely out of the spotlight....

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Kurt can be a little risque in some of his commentary!! I remember way back when, Kurt did commentary the year that Michelle first skated at Worlds. She was only 13 at the time and obviously still a child, but Kurt nonethless termed her "sexy"! It definitely took me a bit aback (although I don't think he really meant anything by it).

I did enjoy Kurt's commentary at Campbell's. But I also really like Paul Wylie's commentary.

Linny

Final Flight
Bald Heads

Wouldn't it be a scream to see Kurt, Dick and Scott together? Put Peggy at the end with her hair... Linny