Comments on ABC's Skate Am coverage | Golden Skate

Comments on ABC's Skate Am coverage

Frau Muller

Final Flight
What did you guys think? I thought that it was pretty good coverage, compared to other ABC/ESPN events in the last year or so. Loved the addition of Katarina Witt. No Christine Brennan by the boards this year! - HIP-HIP-HOORAY!

What about Dick Button's off-the-cuff comment about the history of 'The Seasons' as a ballet, first performed in 1750. He said that after Terry kidded him about being in attendance in Russia, during the premiere of the Glazunov version (to which Emily Hughes was skating). So Uncle Dickie remembers 1750? I thought that was hilarious. :rock:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think Dick decided not to bite this time when Terry said "But you were not at the opening?". It seems that Terry is always making a little joke about Dick's age. While I like Terry he can only dream of on his best day having half the knowledge Dick has on his worst.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I thought Katarina's comments were superfluous, nothing Peggy and Dick could not have come up with on their own.

Linny

Final Flight
Superfluous

The broadcaster who is not "in the booth" often doesn't add much, but Kat did emphasize one very important point: the final result is the sum of two programs. While D&P were a bit whiny about loving the american skater, Kat provided the ultimate answer. I also thought that D&P were quite tough on Cupcake. Seemed like they couldn't say a single nice thing.

Linny

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I noticed the same, Linny. It's a given that American commentators will be prejudiced toward the home team but, with Cupcake, they were especially nasty. It's the sort of anti-Russian thing that we come to expect from Peter Carruthers or Sandra Bezik whenever each commentates on pairs.

It was telling that Button mentioned that he was inundated with feedback when he gave 'Cupcake' her nickname, long ago. In other words, Dick Button reads these boards. LOL!

anya_angie

Final Flight
I thought so too! I thought they were exceedingly harsh.

My friend Ruby is the type to think If they skate well they should be ranked high.

Vash01

Medalist
Frau Muller said:
I noticed the same, Linny. It's a given that American commentators will be prejudiced toward the home team but, with Cupcake, they were especially nasty. It's the sort of anti-Russian thing that we come to expect from Peter Carruthers or Sandra Bezik whenever each commentates on pairs.

It was telling that Button mentioned that he was inundated with feedback when he gave 'Cupcake' her nickname, long ago. In other words, Dick Button reads these boards. LOL!

How can you place Peter Carruthers and Sandra Bezic in the same bracket? Peter RAVES over Russian pairs, and explains what makes them so great. Sandra does the opposite. She is openly nationalistic (Canada) and screaming to 'prove' that her favorites are the greatest- no explanation given.

I agree that Dick B. was awfully rude toward Sokolova. She has her weaknesses (who doesn't?) but to criticize every move she did in her program was in an extremely poor taste. Was it because she was competing against an American for the gold? Or was he just in a 'mood' to bash somebody?

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
RealtorGal said:
I thought Katarina's comments were superfluous, nothing Peggy and Dick could not have come up with on their own.

Kat tried to avoid taking sides (was she afraid to offend the American commentators?). I would have preferred an honest and clear answer from her instead of the evasive one she came up with.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Kat tried to avoid taking sides (was she afraid to offend the American commentators?). I would have preferred an honest and clear answer from her instead of the evasive one she came up with.

I think it might have to do with it being her first time, so maybe she's a little nervous? Maybe as she gets more experience she'll be more "outspoken"...(or not?)