Michelle - Good News/Bad News | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle - Good News/Bad News

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Well, RD, I don't understand why this timing bothers you when you are a professed "nonfan" anyway? What's the big deal?

Personally I think Kwan is very smart not to do CoC. When she first withdrew from Campbells and SA, it was stated that she would have two weeks off the ice and then back on the ice in limited sessions for another month. I did the math and as a Kwan fan, I figured, in my own little brain, that she wouldn't do CoC. Therefore there was no possibility that I could have been "taken for a ride" at all. I had "hoped" she would be well enough to participate, but I knew she wouldn't.

I don't think the lack of COP experience for Kwan is such a bad deal. She didn't finish that far behind at Worlds in her first COP with a not very stellar program. So why does everyone think she's gonna get smacked down? Goodness, it isn't the end of the world if she isn't able to do the GP Series. And who knows? Maybe Team Kwan is being secretive about her doing 4CC. Of course, they should probably clear that with RD ahead of time so there are no surprises.:laugh:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Skaters do that all the time though- pull out before the FS. But if they injure themselves and are no longer competitive, why continue?

That's my whole point Red Dog. What is the difference if a skater pulls due to injury as soon as they know they can't compete - whether that is a month before a comp, a week before a comp, a day before a comp, or in the middle of the comp? If you are serious about competing, you wait until you know for SURE you will have to pull due to injury, whenever that is.

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think I've hammered my point home by now, so I will no longer discuss that. But I leave the discussion with this: To me, it's not so much PULLING OUT that I had an issue with (it might be in her best interest after all), it's that the team did what they usually do, which I don't like. But that's just my little beef, so I'll end it there. It's not a big deal but sometimes it's those little things, you know? I think we can "agree to disagree" at this point.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The Skate Canada roster has been chipped away, with withdrawals by Poykio, Denkova/Staviyski, Song, and Hoffmann/Elek pulling out in the last week, and Yang/Gao, and Boguslavska/Brovenko before that. There was a "TBA" in the Ladies field as of the May 10, 2005 GP Entries printout I have. If, with all of the skaters who train in North America, Skate Canada couldn't find an 12th lady to invite within five months, the chance of Kwan having taken away a space from a last-minute invitee to Cup of China by her less-than-last-minute withdrawal is very slim, particularly since the trip is so expensive and time-consuming.

I think it's more likely that the "slow drip" of withdrawals from Kwan has to do with Cinquanta's blow up last year after Plushenko tried to skate in a show after withdrawing from NHK. She's providing an audit trail for injury and meeting the requirements he so explicitly laid out last year.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
realistic51 said:
When she first withdrew from Campbells and SA, it was stated that she would have two weeks off the ice and then back on the ice in limited sessions for another month. I did the math and as a Kwan fan, I figured, in my own little brain, that she wouldn't do CoC. Therefore there was no possibility that I could have been "taken for a ride" at all. I had "hoped" she would be well enough to participate, but I knew she wouldn't.
:
Real, congratulation to your. You can do the math with your 'little brain' even it is not as 'BIG' as Mathman's. :laugh:

mzheng

Record Breaker
realistic51 said:
And who knows? Maybe Team Kwan is being secretive about her doing 4CC. Of course, they should probably clear that with RD ahead of time so there are no surprises.:laugh:

Well, was there someone in this thread posted that 4CC team is assigned by USFSA after nationals? If that's the case, Team Kwan alone certainly can't make announce that far ahead, otherwise how 'arrogant' that Kwan!

mzheng

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
I think it's more likely that the "slow drip" of withdrawals from Kwan has to do with Cinquanta's blow up last year after Plushenko tried to skate in a show after withdrawing from NHK. She's providing an audit trail for injury and meeting the requirements he so explicitly laid out last year.
Well, I'd say her "slow drip" of withdrawls is an indicator she following her doctor's advice and react according to her recover progress from the injury.

I mean to post this before, but rather put an whatever there.....She saw doctor Monday, got initial treatment, and going back to the rink wait for 45 min, thought it was OK, she put on the skates but only able for couple of laps. (since Dr. told her that after the treatment, she will feel less pain. But I guess what Dr. mean is the long term, not right after the treatment. According to ppl who got the same priscription it is really painful could last for several days)....then Tuesday she tried again (got this from the media) in vain. Reluctantly(she was insisting to Campbell at Monday) agreed to pull out from the Campbell (they were originally scheduled to leave for Campbell at Thursday)......she stayed off ice unitl last Tuesday. Only able to skate very briefly Wednsday morning.....Friday she tried again.....based on what I heard, I think she was doing what she could to achieve a quick recovery (against the odd of Dr Yu's prediction), but after a few days trying, seeing it is impossible then announce another withdrawl......anyway, I thought it was very clear in USFS first announce of her withdraw from Campbell, it is unlikely she'll be in CoC. Her injury was worse than what I first heard (from unofficial channel) when I heard from USFS's announcement.....yet still ppl have a big beef. Oh well, that's the reality, isn't it?'

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree with many of you here. The chances of her going to COC were very slim, at best. As to why she waited to announce it ... maybe she was holding out for that last hope that she could do it, but finally conceded there just wasn't enough time. Not really hard to understand IMO.
As a side note ... over at MKF there is a poster claiming that MK's new music is Rach's "Isle of the Dead." Here's the link to the thread, and someone has also posted there a download of the music.

http://p216.ezboard.com/fmichellekw...ssageRange?topicID=9677.topic&start=1&stop=20

tripleflutz

On the Ice
I think Michelle and Sasha will both do Winter Marshall's in December. They've both skated in that competition in the past, so why not now when they both need a competition before US Nats?

But after Nats, I think they'll both skip the 4 Continents comp. and let the younger Ladies go to that one.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Well, I'd say her "slow drip" of withdrawls is an indicator she following her doctor's advice and react according to her recover progress from the injury.
I don't think she should ignore her doctor's advice. Given the timeline that she'd be back on the ice -- not in time to train for CoC -- she could have withdrawn from both events up front. I suspect the reason she didn't had to do with Cinquanta.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
disapointing michele

i think she is not as injured as she says and hope they give the national oly and nworld titiles to who really earns it. it won't help her or sasha if they are playing games this year. i expected this news no matter what shape she is in. I hope sasha shows up to her other GP event, or diss on her too.

mzheng

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
I don't think she should ignore her doctor's advice. Given the timeline that she'd be back on the ice -- not in time to train for CoC -- she could have withdrawn from both events up front. I suspect the reason she didn't had to do with Cinquanta.
Well, whatever she does there always be some beef. She can't please every one, she can only do what she thought is best for her.

Why it has to do with Cinquanta? She was not the first aim in that ISU letter send out last year, it was Plushen. She was the aim of a letter sent out at 2003 GPF, where Cinquanta explicitely urge USFS to make Kwan appears at GPF, yet, she diddn't....Here this time, imo, she just wanted to see after two weeks off ice, if there is any outside chance she can recover quickly to be able to at CoC. She knew what she needs this season....She diddn't give up the hope until she sees it's impossible. The logic is that simple. Yet so hard to understand for some.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Bijoux said:
i think she is not as injured as she says and hope they give the national oly and nworld titiles to who really earns it. it won't help her or sasha if they are playing games this year. i expected this news no matter what shape she is in. I hope sasha shows up to her other GP event, or diss on her too.

:disapp:

Now, that's just sad... Are we, figure skating fans, so far gone that we cannot even accept that an athlete is injured??? From a physical sport??? What sense does this make? It sucks for the fans & the athlete but what can you do? These things happen and that's just life... sheesh... Michelle will be fine, Sasha will be fine, the world will not end & the olympics will be their normal drama filled self.

until then, just enjoy your bad coverage on ESPN...

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I like your name KF

I can see my gut reaction offended a kwaniac. sorry, but I feel athletes in FS are now using any injury, and pain is so subjective one of the elite will certainly be backed up by one's personal orthopod, to get out of comps if others are skating better, it's not going well in practice etc. So call me a cynic or sceptic...you have a right to your gut feelings... i do too. :agree:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Why it has to do with Cinquanta? She was not the first aim in that ISU letter send out last year, it was Plushen.
Plushenko was the last straw. Kwan was the first one, several years ago, when she chose not to do GPs and to perform in the cheezefests. That dance and pairs teams have done the same seems irrelevent to him, since little TV revenue is generated by those disciplines in the US market.

Everyone seems to be very careful this year about getting a doctor's note since Cinquanta threatened to ban skaters from the Olympics and Worlds if they turned down GP events uninjured. And it's especially important for Kwan to establish good faith that she tried really hard to compete in GP, if she does appear at Marshall's in December.

mzheng

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Everyone seems to be very careful this year about getting a doctor's note since Cinquanta threatened to ban skaters from the Olympics and Worlds if they turned down GP events uninjured. And it's especially important for Kwan to establish good faith that she tried really hard to compete in GP, if she does appear at Marshall's in December.
He(ISU) can ban her from Worlds(an ISU competetion) but not Olympics(an IOC competetion).....and at this point I suspect if she is interested in Worlds.

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
He(ISU) can ban her from Worlds(an ISU competetion) but not Olympics(an IOC competetion).....and at this point I suspect if she is interested in Worlds.

If she doesn't skate at all this season, how can she still go to the Olympics? If she does isn't this unfair to the other skaters that skate in most of the competitions.(Now that would be a Scandel)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
hockeyfan228 said:
Plushenko was the last straw. Kwan was the first one, several years ago, when she chose not to do GPs and to perform in the cheezefests. That dance and pairs teams have done the same seems irrelevent to him, since little TV revenue is generated by those disciplines in the US market.
... .

The first time Kwan skipped the GP and did cheesefests (they were pro-ams, then) was in the '98/'99 season -- when the ISU sanctioned a bunch of them to keep skaters from turning pro. In the '02/'03 season, Kwan stepped in to do SA after Hughes withdrew, claiming injury (but Hughes did cheesefests) and $peedy said it was "paramount" that Kwan do the GPF, but she didn't -- and $peedy didn't do anything then, nor did he do anything when Michelle skipped the GP. If Michelle was starting a trend, then it sure took the ISU a suspicioiusly long time to do anything about it.