Michelle - Good News/Bad News | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Michelle - Good News/Bad News

R.D.

Record Breaker
millie said:
If she doesn't skate at all this season, how can she still go to the Olympics? If she does isn't this unfair to the other skaters that skate in most of the competitions.(Now that would be a Scandel)

Well- In order to qualify for the OLYs Kwan just needs to show up at Nats and skate. As long as she does this she's going to the Olympics. If she pulls out, then that's tough for her- I don't think they'll let her go without competing at Nats (or will they really chack the 3rd place finisher just to make room for her!?).

I personally think it's up to Kwan as to what competitions she wants to do. She just has to understand the pros and cons of not doing any competitions. Maybe it was justifiable in 2003 but once the new scoring system came out, that's when she drew most criticism.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
millie said:
If she doesn't skate at all this season, how can she still go to the Olympics? If she does isn't this unfair to the other skaters that skate in most of the competitions.(Now that would be a Scandel)

Blame the USFSA, if you think skaters should have to do GP to go to Olys. Under the existing rules, federations pick the teams, and, subject to IOC requirements (like citizenship), the federations set the criteria. The USFSA rules provide that the Nat champ is guaranteed go (if otherwise eligible) other team members are chosen, but the biggest factor is placement at Nats.

mzheng

Record Breaker
millie said:
My mistake, I should've say if she qualify for US Olympic team through US Nationals (yes, sounds like a plan so far)......after all she said she would TRY in a interview, IIRC. Be very careful these days with the words you chose. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
In the '02/'03 season, Kwan stepped in to do SA after Hughes withdrew, claiming injury (but Hughes did cheesefests) and $peedy said it was "paramount" that Kwan do the GPF, but she didn't -- and $peedy didn't do anything then, nor did he do anything when Michelle skipped the GP. If Michelle was starting a trend, then it sure took the ISU a suspicioiusly long time to do anything about it.
It actually took a interestingly long time for another skater to realize that he was in the same class as Kwan and could set his own schedule.

As far as Cinquanta's claim that it was "paramount" for Kwan to do GPF, he didn't threaten her with expulsion at that time, like he did (generally) in his warning letter last year. Her reasonable reply to 2002-3 was that she saved the day for the ISU in Skate America, and she shouldn't have to suffer because of it.

Speaking of saving the day at Skate America, has anyone heard the attendance figures for last week's show? Did the event sink because Sasha and Michelle pulled out?

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Bijoux said:
I can see my gut reaction offended a kwaniac. sorry, but I feel athletes in FS are now using any injury, and pain is so subjective one of the elite will certainly be backed up by one's personal orthopod, to get out of comps if others are skating better, it's not going well in practice etc. So call me a cynic or sceptic...you have a right to your gut feelings... i do too. :agree:

Well, I hope FS isn't the only sport you watch because athletes get injured in every sport and get their "orthopod" to get them out of playing whatever sport they participate in. I'm sure that's the case. I'm sure those athletes are just using any little pain to get out of playing or skating or whatever they do. I mean, pain IS, after all, subjective, isn't it? Like the pain I'm feeling right now.:rofl:

Yep, bijoux, you're certainly entitled to your gut feeling. I just happen to believe what someone's doctor says no matter which athlete it is. I figure the athlete feels the pain, the doctor examines and that's that. Now if I were a fly on the wall, I'd know TRUTH, but I'm not, so I don't. So my gut feeling tells me that all these skaters, starting with Ms. Kwan, are injured just like their "orthopods" say they are. And I wish them all speedy recoveries.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
The USFSA has always backed Michelle, and as long as they continue to do so $peedy doesn't dare do anything to her. Since the USFSA is packed with Michelle and Sasha fans he can't even demand that the USFSA do anything to the girls that they themselves wouldn't be inclined to do on their own. He needs USFSA support to keep his job, and he's not going to take them on over this. If he banned a skater against the wishes of a Federation he would start a great deal of trouble for himself, since the USFSA would think that the ban will cost the USA a medal in Turino. If he banned her he would also be taking on the USOC and the IOC which would be very put out if Michelle is banned from Turino. The USFSA might go to court over it, and who knows where something like that could lead. So although he could ban her since the IOC recognizes the ISU as the sole sactioning body for the skaters, I just don't see how he could get away with it, it would be political suicide.
I think that the USFSA support for Michelle also creates an umbrella of protection for Sasha and all the other USFSA skaters. As long as they have USFSA support, $peedy doesn't dare do anything but howl and threaten.

mzheng

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
It actually took a interestingly long time for another skater to realize that he was in the same class as Kwan and could set his own schedule.
Only if he hadn't scheduled skated in a show the same night of his withdrawn GP......to Cinquanta this might mean a blunt chalange to his/ISU authority.

mzheng

Record Breaker
realistic51 said:
Now if I were a fly on the wall, I'd know TRUTH, but I'm not, so I don't. So my gut feeling tells me that all these skaters, starting with Ms. Kwan, are injured just like their "orthopods" say they are. And I wish them all speedy recoveries.
Well, even if you are a fly on the wall you wouldn't know, would you? Unless you are the nerve in their body. :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
tripleflutz said:
The USFSA has always backed Michelle, and as long as they continue to do so $peedy doesn't dare do anything to her. Since the USFSA is packed with Michelle and Sasha fans he can't even demand that the USFSA do anything to the girls that they themselves wouldn't be inclined to do on their own. He needs USFSA support to keep his job, and he's not going to take them on over this.
Say which skating federation does not back up their own skater?
USFSA certainly don't have control over whatever $peedy does, he certainly does not need USFSA support his position. USFSA is on of the lead federation, who against the CoP couple of season ago, what happened? It pushed through by $peedy nevertherless.

kyla2

Final Flight
Threat To Skaters...

The threat to skaters who don't do the Grand Prix Series isn't being banned from competing at the Olympics, or Worlds for that matter, but from the politicking that goes on behind the scenes. You know, the understanding among each other (judges) that they will find a way to take it out on the non-participating skaters in the scores. It is a very likely that if the skaters are close in their performances, the skater who participates in the Grand Prix Series will be given the edge. I am not being paranoid. I only wish I was. They would never directly confront the American Figure Skating Association or the skaters, but they will deal with it in their own way.

euterpe

Medalist
The judges don't give a darn about who goes to the GP and who doesn't. They get their judging assignments and that's that. Attendance at the GP is Speedy's gripe.

Yes, the judges are wheeling and dealing, and probably more so now that they're protected from public scrutiny. But I don't see Kwan necessarily being the sacrificial goat. She could actually be the Sarah Hughes who comes out of the woodwork and takes it all, because Judges A, B and C gave Irina high marks and Sasha low marks, and Judges X, Y and Z the reverse, and Kwan winds up the default victor.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
:biggrin: .....LOL...once again I will try and insert some positive energy into this thread. Enough of the nitpicky arguments and negativity.....the girl is back on the ice! Can't we just be happy that a great champion is back in the game and possibly headed towards a third Olympic appearance? She has worked so hard for this and I wish her the best. I only hope Sasha can recover quickly enough to resume proper training.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Bijoux said:
I can see my gut reaction offended a kwaniac. sorry, but I feel athletes in FS are now using any injury, and pain is so subjective one of the elite will certainly be backed up by one's personal orthopod, to get out of comps if others are skating better, it's not going well in practice etc. So call me a cynic or sceptic...you have a right to your gut feelings... i do too. :agree:

No, your gut reaction didn't offend a kwaniac, it offended me... Yes, I am an uber, who enjoys being an uber because it makes the season more fun to root for someone I enjoy ~ I don't see the point of the non-fan status... but more importantly, I understand that life happens, espcially when one is a pro athlete, under intense pressure to perform & the sometimes this results in an injury that prevents an athlete from performing... and somehow, I don't think that one gets to the level of Kwan & Cohen by screaming "I'm hurt!" when the nerves kick in... and that's my gut reaction. But I'm a realist.

This holds true for either my favorite Michelle Kwan & my not so favorite Sasha Cohen. Sometimes ya just gotta be a grown up & let it go...

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Err...same thing? :biggrin: Sorry, just couldn't resist :eek:

Stop it... I am more than a Kwaniac.... But ya gotta admit its funny how far over the edge skating fans go during an olympic year.;)

But I understand why people take offense to the type of post we are talking about. If you say, my gut reaction is that Michelle needs to present more difficult spin positions and Sasha ought to work on a triple-triple -- OK. Someone else might be of the opinion that Sasha can win without a triple-triple and Michelle would be better off taking it easy and making sure she doesn't aggrevate her injury any further. Thats OK, too.

But if your gut reaction is that Michelle and Sasha are -- yet again, the wicked little bold-faces! -- lying through their teeth (no evidence of this, you understand, I just have this feeling), well, naturally folks who have developed a liking and respect for their favorite gals won't be pleased to hear it.

MM

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
Attendence

Mathman, I was there and yes the arena was empty. I did hear a lot of fans saying they had friends or relatives who didnt attend because they were only there to see Michelle. When Sasha didnt show that was the nail in the coffin. I talked to lots of people and most were disappointed as was I. I went to see Michelle and other then Alissa and BeBe of course the skaters were not very inspiring . The programs were rubber stamped elements all the same. BeBe did have chore. but fell twice so that was that. I saw the men and the winner was the only one who got the audience excited. Pairs were the best event of SA.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think if Kwan wanted to fake an injury she would have done so after her SP at 2005 Worlds. Repeating what I said in an earlier post, accusing her of faking an injury is saying that she lied. How come no one accused Slutwskaya of faking her illness?