Dopey Peter Carruthers | Golden Skate

Dopey Peter Carruthers

S

SkateFan4Life

Sorry, this is a few days late, but I had to mention this. IMHO, Peter Carruthers deserves a gold medal for "most stupid interview question", when he shoved the microphone in Evan Lyaseck's face and said (to paraphrase), "Now with Timothy Goebel's poor skating, you're assured a place on the Olympic team. How does that feel?" Evan, to his credit, answered the question with a lot of class and said that he (Evan) needed to get back to the ice, practice and improve his program.

Would somebody kindly remind Carruthers that Timothy has not disqualified himself from making the US Olympic team with his poor showing at Skate America? It's early in the season!! Duh. :scowl: :scowl:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Yeah, Peter was a jerk. I did not like him at all.

I kept telling him as I was watching him on TV to shut the hell up, God

It was like Christine Brennan at the 2005 Worlds when she kept asking Tatiana about the fall

Ugh, Just shut up all ready :laugh:

ATW27

On the Ice
Not to say that Carruther's is completely without guilt here, but I'd be willing to bet that he asked questions like that mainly because his producer told him to. It's like Kimmie talking during Miki Ando's SP at Worlds last season... I think she and Terry kept on talking because that is what the producer wanted. I'm sure, given the choice, Kimmie would prefered to just sit back and watch. So, I think the ABC/ESPN production crew is the main driving force behind things such as these, if you ask me.

Andy W.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
ATW- I agree completely. I'm not ready to "lay the smack down" so to speak on Peter just yet. But you know what? I think ABC/ESPN might be trying to hype up the Olympic season in part by asking these questions. If you think about it, it's damned if they do, damned if they don't. How much would you like to bet that if Peter asked the same standard questions, people would be ragging on him for asking the "same old, same old" questions over and over again? Then, when he tries a different approach, he gets blasted as well? You can never win.

Also- If F.S. is supposed to be considered a sport, they SHOULD be asking more questions like this, IMO. It's up to the skaters as to whether they want to sidestep the questions or not. (and I must admit, I hate some of these questions as well, but at least it's somewhat different than the "same old same old".) I believe that most of the time, they will...maybe Peter should think about asking the questions in a different way in order to get the answer that they want...JMO.

Just playing Devil's Advocate

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It wasn't just the Evan vs. Tim question; IMO, he was rude to Elena also. I'm just waiting for one of the skaters to simply zing him right back -- (one poster on the usfsa board suggested Evan asking Peter if he asked Michael Weiss the same question about Evan at Campbell's)