Czisny Continues To Surprise | Golden Skate

Czisny Continues To Surprise

millie

Medalist
I don't know if this should go into spoiler or not! This is from "The Evening Telegram" Weekend Edition, St John's, Newfoundland. If this has to be moved, please move it. Thanks.

ALissa Czisny is making headlines early in the Grand Prix firure skating season. Alissa who?
Crisny who was all but ignored in finishing seventh at the U.S. nationals last winter,----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This shocker comes a week after the 18m year old American came out of nowhere to win silver at Skate America in Atlantic City, N.J. after getting in as a substitute.
Crisny scored 58.54 points form her short program, former world bronze medallist with 52.12 and Canadian champion Joannie Rochette was third with 50.68.
"It's better than what I did at Skate America and a personal best for me" said Crisny.
She scored high in spins, spirals and footwork and com[leted all the required jumps cleanly.
Crisny almost didn't make it to St>john's.
She went home to Ohio from Atlantic City on Monday and travelled to Detriot Tuesday for a practice and flight was cancelled.
A missed connection Wednesday stranded her in New York hotel overnight. She practised in New Jersey on Thursday and finally arived in St. john's at midnight.
I'm tired, but I'm used to skating tired so I just tried to go out there thinking about my jumps," she said.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
The announcement of Alissa's Skate Canada placement and her quote IS a spoiler, so if you just delete those two sentences, the announcement should be OK...or just repost it in the SC section :)

Also..the title is very attention grabbing...:scratch:

Yeah, I tink I'd better move this to the Events folder, just to be on the safe side. Although it has already been on television in Canada, we wo't get to se it in the U.S. until November 6th. :cry:

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think people are forgetting how weak the GP ladies' fields are at these events. How will she do once it all comes together? Point totals are what we have to look at. Yes, she's making progress, but I'm not quite sold on her yet.

Weak? It's got the reigning World's bronze medallist (Kostner),a two-time Worlds medalist (Suguri), the current Canadian champion (Rochette)...AND (my girl) Yukari Nakano, the first lady to land a triple Axel since the days of Tonya Harding and Midori Ito!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Weak? It's got the reigning World's bronze medallist (Kostner),a two-time Worlds medalist (Suguri), the current Canadian champion (Rochette)...AND (my girl) Yukari Nakano, the first lady to land a triple Axel since the days of Tonya Harding and Midori Ito!

You don't have:

Slutskaya
Cohen
Kwan
Meissner
Arakawa
Ando

All of which could place above Alissa and give her a run for her money at any time. Even "Bebe" Liang IIRC topped her at Campbell's. Sorry, not ready to give in yet :laugh:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm not viewing Alissa's last 3 programs (SA sp & lp, SC sp) as a "here comes our new Oly / World / National Champion! I view her as a very talented, possibly coming into her own, young skater who will be "one to watch" at this years events, but a potential future star in the next Oly cycle.

She has much yet to show us and prove to herself. I don't think anyone has said "here's the one who will upset Irina this year."

Just pointing out the context for my own comments about her.

DG

Red Dog said:
You don't have:

Slutskaya
Cohen
Kwan...
Arakawa...
I say, put the old grey mares out to pasture!

Doggygirl said:
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm not viewing Alissa's last 3 programs (SA sp & lp, SC sp) as a "here comes our new Oly / World / National Champion!
Oh yeah? That's what they said about Sarah Hughes. That's what they said about Tara Lipinski. That's what they said about Oksana Baiul. That's what they said about Kris...

OK, they didn't say that about any of these great champions...

Never mind.

MM:)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

Oh yeah? That's what they said about Sarah Hughes. That's what they said about Tara Lipinski. That's what they said about Oksana Baiul. That's what they said about Kris...

Never mind.

Precisely Mathman!! If we start SAYING Alissa will when Oly gold, then her medal, which is already in the bag, will slip away from her and go to some underseving Old Gray Mare such as Irina, Michelle, Sasha, Shiz, or one of those undeserving people.

DG

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

Never mind.

LOL! All i can say is thank goodness I colored my hair this morning (i was going to go for a 'new look' hair cut, but chickened out at the last second)...

Red Dog said:
Point totals are what we have to look at.
Well, just for a quickie, Alissa got 159.30 points in her second place finish at Skate America. She is about 6 points ahead of that pace now.

For comparison, here are the totals from the Grand Prix Finals last year.

Slutskaya 180.88
Arakawa 160.24
Rochette 156.10
Ando 151.10
Onda 138.22
Phaneuf 134.06

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting, MM- but does that take into account the addition of the level 4 element? (I think point totals will be raised because of that, and for that reason I don't think we can directly compare Alissa to last years' scores- correct me if I'm off)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Interesting, MM- but does that take into account the addition of the level 4 element? (I think point totals will be raised because of that, and for that reason I don't think we can directly compare Alissa to last years' scores- correct me if I'm off)

When I read the rule changes over the summer, it looks like for the most part, a level was added at the bottom. As a general rule, it looked to me like the old values for level 3 pretty much = the values for level 4 this year. Some additional definitions were introduced that make it harder to achieve a L4 this year in some types of elements (as a good example, read the stuff about Biellmann's on the ISU site) than it was to achieve L3 last year.

I qualify this by saying I'm still very much a student, so I will be interested in more input on the L3 (last year) L4 (this year) definitions.

DG