Tips on Keeping a Hip Back | Golden Skate

Tips on Keeping a Hip Back

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Another test coming up--I'm taking prepre MIF next Friday. I am fine with the spiral (if anything staying on the flat of the blade is the challenge), fine with the stroking, forward edges, and as good as I'm likely to get on the waltz eight between now and next week. The thing I'm hanging up on is my back edges, especially back right outside. The problem seems to be that my free hip (left) just opens up, flipping my free leg back. Fighting to keep the leg in front usually just puts me off balance and frustrates me, probably because the problem seems to be more in the hip than the leg. Does anyone have any tips/exercises for back edges? And, more generally, suggestions for working a 'weak' side? I have a harder time pushing from the left, especially going backwards--it's like my food just..flicks out and a bit to the side, instead of staying forward. My right side, the stronger one, doesn't have this problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I

IcyBallerina

You may want to experiment a little with the push between edges. What you describe has happened to me, usually because I'm lifting up my freefoot too early.
Other than that, remember to lift your free hip (no sinking into it) and check your upper body and hips hard.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Upper body/core muscle check--got it. Do not hold breath while checking--must remember this. (I've developed the weirdest habit of holding my breath while skating--one of these days I'm going to black out.)

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
julietvalcouer said:
Upper body/core muscle check--got it. Do not hold breath while checking--must remember this. (I've developed the weirdest habit of holding my breath while skating--one of these days I'm going to black out.)

I was in group class on Friday, we were working on crossovers on the circle, when my coach yells out "Breathe, Terry".....I was holding my breath!! We were going CW which is my BAD direction! Everyone was laughing (including me!)

Both of my coaches tell me to hold the abs in all the time-never let them relax--for spins, jumps, stroking, spirals (esp spirals!), etc....

When you have a strong upper body check, the lower body will be easier to control!!! Good Luck!

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
My coach is constantly telling me to breathe. I get so focused and concentrated on what I'm doing that for some reason I just stop remembering to breathe.

Glad to hear I'm not alone! :clap:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Practicing for Preliminary Moves and the checking just gets harder--that one with three-turns again, this time having to check and step on to exactly the foot I don't want to without having any intermediate steps.

However, weirdly, in the warm-ups and the actual test session last Friday, I nailed every single three-turn and haven't had any real problems with either one since. It's like all of a sudden whatever was causing problems, especially on the left, just went away. I realized Wednesday I'd done a three-turn at (for me, when it comes to turns) high speed, on my 'bad' foot, without thinking about it. Weird. I hope mohawks get as easy as outside threes just did.