Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Predictions

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao, Olympic eligibility or not, was not held back one iota at CoC. She couldn't catch Irina in the FS because Mao didn't do her 3A or 3/3s, but she did hand in a top performance. Mao may not win gold at TEB, but I do expect to see her on the podium because even with mistakes, her TES scores are very high.

Shizuka is very mindful of the race for an Olympic spot, and she will want to improve on her CoC effort. Shizuka always gets at least mid-7s on her PCS scores (to Mao's mid-6s), and that will stand her in good stead.

Then there is Elena, who has her problems with stroking, but she is capable of selling her programs with her sparkling personality, and she is in good competition shape this season so far.

Joannie is a good, strong skater, but she comes across as rather bland and colorless. She has a good choreographer, but the skater has to sell the program, and Joannie just doesn't seem to know how to do that. The elevator muzak selections she picked for her SP and FS don't help her and won't impress the judges.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I am a huge Joannie fan, and think she is definitely something special; I just don't know what it is yet. But, I too, am very disappointed with her music selections this year. Last year Firebird was a Firebird that we have never seen before, despite the common music. It was unique, quirky, and she pulled it off. And that coupled with a great short program, were a great combination, and she got credit for that program (the LP) where it was due. All of her placings, besides maybe behind Shiz at GPF were fairly accurate. Her worlds program was a meltdown, and she deserved the scores she got there.

This season's programs on the other hand, aren't anything unique. Joannie doesn't have the incredibly smooth quality, that just watching her do crossovers sends shivers down or spine, so she does need different choreography than a lot of other skaters. She needs choreography that isn't all about the soft, smooth glides, and musicality. She had that choreography last year, and I had the feeling like she had nowhere to go but down. Anyways, maybe it is just early in the season, and the choreography will shine once she starts landing all the jumps, but for now, as a Joannie fan, I'm underwhelmed.

CDMM

P.S. Two beautiful costumes though, mind you I think they might be a bit too similar.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Men -

1. Weiss (just you wait & see!!!!)
2. Buttle
3. Joubert

Women -
1. Asada
2. Meissner
3. Cohen [Dyrtr, if Cohen doesn't show]

Pairs -
1. Tot/Marinin
2. Pang/Tong
3. Inoue/Baldwin

Dance -
1. Delobel/Schoen
2. Grush/Gonch
3. Matthews/Zav

R.D.

Record Breaker
Women -
1. Asada
2. Meissner
3. Cohen [Dyrtr, if Cohen doesn't show]

These ought to be hopes...in fact, they'd BETTER be hopes :eek: :laugh:

Cohen in third place in this field (if she shows up)? I can't imagine that. Just like I can't imagine Irina NOT winning either the OGM or OSM next year. But this is JMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cohen's just confirmed that she's going to TEB.

So, she shouldn't really have too much trouble winning here (however since she is recovering from illness/injury I don't expect her to have a fabulous performance).

euterpe

Medalist
Her injury was very minor (a bruise and a cut) and she was back practicing triples a week after SA. She lost just about 10 days heavy practice time, that's all, and has had a month to prepare for TEB.

Her Campbell's performance was good enough to beat Shizuka, Kimmie and Joannie, so I'd say Sasha is in good shape to romp here.

I didn't know Sasha was ill as well as suffering with the back ache.

She should not have any problem with this competition, and she loves Paris so she'll be in a good mood to skate.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I didn't know Sasha was ill as well as suffering with the back ache.

She said she was ill in her latest journal entry, where she confirms that she's heading for Paris soon.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha had a cold, she's over it now, and she didn't miss any training because of it.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I can tell you this much -- I'm not entering this gold picks contest UNTIL NOVEMBER 16TH haha ... I really don't trust Sasha on this one ;)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
CDMM1991 said:
I can tell you this much -- I'm not entering this gold picks contest UNTIL NOVEMBER 16TH haha ... I really don't trust Sasha on this one ;)

IMO, if the French police can't get the riots under control by the time the skaters need to fly to Paris, Sasha -- and all other non-French skaters -- would be fully justified in withdrawing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are no riots anywhere near Bercy, where the competition is. As of today, the violence has subsided and security is tight in central Paris.

Sure, skaters can withdraw, citing concern over the riots. Whether or not that is a justifiable excuse remains to be seen. If the competition proceeds as scheduled and most of the competitors are present, the withdrawees are going to look foolish.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I pick Cohen to win, but I'm not counting on her to have a good performance.

Now, watch her not win....

CDMM1991

Medalist
I gave in, and entered already. Sasha better be on a plane to France next week or I'll be very angry :p

So anyways, my picks were Sasha, Jeff, T/M, D/S
I've had bad luck so far with these contests, and for some reason I don't think this one is going to be any better. Anyways, I just want it to start!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I picked Buttle, Cohen, T&M, and Del & Sch

Edited to add: Hey! that's the same as CDMM1991!!!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I picked Buttle, Cohen, T&M, and Del & Sch

Edited to add: Hey! that's the same as CDMM1991!!!

My only difference in picks from these is Joubert. We shall see....I don't think either have shown any "skates on fire" so far this season. I'm actually rooting for Joubert and Buttle to do well since they are both on my Grand Prix Team!!! :)

DG