New LP for Evan! | Golden Skate

New LP for Evan!

Linny

Final Flight
those particular music cuts

The particular music cuts from Grease that they picked were the problem, IMO, not so much the choice of Grease. I'd rather they rework than scrap but certainly scrapping is better than continuing with what they had.
Linny

euterpe

Medalist
Take the best of the "Grease" snippets and make an exhibition program out of them.

But YAY! at killing "Grease" as a FS.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
**Warning**

If you read the linked article beyond the Lysacek part, it contains a COC spoiler.

I'm REALLY glad Evan has dumped this program. Might make for a rough outing at NHK, but absolutely for the best in the long term!

DG

Last edited:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Smart move! While it wasn't a terrible progr4am it didn't do him any justice. Although I am a little concerned he won't have enough time to refine a new program.

Absolutely the right move. :clap: The Grease program was just too lightweight to be competitive. Last year's song and dance man was fine for what it was, but now that Evan is a serious contender, he's got to bring his best stuff.

MM

jesslily

Final Flight
His Grease music cut or the music its self does not have a sound and memorable tone in it. The choreography is empty and messy. I was surprised that Frank Carroll said his program highly before he got on the ice for Campbell. Anyway, it's wise that he starts a new program with new music.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
We are seeing more and more awful music choices. Skaters pay tens of thousands of dollars for top level coaching, choreography, costumes etc. and then rely on their own taste or the taste of a coach for musical selections. They are clueless. And with musical knowledge and appreciation plummeting in the USA, I only see the situation getting worse. But then I can't understand how a tv show like American Idol, designed to appeal to latency aged children lasted for more than 2 weeks anyway. Go figure. If the trend in awful music continues, at least the USFSA will be able to make extra money selling earplugs at competitions:rofl: I am glad that Evan is mature enough to realize how awful his music was and is able to correct the situation.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
Absolutely the right move. :clap: The Grease program was just too lightweight to be competitive. Last year's song and dance man was fine for what it was, but now that Evan is a serious contender, he's got to bring his best stuff.

MM

Evan a serious contender, LOL! Maybe if Plushenko, Takahashi, Lambiel, Sandhu, Weir, Buttle, Sandhu, all miss the Olympics with injury he is a serious contender for the bronze medal. Otherwise nada.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Evan a serious contender, LOL! Maybe if Plushenko, Takahashi, Lambiel, Sandhu, Weir, Buttle, Sandhu, all miss the Olympics with injury he is a serious contender for the bronze medal. Otherwise nada.

He's the reigning World bronze medalist. Do names like "Alexei Urmanov" or "Sarah Hughes" ring a bell?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
attyfan said:
He's the reigning World bronze medalist. Do names like "Alexei Urmanov" or "Sarah Hughes" ring a bell?

Do other names like Vanessa Gusmeroli(97 World bronze medalist), Caryn Kadavy(87 World bronze medalist), or Todd Eldredge(91 and 2001 World bronze medalist)ring a bell? I think he is far more likely to fall into that category.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Do other names like Vanessa Gusmeroli(97 World bronze medalist), Caryn Kadavy(87 World bronze medalist), or Todd Eldredge(91 and 2001 World bronze medalist)ring a bell? I think he is far more likely to fall into that category.

That some reigning world bronze medalists haven't won the OGM doesn't alter the fact that, as the reigning world bronze medalist, he is a serious contender for a medal without everyone else having to get hurt. IMO, they were all serious contenders; it just worked out better for some than for others.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
attyfan said:
That some reigning world bronze medalists haven't won the OGM doesn't alter the fact that, as the reigning world bronze medalist, he is a serious contender for a medal without everyone else having to get hurt. IMO, they were all serious contenders; it just worked out better for some than for others.

Yes I am sure everybody was seriously considering Gusmeroli's chances at the 98 Olympics. :rofl:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Thank Goodness!!!

I think its a very bad decision when a skater selects music from the "pops" category, particularily in an olympic year. In the olden days {read mid 90s} judges from the eastern block really frowned on programs to popular music. There used to be the same stigma in gymnastics floor programs, now more and more of those programs are to electronicky sounding junk.

I'm not saying you should always play it safe, for instance his program from last year was first rate and very classy... but no matter how much I love grease, it has no business being used outside of a exhibition routine.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I'm also glad that Evan decided to scrap his "Grease" program.....I almost fell asleep watching him skate!

I think Evan has a shot at Olympic medal. Plushenko probably already has the gold medal(unless he completely bombs), but as far the I'm concerned the silver and bronze are still up in the air. I see Joubert, Buttle, Goebel, Weir, Sandhu, Lambiel, and Takahasi/Honda(which ever one qualifies) as contenders for these medals, with Lysacek right up there with them. However, I don't see him being on the podium unless others faulter. If Goebel can get back to the form he was in several years ago I see him winning the silver medal, and I'm not even going to try to call the bronze. The field has completely opened up, probably because of the new judging system, and at this point it could be anyones game. Lysacek will need the preformance of his life though with mistakes from the above mentioned in order to have a chance, and I definitely don't think that is completely out of reach. Just look at the twists and turns this year seems to be taking...a lot of surprise winners on the GP circuit so far because of the mistakes of the top contenders.....

jesslily

Final Flight
He did great job for 2003 and 2004. This year the two performances he attended were not that promising. Hope the new program will bring him inspiration and luck

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
*~RussianBleux~* said:
I'm also glad that Evan decided to scrap his "Grease" program.....I almost fell asleep watching him skate!

I think Evan has a shot at Olympic medal. Plushenko probably already has the gold medal(unless he completely bombs), but as far the I'm concerned the silver and bronze are still up in the air. I see Joubert, Buttle, Goebel, Weir, Sandhu, Lambiel, and Takahasi/Honda(which ever one qualifies) as contenders for these medals, with Lysacek right up there with them. However, I don't see him being on the podium unless others faulter. If Goebel can get back to the form he was in several years ago I see him winning the silver medal, and I'm not even going to try to call the bronze. The field has completely opened up, probably because of the new judging system, and at this point it could be anyones game. Lysacek will need the preformance of his life though with mistakes from the above mentioned in order to have a chance, and I definitely don't think that is completely out of reach. Just look at the twists and turns this year seems to be taking...a lot of surprise winners on the GP circuit so far because of the mistakes of the top contenders.....

I definitely dont agree about Goebel being a frontrunner for silver, even if he gets back to his old form. Others can kill him on the PCS scores, and the spin scores. I agree on Plushenko being pretty safe for the gold. Lambiel, Takahashi(because of his SA performance), Sandhu(because of his GP performances so far), Buttle, and if he is healthy Weir, would be the top contenders for silver and bronze at this point. Joubert has become very inconsistent and he relies on his jumps alot anyway, he and Lysacek, Goebel, Lindemann, Li, and the 2nd Russian male, would be the real long shots if the aforementioned group all really falter.

By the way I fully expect Takahashi to get the lone Japanese spot, even Honda's best non-quad skating didnt score very well at Skate Canada, his stature in the sport has dropped, and once he adds the quad he will become less consistent.
I also fully expect Lysacek, Weir, and Goebel to get the 3 U.S spots unless Weir does not recover from his injury.

rob43

On the Ice
That would be odd- the same person taking the last spot on 3 consecutive Oly teams.

I wouldn't count Janke of Savoie out of the 3rd spot if they skated lights out & the others stumbled. I think Savoie would have made the 02 team under COP.

As for the Olympics- right now Takahashi might be the only one who looks close to consistent and that has to count for something. I think seeing who qualifies GPF and who medals might tell the tale. (and Plushy might qualify with 1 GP gold.)