Winter MARSHALL's LIVE TV | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Winter MARSHALL's LIVE TV

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Mathman said:
But why shouldn't figure skating take a shot at the current fad for interactive "unscripted" (I can't bring myself to say "reality") TV, a la American Idol and Dance with the Stars. It might be fun, it might stir up some pre-Olympic interest, and we might find out once and for all if the Michelle Kwan Forum really is so powerful that they can rally millions of voters to the glorious cause, LOL. ;)

Mathman :)

I can think of lots of reasons. AI is a children's show. If you want to go that route, put the Marshalls thing on during Saturday morning cartoons. They could have the "competitors" costumed in fashions by Walmart. Maybe a tie in with the Shopping Network? Get your Johnny outfit here? Percentage of the sales donated to the USFSA. Maybe have advertizing on the skater's butts! I will plan a tasteful evening or afternoon when this disaster airs. I certainly have no plans to watch. I would rather watch paint dry.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Assuming the 900 number for voting is the same as other 900 numbers (i.e. there is a CHARGE for the call) then we are truly to the bottom of things!! Has anyone found out for sure if it IS a fee based call, and if so, how much? The USFSA stands to make a lot of money here me thinks. Probably MUCH more from call in votes than from ticket sales.

They won't be getting my $ for a call, that's for sure!

I fell bad for Alissa's travel. The time difference between the east coast US and Tokyo is something like 14 or 15 hours. So by the time the event is over, it will already be late afternoon on Monday in Tokyo. I hope she has enough time to fly, get past the jet lag, make her practice sessions, etc. It will be interesting to see if she ends up participating in the Cheesiest Cheesefest once the time actually draws near.

DG

Party poopers. While you-all are grousing and grumbling and frittering away your Sunday afternoon watching football, I'm going to be in Michelle Land with my feet propped up and sipping a cup of hot cocoa, ha ha.

MM :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Party poopers. While you-all are grousing and grumbling and frittering away your Sunday afternoon watching football, I'm going to be in Michelle Land with my feet propped up and sipping a cup of hot cocoa, ha ha.

Didn't say I wouldn't watch - just that I won't make a financial contribution! :laugh: But don't tell anybody OK? I'd hate to ruin my reputation for thinking this is Hijinx.

DG

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Mathman said:

Enjoy. I'll be at the art museum, the opera or the ballet. It seems that the USFSA is trying to drive away the population that has supported skating for decades by chasing after the shallow end of the gene pool. We get touring professional shows where they skate to childrens music like The Who! (I know the USFSA has nothing to do with this) And now, they are making a joke out of competitions by staging this AI ripoff:no:

nicole_l

Final Flight
mmscfdcsu said:
We get touring professional shows where they skate to childrens music like The Who! (I know the USFSA has nothing to do with this)
Since when is The Who children's music? :laugh:

orchid

On the Ice
I do believe, that in the US, if a 900 number is used, a public disclaimer must be clearly displayed in al advertising IF a toll charge is applied. Nothing in the link below.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=31808

About Alissa's travel experience, she rocked at Skate Canada following ridiculous travel accomodations. She said she is used to skating with little rest.

Am sure this joy will erode, but this girl has the fire and less than 2 months before Nationals.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
nicole_l said:
Since when is The Who children's music? :laugh:

Pop is the music of latency, rock is the music of adolescence. It looks pathetic when some of the skaters are in their late 20's and 30's still skating to that stuff:rofl: They might as well just skate to the theme song from Barney:laugh:

I think Alissa can handle herself. She's young and thinking only of skating.

I'm not at all sure MK will show up.

This competition(?) just may let viewers watch Pro Football and in the last 3 minutes let the public phone in whom they think should win.;)

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
orchid said:
I do believe, that in the US, if a 900 number is used, a public disclaimer must be clearly displayed in al advertising IF a toll charge is applied. Nothing in the link below.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=31808

Since I've never personally known of a 900 number that was toll-free (not to say they don't exist) I e-mailed the USFSA using the "contact us" feature on their web site. Here is the response:

"It is not a toll-free call. However, I do not know how much it will cost. My best guess would be 50 or 75 cents. I can find out exactly how much it is if you would like."

I did reply to see if she can find out the exact cost as I'm just curious. Just an FYI...

DG

CDMM1991

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
"It is not a toll-free call. However, I do not know how much it will cost. My best guess would be 50 or 75 cents. I can find out exactly how much it is if you would like."

Wow. The USFSA is desperate. Anybody going to vote?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
Wow. The USFSA is desperate. Anybody going to vote?

Well, let's see. If the cost per call is 50 cents, and one can vote more than once, and speed dial works...... Then would one get the "Full Experience (FE)" if you voted for your favorite skater 300 times? (same price over the phone as an actual event ticket, but without the associated travel costs). Well, that would only work in one dicipline. :laugh:

But if you ordered Domino's with Tripple Cheese, could you then vote less times but offset the other expenses? Or would I order cheap pizza with Tripple Cheese anyway? Is Dominos a sponsor in such a way that the USFSA will get a small cut on any pizzas related to the Super Cheesey Cheese Fest? Oh!!!! - way to much to think about. ;)

DG

Doggygirl said:
Well, let's see. If the cost per call is 50 cents, and one can vote more than once, and speed dial works...... Then would one get the "Full Experience (FE)" if you voted for your favorite skater 300 times? (same price over the phone as an actual event ticket, but without the associated travel costs). Well, that would only work in one dicipline. :laugh:

But if you ordered Domino's with Tripple Cheese, could you then vote less times but offset the other expenses? Or would I order cheap pizza with Tripple Cheese anyway? Is Dominos a sponsor in such a way that the USFSA will get a small cut on any pizzas related to the Super Cheesey Cheese Fest? Oh!!!! - way to much to think about. ;)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

CDMM1991

Medalist
Doggygirl said:

DG

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You brighten my day everyday DG :)

P.S. MM, I posted some pictures of me skating in the Lutz Corner. Thought you might be interested :)

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I thought this was going to be a popularity contest where the skater with the most fans wins. But now that you have to pay to vote, perhaps the winner is the skater with the most "rich" fans! ;)

orchid

On the Ice
purplecat said:
I thought this was going to be a popularity contest where the skater with the most fans wins. But now that you have to pay to vote, perhaps the winner is the skater with the most "rich" fans! ;)

Exactly! The skate with the most fans willing to dial and pay.

If, one skater's fans are frugal BUT the skater is the best, How might the outcome influence the next? Think of Terry G's coments, et.al

Judges are impartial afterall, that's why they sit throught a week of practice
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I just thought of a way to make this more interesting. The USFSA could make up a score sheet and post it on line. Then the viewers could score along with the NJS. The announcer (Paul Wylie :love: ) would be the caller, identifying the elements, and the TV viewer would just have to check the box.

Like for instance, there would be a line that went

Triple Flip___Doube Flip___Single Flip
___5.5________1.7_________0.5___

You would just put a check in the box, then add up the points at the end. Conceivably you could also give a GOE, but that gets tricky because of factoring for the lower-valued elements.

For spins and spirals, it might be too much of a burden on Paul to call the levels, so instead of PCS you would have subjective scores (separately) for spins, spirals, and footwork on a scale from 0 to 10.

Would that be fun?

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Nice try. Nothing could help this pathetic concept of a show. May it just die a quick death. If we are lucky, there will be something compelling to watch on other channels and nobody will see this idiotic undertaking.

Well, anyone besides Michelle who thinks they are going to win this popularity contest should check out the results of the latest reader's poll in International Figure Skating.

All-time favorite Olympic female medalist: Michelle Kwan.

Best ladies performance in competition for the 2004-2005 season: Michelle Kwan

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Well, anyone besides Michelle who thinks they are going to win this popularity contest should check out the results of the latest reader's poll in International Figure Skating.

All-time favorite Olympic female medalist: Michelle Kwan.

Best ladies performance in competition for the 2004-2005 season: Michelle Kwan

I bet she won in the men's division too. And pairs and dance. ;) :laugh: ;) :laugh: And well deserved given her remarkable career. It takes a LOT to capture the mind and imagination and admiration like she has.

(but I'm still not voting for MK or anyone at the Marshall's Cheesiest Super Cheesefest - I'm on protest no matter who skates.)

:) DG