Free Dance from TV | Golden Skate

Free Dance from TV

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Very disappointed with N&K's dance. They are obviously aiming for the top spot at the Olympics, and I wish they at least tried to be original with their program. I think almost all of the Olympic ice dance favorites in the past attempted to come up with a statement type program for the Olympics (Gritchuk & Platov didn't in '94, but they weren't the favorites either). Whatever one throught of Anissina & Peizerat's SLC program, they tried to be innovative there.

Very conflicted about C&S skating to Bolero. I think this is their best program so far, but I still think the music demands a smoother dance. I am not sure if it is a question of choreography, their skill, or both.

M&Z rock!

EricAba

Rinkside
I really liked C&S Bolero, and I am :clap: by their transformation this season, at least in the FD. They always seemed a bit frantic to me in the past, but I think the music helps them sustain their movements more, and to have a smoother, more 'edgy' quality. Also like the new hair colors- on Sergei especially- and Galit's 'Madonna on Kabbalah' look...

As for N&K, more of the same- great lines and more great lines, but does one ever get tired of that? I don't...

Ptichka said:
Very conflicted about C&S skating to Bolero. I think this is their best program so far, but I still think the music demands a smoother dance. I am not sure if it is a question of choreography, their skill, or both.

M&Z rock!

There tends to be in movies and ballet a stretche with the original ballroom dances whether they are solo pieces or coupled up pieces. The Bolero, as you say, should be a smooth dance. When it got to Cuba, it became the rhumba.
However when you put this dance on skates and realized you have to oversell it to show passion and then add on strange lifts, and add on flailing arms you have the perfect competitive routine. I think C&S did just that. They were fine. Let's not compare them to T&D cause it will just cause a lot of unnecessary posts. Save that for the Summer months. But, by all means, compare them to N&K.

M&Z were shown because they are American. they were good though.

Joe

Kasey said:
I like C&S's Bolero better than T&D's.....by a LOT.
I really did want to avoid this comparison at this point in time. Well, can you also say you like C&S's dance better than N&K?

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I really did want to avoid this comparison at this point in time. Well, can you also say you like C&S's dance better than N&K?

Joe

Yes, I did like Chait and Sakhnovsky better than Navka and Kostamarov. And Wing and Lowe as well. And did you think that no one was going to come up with a comment of comparison between the two "Bolero" teams? It's figure skating, people can like what they want....and if there is something they don't like, they'll find someone else or something else they do. That's part of the greatness of the sport, that it's open to different styles, likes and interpretations. Sorry you didn't like my opinion, but that is all it is.

Miezekatze

Rinkside
I love C&S' Bolero :clap: I haven't seen N&K yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I never was a fan of T&D (my big favorites from the 80's are Klimova & Ponomarenko and Bestemianova & Bukin), so their Bolero does not really mean anything in particular to me.

No problem liking others than T&D. It really is a matter of taste. If one must have Russian passion in skating and can't find that in Western Europe, parfticularly England then one should just enjoy that sort of style. Others, of course, will not agree.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
To me, nothing will ever beat T&D's Bolero. It's like "King Lear", "Faust", or "Eugene Onegin". Others may write books that are more interesting or more insightful, but you can't beat those classics. To me, Bolero is the same.

rain

Record Breaker
C/S - count me in the category who just can't forget that they're skating to Bolero. Just can't quite get over it to be able to fully enjoy the program. I do like the new looks both partners are now sporting, however.

Another disappointment was N/K and Carmen. I groaned when I heard they'd chosen Carmen - that old saw that's been done more times than the phrase "I gave it 110 per cent." Then I watched the program and was really uninspired by the choreography. Way too many stop and pose moments, ugly lifts for the most part. And likely we're looking at the Olympic gold medal winning program here. Sigh.

W/L - happy for them that they won a GP medal. This was one of their better programs from the past, and I think it's probably a good vehicle for them to go back to. It really captures their personalities.