Dear Coke-a-Cola | Golden Skate

Dear Coke-a-Cola

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Penguins are not in Alaska. Polar Bears are not in Antarctica....

quit doing the ignorant stereotype. it's no wonder America is raising a bunch of ignoramouses (is that a word, or did I pull a George W. Bush just now? LOL)

You tell 'em, Toni! Not to mention that it annoys me a lot that Coke uses those animals or their animated likenesses to sell their sugar-packed gunk--did anybody ask the penguins or the polar bears? No!--that does nothing but help contribute to the obesity problem in the US.

Even "Diet" Coke and its sugar-free counterparts have been shown in clinical studies to increase the appetite. The basic hypothesis is that the brain and certain other organs respond to the sweet taste as if it's sugar, which gives a short boost to blood glucose levels but then causes a precipitous drop in those levels, resulting in an increase in appetite.

But I shouldn't get started...grrrr. BTW, you can feel free to write Coca-Cola's executives and call them "ignoramuses" and be absolutely correct; it is the correct spelling for the plural of ignoramus and that they are. :agree:

Rgirl

diver chick

On the Ice
Sorry but I just love the coca cola christmas ads - always makes me feel like Christmas is really coming when I start seeing them on tv, but they don't come on tv in Britain for another couple of weeks yet.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
diver chick said:
Sorry but I just love the coca cola christmas ads - always makes me feel like Christmas is really coming when I start seeing them on tv, but they don't come on tv in Britain for another couple of weeks yet.

they are cute, I'll give them that, but this is the first time they've shown the penguins :laugh:

considering I was born and raised in the Frozen North (commonly known as Alaska) I get tired of the 3 main questions:
1. Do you live in igloos?
2. Do you dog sled?
3. Do you have a pet penguin?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
considering I was born and raised in the Frozen North (commonly known as Alaska) I get tired of the 3 main questions:
1. Do you live in igloos?
2. Do you dog sled?
3. Do you have a pet penguin?

Better than.......
1. Why do you marry your cousins?
2. Why do you get married at 12 and have kids at 13?
3. Why don't you wear shoes?

:biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
Better than.......
1. Why do you marry your cousins?
2. Why do you get married at 12 and have kids at 13?
3. Why don't you wear shoes?

:biggrin:

I have never asked those dumb questions (we have the same stereotypical families up here so ya know lol)

my little brother's biological father's family is something right out of the "Hickville" Jokes ;) So glad we got him out of that situation. (for those who that just confused my little brother was adopted out of the foster care system... he's been in our home longer than he's been anywhere else)

Johar

Medalist
I am from Indiana and I've had people ask me if I live on a farm or play basketball.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This reminds me of a woman I used to work with who had lived in Alaska for a few years and she too was irritated at the Coca-Cola ads featuring the polar bears; her take on it was, they were trying to portray them as being cute and cuddly creatures (tho I personally find the computer-generated ones in the commercials as a bit creepy), when in reality, according to her, those things in real life would take your head off in a second if you got too close....

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
What happened to Santa? He was always on the Coke cans during Christmas time. Polar bears are fine for the commercials, but not the cans. I miss my classic Santa!

Aloft04

On the Ice
Hey - it's neither the north nor south pole....it's whimsy and I like whimsy and hence I like the ads.

In fantasy you can have penguins and polar bears toasting each other with fizzy beverages wherever the heck they want.

Newsflash: In those other TV ads, bears don't really use toilet paper in the woods or drive Hummers (thank gawd) either.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Count me in as one who loves the fantasy Coke commercials. Far better than Pepsi (which I don't drink). I love my Coke Zero. I just don't take these commercials to heart especially since I'm an American who isn't an ignoramus and just likes the fantasy. :biggrin:

But fantasy is fantasy! And the commercials are cool. It isn't time for the Santa on the Coke can yet.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
JonnyCoop said:
This reminds me of a woman I used to work with who had lived in Alaska for a few years and she too was irritated at the Coca-Cola ads featuring the polar bears; her take on it was, they were trying to portray them as being cute and cuddly creatures (tho I personally find the computer-generated ones in the commercials as a bit creepy), when in reality, according to her, those things in real life would take your head off in a second if you got too close....

Anybody with common sense would know a polar bear is aggressive and dangerous:laugh:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Anybody with common sense would know a polar bear is aggressive and dangerous

:rofl: ......most would, but there will always be some fools with too many guns, too little sense, and an overabundance of testosterone..........

I also don't mind fantasy that much, but I can see why Toni might be a bit annoyed with media that only fuels existing stereotypes. I am from a very small mountain community in Southeastern Tennessee, and I sometimes get very sick of the existing stereotypes that some people have about this state and particularly this region. We don't all bake vats of meth in our mobiles homes, drive ridiculously over-sized 4-wheel drives with loaded gun racks and Bush stickers, or spend hours spackling/cementing our bangs into a "Say Hi to Jesus" style. :biggrin: , but, I do have to say that sometimes these existing stereotypes can be a useful tool. If people assume that you aren't intelligent based upon stereotypes and the like...that gives you ample room to maneuver and to surprise them. LOL...that sounds very manipulative and shady.....but it is something I have dealt with on many occassions.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I never said I didn't like the Polar bears. I think the commercials are cute. I never want those commercials to go away.

soogar

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Even "Diet" Coke and its sugar-free counterparts have been shown in clinical studies to increase the appetite. The basic hypothesis is that the brain and certain other organs respond to the sweet taste as if it's sugar, which gives a short boost to blood glucose levels but then causes a precipitous drop in those levels, resulting in an increase in appetite.

Rgirl

Off topic, but researchers need to retool their research. Diet Coke does not make people fat. Rather it's the person's mentality that since the drink is calorie free, it gives them permission to eat more food. So maybe normally they wouldn't have a dessert after downing a Big Mac and fries with a regular coke, but will treat themselves to an ice cream if they have a diet coke.

I don't like research like this because it misleads people into thinking that Diet Coke doesn't make a difference in the weight loss game and it does. Those obese people do not need the extra sugar that regular coke supplies. While not drinking coke at all might be the "ideal" solution, I think it's unrealistic to plan a diet around idealism. It needs to be based on reality and the reality is that the person is going to drink coke, so it might as well be diet coke.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
:)
BronzeisGolden said:
:rofl: ..... or spend hours spackling/cementing our bangs into a "Say Hi to Jesus" style. :biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Are we talking mousse horn or women with a PHD....Pentecostal Hair Do?:biggrin:

Sign me,
Ignorant in Appalachia:p

sk8m8

Final Flight
You may have heard that old saying in the South..."The higher the hair, the closer to God"

soogar said:
Off topic, but researchers need to retool their research. Diet Coke does not make people fat. Rather it's the person's mentality that since the drink is calorie free, it gives them permission to eat more food. So maybe normally they wouldn't have a dessert after downing a Big Mac and fries with a regular coke, but will treat themselves to an ice cream if they have a diet coke.

I don't like research like this because it misleads people into thinking that Diet Coke doesn't make a difference in the weight loss game and it does. Those obese people do not need the extra sugar that regular coke supplies. While not drinking coke at all might be the "ideal" solution, I think it's unrealistic to plan a diet around idealism. It needs to be based on reality and the reality is that the person is going to drink coke, so it might as well be diet coke.
It's an enormously complex issue and the research on diet, weight, exercise, and obesity covers more aspects of the obesity issue than at least I can count. By using the example I did, I was just trying to point out one thing from the obesity literature that I've found few people know about. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

OTOH, ITA with you, Soogar, about the mentality of "Since I had a Diet Coke (or diet whatever) I can have ice cream" kind of thing. Back in college (mid '70s), I worked as a waitress at several places, including a pizza place. Man, I wish I had a dollar for every time a couple of girls--not being sexist, that's just the way it was--would order a large pizza with at least two fatty toppings, extra garlic bread, and a Diet Coke (or Pepsi). Sure they would get about 120 calories more if they ordered regular soda, but in light of the fact that researchers have shown that diet drinks actually increase appetite, perhaps they ate more pizze and bread than if they had drunk plain water instead of diet soda.

But not to worry, Soogar; researchers in weight problems are coming at it from all angles: psychology, neurology, endocrinology, genetics, cultural influences--basically a list as long as your leg--Michael Jordan's leg. If you want to get an idea go to PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi and enter "diet weight control obesity" as your key words. You should get 4,992 studies--and that's just since late 2004.

At a rate of about 5,000 studies a year on weight issues, since 1985 that makes about 100,000 studies. And since research in this area is increasing--and the US sure needs it--that's a lot of research.

Now I think I'll have a pint of Godiva Dark Chocolate ice cream and a Diet Coke with my pet penguin.:rock:

Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
when in reality, according to her, those things in real life would take your head off in a second if you got too close....

I don't live "up north" where they are (another common misconception... just because you're in AK doesn't mean you'll live with the POLAR bear... brown and black yes... but they stay in the southern part and interior... and the polar bears like the colder areas of the state... no clue why lol

They are very playful until you get into their personal space, just like all animals...

Binky the Polar Bear that lived here at the zoo was a very lovable furry bear... until that stupid person decided they wanted to get into the cage (the excuse she gave was she was from Europe and didn't know the cages were meant to keep people out of the area... um DUH! I think it applies all over the world... but I could just be a stupid American lol) and Binky bit her shoe off (she kept her foot so why she complained when SHE invaded BINKY'S territory is beyond me)

there's just my rant. Polar Bears are no more aggresive than any other bear.

Rgirl said:
But not to worry, Soogar; researchers in weight problems are coming at it from all angles: psychology, neurology, endocrinology, genetics, cultural influences--basically a list as long as your leg--Michael Jordan's leg. If you want to get an idea go to PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi and enter "diet weight control obesity" as your key words. You should get 4,992 studies--and that's just since late 2004.
To me, what is most striking about the science of nutrition is that despite all this research -- and despite its paramount importance to us -- we do not know the answers to any of these questions. We can put a man on the moon, we know all about the mating cycle of the 17-year cicada, we know that a neutron is composed of an up-quark and two down-quarks, but we do not know what food we should eat. This is very surprising to me.

MM