Dear Coke-a-Cola | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dear Coke-a-Cola

Jhar55

Medalist
I love coke, but don't get where coke thinks polar bears drink coke.
As for Santa on the cans probaly has something to do with not everyone belives in Santa anymore, or we can't do this or that might offend someone.
I am from Indiana and my father was a farmer and also worked in a factory,didn't play basketball but sure did go to plenty of games on Friday and Saturday nights.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I saw a news report last week about Coke's decision to do away with Santa on their cans. They said they believe the polar bears will get a better response and that this year is a test for it. They expect Santa to be back next year.

I love the commercials.

Jhar55

Medalist
I've never seen a polar bear execpt at the zoo, but my guess is that if I did that grin on his face would mean LUNCH not yum a bottle of coke :rofl:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jhar55 said:
I've never seen a polar bear execpt at the zoo, but my guess is that if I did that grin on his face would mean LUNCH not yum a bottle of coke :rofl:

actually bears are known for their sweet tooth... chances are a bear, if given the choice of a barrel of chocolate or a human would most likely go for the sweets...

and not just the female bears, either :laugh:

seriously though... if you were holding a coke in your hand... the bear might be thinking "dinner comes with a fountain drink? sweet!" :laugh:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Honestly, I try not to drink any Coca-Cola products.....especially Coke. My brother always used it to clean/burn all the corrosion off of my car battery terminal.........after I saw that, I decided it probably wasn't the smartest move to willingly put that in my body!

Are we talking mousse horn or women with a PHD....Pentecostal Hair Do?

LOL.........I have never heard the PHD thing before! That is too good.....I must borrow it and add it to my arsenal!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
did you know that diet soda floats when you put it in a tub of water, but if it's regular it sinks to the bottom? we learned that at a youth group event when I was 12 or 13 and we used the outdoor pool (yes we have them up here) to keep them cool :laugh:

Mathman said:
To me, what is most striking about the science of nutrition is that despite all this research -- and despite its paramount importance to us -- we do not know the answers to any of these questions. We can put a man on the moon, we know all about the mating cycle of the 17-year cicada, we know that a neutron is composed of an up-quark and two down-quarks, but we do not know what food we should eat. This is very surprising to me.

MM
Oh, you poor, deluded hard scientist, where right can be proven. The problem with nutrition and weight control is that our brains have advanced infinitely faster than our physiology, especially in the last 100 years. (I knew I shouldn't have checked this thread, LOL.) For the vast majority of us, our bodies still function as if it were 50,000 years ago and man had to survive long periods of famine between brief periods of feast. Primal man would make a great big kill, eat a lot, but dry and salt most of it to last through the famine periods.

The people with the genes most adapted to storing fat well were the ones who survived. Thus, from the get-go, evolution favored people with slow metabolisms, who could last longer than anybody else without eating.

Of course civilizations come and go, yadda yadda, but up until about 100 or so years ago the world was based on agrarian living. That is, farming. You had to grow or breed and slaughter your own food, or do that and sell the extra at market. For every calorie you consumed, you expended at least an equal number of calories to grow, breed, slaughter, and prepare the food. Hence a 1 to 1 ratio. Calories in equaled calories out, if you were lucky. Most of the world went hungry and still does today, except in the US, but other modern societies will be as fat as we are very soon.

Now this big boom in obesity did not hit the US in such overwhelming numbers until about 20 years ago. Let's see, what major change in our work habits does that coincide with? Of course, the computer. Children born in 1980 were showing their parents how to use the IBMs and Macs in 1984. Also, "Pong" and "Pac Man" quickly became entire interactive character driven games, so instead of kids running around, climbing trees and jungle gyms, riding bikes, playing any number of running, jumping, do all kinds of things games, they sat for hours, even days, with their Playstations and X-Boxes.

Also, it became a given for most families that both parents worked. That meant far more reliance on fatty take-out foods or quick, high-calorie "Kraft Macaroni and Cheese" type dinners. A parent wasn't at home to encourage (or demand) that kids "go play and I don't mean sit on your butt, mister!" or prepare meals in keeping with the family's decreased energy expenditure. Even if a parent did prepare low-calorie foods in a well-balanced way, our reptilian brains, endocrine systems, and every other physiologic system is still convinced the next famine is just around the corner so it drives the body to eat now while the food is here.

Our bodies are battling 50,000 years of brain and body forces that drive us to eat, especially those with a high genetic predilection toward surviving famine; our lifestyles have shifted to wear we can sit all day and get massive amounts of work done; if we're not sitting in front of our computers we're sitting in our cars; and we wonder why there's not the right formula for what we should eat. I'm tellin' ya, it ain't out there and never will be.

Sure, you can put people on The Zone, Atkins (which tanked in the '70s only to be "successful" 25 years later, NOT--at least not in terms of losing weight and keeping it off; South Beach; Diet.com--just Google diet books and you'll get the idea.

It does not surprise me one bit that we can put a space station up there but that a sedentary 35-year-old woman can't have the a$$ of a 12-year-old boy or that a 35-year-old sedentary man can't have a sixpack abdomen. We LIKE food. We LOVE food! And why not! The drive is to eat is stronger than the one to procreate without necessarily procreating, if you get my drift.

Rgirl's hypothesis: The only way the obesity problem in countries such as the US is going to be solved is probably through genetic engineering. Restructure our genes so that our bodies are not driven to eat. Ask anybody with hypoglycemia if they have any control over what happens to their bodies and what they will do to get food in it if their blood sugar drops too low and they will tell you, "If I were in the midst of a hypoglycemic attack, I would kill my mother to get food."

Anyway, for those of you who are new, I apologize for being strident, but this is an area of expertise for me with one published book on the subject and a second one on the way. Also, forgive me if I don't respond to these posts in the future. (Everybody jumps up and down, going :party: woo-woo! Rgirl's gonna shut-up! Arrrrright!) But seriously, I've learned from many years of experience that a lot of people have entrenched ideas about food, diet, and weight control and that threads that focus on this subject get meaner than those between Kwan fans and non-Kwan fans.

I don't really mean that. Of course people should discuss whatever they want within GS rules and regs. But right before Thanksgiving? Go ahead, have that second piece of pumpkin pie. Enjoy! Unless you have a medical condition that precludes that, of course.

So my short answer, Mathman, is: Look to the geneticists, but don't expect anything in time to look hot for the summer.:)

Rgirl

Johar

Medalist
My mom is addicted to drinking Coke and smoking, and at age 74 she is in a nursing home while her friends are taking retirement trips and playing with their grand children.

She has often stated she doesn't like water and wants to drink Coke only. Yesterday she called me from the nursing home wanting me to bring her Coke and cigarettes.

It's truly frustrating. I am trying so hard to get rid of the cigarette smell in the house and it's hard. She wants to come home so she can continue to smoke! And I am supposed to live here 24-7 and take care of her.