Will you be happy if the Gold Medalists in Turin are all Russian? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will you be happy if the Gold Medalists in Turin are all Russian?

If the winners in Turin were Russian, would you be happy?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • No way!

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • I'd respect it but wouldn't like it.

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • I'd be a little happy for the skaters but would be happier if the winners were my favorites.

Votes: 26 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anya_angie

Final Flight
I just made an assumption that "if given the skates are perfect" was a given and didn't have to be stated in the poll. Sorry for not being too careful with my word choice.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Piel said:
Yes
Guess who's going to be very disappointed with the Olympics? With Kwan injured the only other ladies I can bear to see at the top of the podium are Csizney, Liang, or Fumie. If ladies skating is not pretty to watch I would just as soon watch curling.

Fair enough but I dont find Liang being that much of a "pretty skater" to be honest, some of her positions arent all that nice, just my opinion. Csizney and Kwan I can see, and to a lesser extent Fumie although she does have a crooked back while stroking herself I find.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I want the best skaters in their respective disciplines to win the Gold. I desperately want Kwan to be the best in ladies, but if Irina (and the other Russians) are in fact the best, I will be happy for them.

Eldredgefan2001

Rinkside
The only way that I would be happy is if they all DESERVED them. As we know from the past, that isn't always the case. JMHO.

Germanice

On the Ice
Piel said:
My dream podiums would be:
Goebel, Wiess, and Wier
Kwan, Czizny, Liang
I/B, S/Z, the Polish pair
B/A, C/S, W/L
:scratch:

Well, at least you're honest! :biggrin:

Anke

treeskater

Rinkside
I, like most here, just want the winners to be decidedly the best - no foul judging, holding up, no undercurrents of politiking. I also would like it to be a really close race, unlikely as it is......close SP scores, so LP is a real fight for the Gold.

As far as a Russian sweep, if it is deserved I have no problem with it. But if it is, I think it will have a negative impact on FS around the globe, especially if others give especially great LP's but can't overcome the SP lead space.

If you think back over the last 3-4 O's, perhaps with the exception of Paul Wylie, most people don't remember the other performances that generated the silver & bronze medals. The media will have a field day with an all Russian sweep.....

And I don't want a repeat of a one time flash-in-the-pan, a la Lipinski, Hughes.

sk8addict

On the Ice
how they skate

I'd be happy if they are the best skaters in that week. COP is an improvement but there are some kinks to work out. Irina seems to be getting some elevated scores. Tech seems ok but just because you are born with a body that can do a Bielman is no reason to win a gold medal in skating. I'm not so sure she actually does a true Bielman anyway. Any old tapes of Denise laying around? Doesn't the foot have to be above your head & you hold the skate with both hands? I thinks she's cheating & getting away with it.
The general public in the US is turned off on skating after SLC. If they see another unfair skating medal, we'll be watching all our skating on mediazone.com

plhskate

Spectator
Not to change the subject.....

I hope I'm not overstepping and also sounding too naive, but from the sounds of the different posts to this topic on the new judging system, it sounds as if the judging is no longer fair and square and done on the performance of the skaters. That saddens me, because my children are just now starting into the LTS program and will probably eventually compete. I very much dislike the new judging system, and I have only had a few conversations with people about it. I think it's boring to watch the competitions on TV, because everyone's program looks the same.

As for the topic at hand, it's always been my belief that the best skaters should win based on their performance not on their home country or on the "favorites". Whoever wins, I just hope it's based on this. LOL

Hi Plhskate. Welcome to Golden Skate and thanks for posting.

About the New Judging System, frankly I do not see any reason to think that it will be either more or less fair than the old. The judges are the same people that they always have been. Most of them, I believe, do a creditable job, with a few bad apples here and there.

About the effect of the NJS on the creativity of programs, I think we will have to wait and see how it plays out in the long run. So far, I agree that ladies skating has become less interesting. But on the men's side there are people like Sandhu and Buttle who seem to be able to come up with creative choreography and still rack up the points.

IMO pairs is affected the most. We seem to be seeing more and more difficult (and dangerous!) moves just for the sake of difficulty, whether they add anything of substance to the program or not.

JMO.

Mathman :)

I wouldn't care if they were all Argentinians if they deserved it. I'm one of those fans who appreciate perfect judging on THAT NIGHT.

Joe

new_europe2006

Rinkside
If they deserve it, I won't cry foul. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be happy about it.

I'd be ok with Plushenko and N/K winning but I wouldn't be happy with Slutskaya or T/M winning since I don't enjoy their skating.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
I would respect it if everybody deserved it (but I still wouldn't like it). If they didn't deserve it, then I would be a doubly unhappy camper.