Irina Slutskaya will win in Torino | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya will win in Torino

And then there's Alissa. Let's see how she holds up against Mao in GPF. There will be scores to compare with Sasha and Shizuka.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Mao has an easy one over Alissa. JMO.

Alissa at her best will very likely get her bronze here. Mao has the jumps and Irina is Irina.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
She is (supposedly) changing things up so it sounds like she will also be testing things out at Nats. I don't know about MK. It's boom or bust for her. But I think she has a history of building up, so MK will probably have a lackluster/average skate at Nats. But I don't know if Cohen will be psyched out by the fact that this could be her biggest chance at that US title she's always wanted, and therefore bomb the competition (or make enough mistakes to take herself out of the running).

JMO.
You're right, it sounds like she is changing things up, which IMHO does not bode well for her. She has shown many times NOT to be comfortable with new things, I mean, she really only skated Maleguena to its potential in its second season, she needs time to really feel safe with new things. I don't see how changing anything is going to be good for her this close to Nationals.

My question was:

How many points behind Mao will Alissa be?

We know how many points behind Mao Sasha is?

We know how many points behind Mao Shizuka is?

There is no prediction here. :indiff: It's a question of comparison scores. :scratch:

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
dancindiva03 said:
You're right, it sounds like she is changing things up, which IMHO does not bode well for her. She has shown many times NOT to be comfortable with new things, I mean, she really only skated Maleguena to its potential in its second season, she needs time to really feel safe with new things. I don't see how changing anything is going to be good for her this close to Nationals.

I think you're right, but I really don't feel she has any other choice at this point. Clearly at TEB she realized that the status quo was not going to get her Gold. Even if she skated cleanly she wouldn't be near Irina. So this is a last ditch attempt to catch up. But at least she was able to compete there to get the wake up call. Otherwise it might have happened at the Olys.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
I think you're right, but I really don't feel she has any other choice at this point. Clearly at TEB she realized that the status quo was not going to get her Gold. Even if she skated cleanly she wouldn't be near Irina. So this is a last ditch attempt to catch up. But at least she was able to compete there to get the wake up call. Otherwise it might have happened at the Olys.

That is very true, she needs to try something to increase her scores, the big question is can she do it, and have it consistant, by February?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
My question was:

How many points behind Mao will Alissa be?

We know how many points behind Mao Sasha is?

We know how many points behind Mao Shizuka is?

There is no prediction here. :indiff: It's a question of comparison scores. :scratch:

Joe

The only skaters you mention that will be compared any time soon are Alissa and Mao at the GPF. IMO, for Alissa to have a chance against Mao, she needs to land her jumps securely. IMO Alissa has some advantages in the non-jump department. But if Mao brings 3/3's and 3A to GPF, Mao has her usual advantages, which I have no problem with as a FS fan.

DG

Doggygirl said:
The only skaters you mention that will be compared any time soon are Alissa and Mao at the GPF. IMO, for Alissa to have a chance against Mao, she needs to land her jumps securely. IMO Alissa has some advantages in the non-jump department. But if Mao brings 3/3's and 3A to GPF, Mao has her usual advantages, which I have no problem with as a FS fan.

DG
Why do I get the feeling that posters think I am predicting the GPF ?:banging:

I am ONLY interested in comparing the scores of Mao and Alissa. :boohoo:

If you force me to predict the GPF, I will predict Irina. Over and out on this.

Now DG, you put me to work:eek:hwell:

TEB Scores: Asada 182.42
Cohen 175.12 difference 7.30
Arakawa 173.30 difference 9.12

GPF scores Czisny ??? difference ???

Is the above clear? I know there will be different judges but this comparison is not meant to be definnitive. It's just to get an idea on how well Alissa at this point in time stands up to the top skaters. (forget Irina, that's a shoo in.)

Come to think of it. Let's compare the difference between Asada and Irina at GPF.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'll put it this way: It will be the SHOCKER of the year if Irina doesn't win this GPF.

Well, we can sort of get a feel for how the skaters stack up against each other by looking at the total points in their two GP events so far.

Irina: 394.18
Mao: 359.02
Alissa 327.62

Head to head at Cup of China,

Irina: 196.12
Mao: 176.60

So we'll see how these trends hold up at the GP final. Will Irina out score Mao by 15 points, with Alissa 15 points farther back.

My guess is that it it will work out about the same way at the GP final. Alissa gave 4 "skates of a lifetime" at Skate America and Skate Canada. I do not see what she can do to score any higher than she did in these events.

Likewise, Mao has skated great, she has not made any blunders that have detracted significantly from her scores. So barring errors I expect Irina to get 190, Mao 175, and Alissa (if she nailes her jumps) 160.

MM :)

nymkfan51

Medalist
My only question about the GPF is how many points Irina will beat the competition by. Nothing would surprise me.
I think by the time the Olympics roll around, the scores will be at epic proportion.

kyla2

Final Flight
nymkf51

I loved the "epic proportions" comment. Probably true. If the judges want to have any credibly left, they need to score Irina accurately, meaning dinging her when she lands forward or comes to a complete stop during a jump. Her presentation PCS are a way too high.

nymkfan51 said:
My only question about the GPF is how many points Irina will beat the competition by. Nothing would surprise me.
I think by the time the Olympics roll around, the scores will be at epic proportion.
ITA - That's what I want to know. It's a point of interest. Alissa just may be the top skater after this Olys. and if there is no teenybopper on the horizon she may do very well in 2010.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
ITA - That's what I want to know. It's a point of interest. Alissa just may be the top skater after this Olys. and if there is no teenybopper on the horizon she may do very well in 2010.

Joe

I thought that Mao Asada and Kim were being hailed as the top of the next crop?

I have yet to see any of these skaters compete since there is no GP coverage over here.

Will Asada be age eiligible for Worlds next year?

Ant

antmanb said:
I thought that Mao Asada and Kim were being hailed as the top of the next crop?

I have yet to see any of these skaters compete since there is no GP coverage over here.

Will Asada be age eiligible for Worlds next year?

Ant
I'd love to see Mao at the Olys as well as the Worlds but I guess that won't happen. Alyssa at Olys is iffy and if the divas retire, maybe at Worlds.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I'd love to see Mao at the Olys as well as the Worlds but I guess that won't happen. Alyssa at Olys is iffy and if the divas retire, maybe at Worlds.

Joe

By next year's worlds i actually meant next season's worlds...how old is Mao? And isn't the Korean skater Kim already age eligible?

Ant

Mao Asada was 15 on September 25. She will be eligible for 2007 Worlds.

Yu-Na Kim is the same age (she was 15 on September 5). She competed in juniors this year, winning the junior Grand Prix Final.

Kimmie Meissner is a year older. She was 16 on October 4th. She is eligible for the Olympics and 2006 Worlds, if she makes the U.S. team.

Alissa Czisny is 18 (birthday June 25th, 1987).

So far, Mao is ahead of the pack. She competed with HUGE success on the senior GP, scoring 182.42 points against the "big girls" in Eric Bompard.

Yu-Na scored 174.12 in the junior GP final. It's hard to tell how these scores compare with the seniors, but this seems about right to gauge her current level.

Kimmie scored 155.72 to take fifth at Eric Bompard. Observers praise her basics and say that her presentation skills are coming along nicely. I think she will be the number one U.S. lady before too long.

Alissa's best score was 168.32 in her surprising victory at Skate Canada. Since she is already 18, I don't really group her with the 15-year-olds. Allissa's strength has always been her spins and moves in the field. She is a joy to behold. But a lack of consistency on jumps has held her back.

This year, in two long and two short programs on the Grand Prix circuit, she has only one fall. If she can keep this up, she can be stunning.

IMHO, and judging by their accomplishments so far, Mao appears poised to become the megastar of the future.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Mao Asada was 15 on September 25. She will be eligible for 2007 Worlds.

Yu-Na Kim is the same age (she was 15 on September 5). She competed in juniors this year, winning the junior Grand Prix Final.

Kimmie Meissner is a year older. She was 16 on October 4th. She is eligible for the Olympics and 2006 Worlds, if she makes the U.S. team.

Alissa Czisny is 18 (birthday June 25th, 1987).

So far, Mao is ahead of the pack. She competed with HUGE success on the senior GP, scoring 182.42 points against the "big girls" in Eric Bompard.

Yu-Na scored 174.12 in the junior GP final. It's hard to tell how these scores compare with the seniors, but this seems about right to gauge her current level.

Kimmie scored 155.72 to take fifth at Eric Bompard. Observers praise her basics and say that her presentation skills are coming along nicely. I think she will be the number one U.S. lady before too long.

Alissa's best score was 168.32 in her surprising victory at Skate Canada. Since she is already 18, I don't really group her with the 15-year-olds. Allissa's strength has always been her spins and moves in the field. She is a joy to behold. But a lack of consistency on jumps has held her back.

This year, in two long and two short programs on the Grand Prix circuit, she has only one fall. If she can keep this up, she can be stunning.

IMHO, and judging by their accomplishments so far, Mao appears poised to become the megastar of the future.

Thanks for all this great info MM - one thing to note about Yu-Na Mi (thanks by the way i forgot her first name!) aren't the programs shorter with less elements in juniors? Aren;t they mising a spin element or some such thing in one of the programs? So Kim's score (although in reality not really comparable) high as it is could well be higher with senior programs.

Ant

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If Yu-Na Kim gets a triple axel and a more solid triple-triple I think she could be the one to overtake Asada. I saw Kim at the World juniors last year, and some other junior events she was in, and I lurved here skating!!!!! :clap:

S

SkateFan4Life

Vash01 said:
Sasha is definitely going to be a favorite, particularly if she wins the US Nationals. My gut feeling is that she will win it this year and that will give her tremendous confidence going into the Olympics. Unfortunately I don't get very good feelings about Michelle. Being untested under the COP is going to be a MAJOR roadblock for her, even if she is healthy and trained. I think our networks will advertise this as a battle between the balletic Sasha and the athletic Irina. Michelle has a great chance to be the spoiler, but will she do it? Shizuka, Carolina, Miki, Kimmie (I think she will be there in Torino) will have that opportunity too. It is hard to predict what will happen when it counts.

Vash

Irina will win in Torino, provided that she doesn't self-destruct on the ice. Sasha may win the silver, but I just don't think she will win the gold - unless Irina bombs in her long program. Michelle has me worried, too. I honestly doubt if she will even win a medal at Torino, and that would be a sad way to end her Olympic career. I'm assuming of course, that Michelle won't stay in the game for another long four years!!