Thoughts on the 1980 Winter Olympics, Lake Placid, New York, USA | Golden Skate

Thoughts on the 1980 Winter Olympics, Lake Placid, New York, USA

S

SkateFan4Life

I recently viewed my videotape of the 1980 Winter Olympics, held in Lake Placid, New York. What great figure skating competitions they were!

The men's competition:
Great Britain's Robin Cousins, who won the gold medal, landed three triple jumps - a triple loop, triple toe, and triple walley. He landed an absolutely huge delayed single axel, two clean double axels, a double flip, double lutz, and a variety of crisp, fast spins. Robin's choreography was very interesting and intricate, and part of his music was taken from the soundtrack of "Murder on the Orient Express". Watching this program, I thought, "Robin deserved to win, and his skating is so pure and wonderful. Great edges, artistry, and flow." Bravo! While the bar has been raised umpteen times, technically, during the past 25 years, with triple axels, quads, and the like, IMHO Robin Cousins was the epitome of a great skater and a great champion.

The men's silver medalist, East Germany's Jan Hoffman, skated a long program that was, quite frankly, pretty limited in artistic content. He landed several triples, but they were landed a bit awkwardly, and he showed little, if any musical interpretation. I recall that a "Sports Ilustrated" article on the figure skating competition included a photo of Hoffman with the remark that "Hoffman looked like an expertly spinning oak tree as he performed". Not exactly complimentary. Hoffman went on to win the World title a few weeks after Lake Placid.

Charlie Tickner of the USA, the men's bronze medalist, landed two triples, a number of doubles, and skated a good, but not great, long program. He skated with a lot of speed, and he had some interesting connecting footwork between his jumps.

The fourth and fifth placed men, America's David Santee and Scott Hamilton, respectively, skated clean long programs and did well to place as high as they did. Santee skated to selections from "Rocky" - music he skated to for several competitive seasons. I would call his skating strong and solid. Hamilton skated with a lot of speed and exhuberance, if not with a lot of style.

While the the 1980 Olympic competitors' programs would be considered weak by today's standards, I don't remember them having the long list of injuries that plagues today's skaters. The men in those days stayed relatively healthy and injury-free, for the most part.

The ladies' competition:
IMHO, Denise Biellman of Switzerland should have won the gold medal, with her outstanding, athletic skating - her triple lutz and the wonderful Biellman spin. Instead, she had to settle for fourth place, out of the medals. Denise was not a great compulsory school figures skater, and her placement in that phase kept her off of the Olympic podium. I liked her jazzy, strong style and her great jumps. She was clearly a champion in the wings.

The women's gold medalist, Annet Poetzsch of East Germany, presented a long program to the sountrack of "Funny Girl" - an obvious attempt by her coach Jutta Muller to appeal to the American audience. Annet stumbled on one of her two triple attempts and only landed one triple jump. Her jumping technique was quite stilted, in my opinion, yet she seemed to convey a joy of skating and had some nice moments in the program. She was a strong school figures skater and had won that phase of the competition. Annet finished fourth in the short program and third in the long program, yet her overall points were enough to carry the day for her. She was the first East German woman to win Olympic gold, and she was quite emotional when her country's anthem was played.

I enjoyed American Linda Fratianne's "Carmen" long program, and watching it, I thought, "This was a better long program than Poetzsch". She landed two triples at the beginning of her program - salchow and toe - and landed a number of clean doubles. While there were no obvious mistakes or watering down of jumps, Linda did not present a fiery Carmen. She looked like a schoolgirl out there, trying to portray an adult character, IMHO. Linda had finished third in the school figures, first in the short, and second in the long. We all remember the controversy that surrounded the judges' decision. When all is said and done, however, Poetzsch won according to the rules.

The bronze medalist was West Germany's Dagmar Lurz, a lady who turned in a totally boring, uninspired long program (IMHO). Watching this I thought, "How in the world did this skater win the bronze and Biellman was left off the podium?" Of course, the cumulative scores told the story.

Lisa-Marie Allen of the US, who finished 2nd to Linda Fratianne at the 1978, 1979, and 1980 US Nationals, skated very well at Lake Placid and finished a strong fifth.

The pair's competition:
Again, I saw the heartbreaking withdrawal of US champions Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner. Randy had injured his groin prior to the US Nationals and had reinjured the groin in a late night practice session at Lake Placid. As they were warming up for the short program, Randy attempted several double flip jumps and fell each time. Clearly, something was wrong. After all of the skaters had cleared the ice, Randy came out alone and attempted another double flip and landed on his seat. At that point, he skated to the boards, conferred with his coach John Nicks, and he and Tai were seen leaving the ice, with Tai in tears. Dick Button, commentating, said, "I don't feel sorry because they're Americans. I feel sorry because they have trained for so many years and have reached the point where they can show the world how great they are. What a luck of the draw!"

The Soviet Union's pair team of Irina Rodnina and Alexandr Zaietev won their second consecutive Olympic title (her third, as she had won in 1972 with former partner Alexsei Ulanov). Their long program was strong and solid, but, frankly, it wasn't artistic (IMHO). Just a lot of simple stroking and little, if any musical interpretation. At the end of their long program, they were clearly tired, and finished with a wimper, not with a bang. Yet, they won. It was nice to see that the pro-American audience, who had wanted to see Tai and Randy on the podium, enthusiatically cheer Irina and Alexandr.

Soviet pair Marina Cherkasova and Sergei Shakrai won the silver medal. I was amused as I watched them skate again. Marina was a tiny wisp of a girl - probably no taller than 4'6", while Sergei was around 5'10" or so. As a result of their huge height difference, Sergei threw his partner in the air like a rag doll.
They skated with unison, but their height difference and Marina's tiny body made them look like a very mismatched pair - sizewise - in my opinion. Still, they skated well enough in the judge's view to win the silver medal.

The bronze medal was won by East Germans Manuella Mager and Uwe Bewersdorff, a very dynamic team.

Kitty and Peter Carruthers, the US pairs silver medalists, skated well and finished fifth. Not bad for your first major senior international competition.

Pairs skating has clearly advanced, technically speaking, during the past two decades. None of the pairs at Lake Placid performed the kind of triple twist lifts, throw triples, and side-by-side triples that are standard fare in today's top pairs.
Cherkasova and Shakrai did perform a triple twist lift, but, again, it was so much a matter of an adult man throwing a little kid in the air that it did not look like the kind of twist lift that is done today.

The ice dance competition:
Soviet dancers Natalia Linichuk and Gennadi Karponosov won the gold medal with a performance that, IMHO, was strong but uninspired. There was a lot of posing but not much choregraphy and dancing. The audience clearly wasn't exactly thrilled with their performance, either, and they gave the Soviets tepid applause.

The silver medalists, Hungarians Kriztina Regoczy and Andras Sallay, skated a lively long program to folk music. They were the audience favorites and earned a loud ovation, but the marks weren't that generous (IMHO). Frankly, I thought they should have won the gold medal, as they performed more intricate steps and showed far, far more musical interpretation. R & S went on to win the 1980 World title a few weeks later.

Another Soviet dance pair, Irina Moiseeva and Andrei Minenkov (known as "Min and Moe") won the bronze medal. I liked their long program and thought it was beautifully skated.

Judy Blumberg and Michael Seibert of the US finished seventh at Lake Placid.

Etc.....

A young Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean, competing in their first Olympics, finished an impressive fifth. They showed the talent that would eventually take them to four World titles and the 1984 Olympic gold medal.

14-year-old Elaine Zayak of the US, who had finished 4th at Nationals, sat in the audience, enthralled at the competition. She would go on to win the US title and the World silver medal the following year.

18-year-old Brian Orser of Canada, who had just missed qualifying for his country's Olympic team, also sat in the audience and watched the men's competition. He would go on to a stellar eligible career that included the 1987 World title and 1984 and 1988 Olympic silver medals.

S

SkateFan4Life

One of the most dramatic aspects of the Lake Placid Winter Olympics was that most of the figure skating competition was broadcast LIVE, so those of living on the US East coast had the opportunity to watch the competition unfold as it actually unfolded.

Those were pre-Internet, pre-CNN, and pre-instant messaging days, so the live television programming provided for us an exciting chance to "be there as it happened."

Contrast that to Innsbruck, 1976. We already knew that Dorothy Hamill had won the gold medal :clap: prior to the telecast, and of course, we all tuned in to watch her winning performance. It just wasn't dramatic, as we already knew the outcome. :biggrin: