Sokolova - 15
Rochette - 14
Arakawa -14

Still 2 GPs to skate

Miki Ando
Vikka Volchkova

1 Further GP to Skate

Slutskaya 12 Only needs a 4th place
Onda 7 Must get at least 3rd (safer at 2nd)
Nakaro 7 Must get at least 3rd (safer at 2nd)

Meissner 4 Must get lst place
Hughes 4 Must get 1st place

Pavuk(3) Kostner(2) Dyrt(2) Must get miracle.

For predicting the Finals Entries:

I think Slutskaya, Asado, Czisny, Ando, Onda, Sokolova

What's your thinking?

gezando

Final Flight
Ah... poor Arakawa.

I think the Japanese federation are very smart in sending Mao to compete against Irina, and Cohen, but they fell asleep on Arakawa's assignment, should have sent her to SA, and SC. I don't feel too good about Ando having to face Irina in COR either.

rain

Record Breaker
I wonder if some of the ladies aren't hoping NOT to get into the final.... The biggie this year is the Olympics and some might want a little more uninterupted practice time rather than another high-pressure competition. Of course, there's always the aspect of wanting to be seen as a contender, but looking at Worlds and the Grand Prix circuit the last couple of years, how you placed, or if you attended the GPF doesn't seem to have made much of a difference - at least in the singles disciplines.

Joannie Rochette, with a second and a fourth, has the tie breaker among all the skaters with 14 points so far. Onda (also Nakaro) need a second place to beat her.

Amazingly enough, Kostner could still pull off the "miracle." With only 2 points, she could still win NHK against a relatively weak field. This would give her 14 and the tie-breaker advantage over all other 14 pointers.

MM :)

gezando said:
Ah... poor Arakawa.

I think the Japanese federation are very smart in sending Mao to compete against Irina, and Cohen, but they fell asleep on Arakawa's assignment, should have sent her to SA, and SC. I don't feel too good about Ando having to face Irina in COR either.
But at the time they thought Michelle and Sasha would be at Skate America.

Michelle and Sasha dropping out of SA gave the gold to the veteran Sokolova. Czisny was not even in the entrants list at the time.

I think the Federations will have second thoughts on not sending their skaters to SA and SC in the future. Michelle and Sasha more than likely won't be anywhere next GPs. Federatiions should consider, too, that these early GPs give plenty of rest time for their Nats and Worlds. And dump Campbells. the trip ain't worth it for an Asian.

And yes, these entries are luck of the drawer. If Yoshie gets the Final and she could, then Shiz just had the bad drawer.

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
Mathman said:
But at the time they thought Michelle and Sasha would be at Skate America.
Well then at least sent Arakawa to SC, I speculate that the Japanese Federation sent Mao to go all out and comepete with Irina and Cohen, but since last time when Mao met Arakawa at Japanese nationals she beat Shizuka, they should expect that Arakawa might be beaten by Mao again in COC and TEB.

gezando said:
Well then at least sent Arakawa to SC, I speculate that the Japanese Federation sent Mao to go all out and comepete with Irina and Cohen, but since last time when Mao met Arakawa at Japanese nationals she beat Shizuka, they should expect that Arakawa might be beaten by Mao again in COC and TEB.
That is an interesting thought. Put Mao out there to send other counties the message, we can beat you with a girl who is not even eligible. But as it is, Mao probably knocked Arakawa out of the GP final.

As Rain says above, maybe Arakawa didn't want to skate in the final.

Ando has to skate against Slutskaya at cup of Russia (also Onda). In the final event, NHK, Ando will probably be favored, with Nakano and Suguri also competing against a comparatively weak international field.

I have to say, with Alissa and now Mao giving us a fresh start, this is the first time I have ever cared about who makes the GP final.

MM :)

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
One of the advantages of having so many of the "big names" not competing is that American audiences get introduced to the up-and-comers, like Alissa.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This might be the future of the elite class once the veterans retire. Interesting. A battle of the up-and-comers.......plus Irina.

ATW27

On the Ice
gezando said:
since last time when Mao met Arakawa at Japanese nationals she beat Shizuka, they should expect that Arakawa might be beaten by Mao again in COC and TEB.

Actually, IIRC, Mao didn't beat Shizuka at Japanese Nationals last season; I think Arakawa was leading after the short, but then withdrew due to her injuries. I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that was the way it was.

Andy W.

gezando

Final Flight
ATW27 said:
Actually, IIRC, Mao didn't beat Shizuka at Japanese Nationals last season; I think Arakawa was leading after the short, but then withdrew due to her injuries. I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that was the way it was.

Andy W.

You are right.

euterpe

Medalist
Arakawa withdrew from the Japanese Nationals FS because the boot problems had given her severe blisters. She skated in the SP (at the Japanese Federation's insistence) with a numbed foot.

Everyone is forgetting Elena Liashenko at NHK. She was 4th at that incredibly tough CoC and NHK is a sleeper competition by comparison. Her "West Side Story" program is a winner, and she looks fabulous in her unitard. She needs gold to win a spot at the final outright, and silver to tie with Rochette (the higher two-competition total breaks the tie). Elena is very popular in Japan and has to be considered a gold medal contender.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Everyone is forgetting Elena Liashenko at NHK. She was 4th at that incredibly tough CoC and NHK is a sleeper competition by comparison. Her "West Side Story" program is a winner, and she looks fabulous in her unitard.
ITA. I loved Elena at CoC, she is very CoP friendly, and she could very well win NHK (a point I made on another thread).

gezando

Final Flight
I think the Japanese Federation took a page from the usfsa play book. In COR 2000, USA sent the 2 young guns Sarah and Sasha deep into Russian territory to compete with Russia's best. In 00- 01 season Irina and Maria were the reigning world silver and bronze medalists, plus there were Cupcake and VV both doing well in the GP circuit. Irina also came off a win against Michelle Kwan in Skate Canada that year. Representing Russia in COR 2000 were Irina, Cupcake, and Victoria. Hughes and Cohen almost pulled it off in terms of podium placement by placing 3 and 4th. Unfortunately by 4:3 margin Hughes took Cohen off the podium, very similar to what happened between Mao, and Shizuka this year.