New Article on Alissa Czisny | Golden Skate

New Article on Alissa Czisny

She's worried about making 3rd place at the Nats. It's conceivable that she may win the gold. The lady has everything a gold medalist needs. More than just my opinion.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
She's worried about making 3rd place at the Nats. It's conceivable that she may win the gold. The lady has everything a gold medalist needs. More than just my opinion.

Joe

I think she's being realistic... and it's nice to see her acknowledge teh competition instead of shrugging it off.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Interesting that she only placed 2nd at Sectionals. :eek:hwell:
Alissa Czisny placed 2nd (to Katy Taylor) at last year's Midwestern Sectionals; she had a bye through Mids this past weekend due to having qualified for the Sr. GP Final.

I'm looking seriously at Alissa for consistencies. She's had two consistent SPs and two consistent LPs now. The question is, will she have the consistency at the GPF? I don't expect her to beat Slutskaya and Asada but if the consistency is there, I can see a bronze at the GPF and maybe a gold at US Nats.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Can she do it? Yes.

WILL she do it? A whole 'nother story. I think her biggest competitor is Kimmie Meissner.

Good to know her head's staying in the right place. Nothing is worse than a false sense of security, IMO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
WILL she do it? A whole 'nother story. I think her biggest competitor is Kimmie Meissner.

I disagree... her biggest competitor is her nerve... if her nerve gives out... she had better hope everyone else has the same problem...

it's that old cliche - the biggest competition is herself

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
I disagree... her biggest competitor is her nerve... if her nerve gives out... she had better hope everyone else has the same problem...

it's that old cliche - the biggest competition is herself

Well, but anyone can say that. If we assume Alissa can overcome that, Kimmie better be on.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Toni,
I agree about the nerves problem. But look at it this way, she's had a fantastic season so far and she still has GP final before Nationals. If she does well there, that could be a whole lot of confidence boosting. Plus, since I don't really know much about her, I don't know if nerves have been her major downfall or "feet injuries." (hey, blame that reporter. I'd have said foot injuries.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
to be honest I really don't know much about her either... but reading past "reports" on her I have always been under the impression that nerves would tend to get the best of her....

she has more pressure now going into the GPF and if she does skate amazingly well again there she would have even MORE pressure going into Nationals... it's almost a no win situation

I hope she skates amazingly well though... she is fun to watch :thumbsup:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
I hope she skates amazingly well though... she is fun to watch :thumbsup:

Now THAT I can agree with. She blew me away at Skate America when I wasn't expecting anything from her. :clap: :clap: :clap: And I think she skated even better at Skate Canada. Best Wishes, Alissa! :love:

JOHIO2 said:
Now THAT I can agree with. She blew me away at Skate America when I wasn't expecting anything from her. :clap: :clap: :clap: And I think she skated even better at Skate Canada. Best Wishes, Alissa! :love:
She's better LIVE but that's a summer topic.:)

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
About the TV vs. live debate...do you think it would add anything if TV showed coverage of the entire rink instead of the typical "side" view following the skater around?

Red Dog said:
About the TV vs. live debate...do you think it would add anything if TV showed coverage of the entire rink instead of the typical "side" view following the skater around?
Decidedly. that's what the judges see.

jesslily

Final Flight
At nationals, she and Kimmie, who is tougher mentally, who will be the third for the Olympic team.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Sylvia said:
Alissa Czisny placed 2nd (to Katy Taylor) at last year's Midwestern Sectionals; she had a bye through Mids this past weekend due to having qualified for the Sr. GP Final.
Oh, now I realize why I was seeing 2 of everything! I didn't realize that I was looking at this year's as well as last year's sectionals! :laugh:

jesslily said:
At nationals, she and Kimmie, who is tougher mentally,...
I am always curious about how people come to judgments like this. Why do you think one skater is "mentally tougher" than another?

MM :)

orchid

On the Ice
jesslily said:
At nationals, she and Kimmie, who is tougher mentally, who will be the third for the Olympic team.

What is this statement based upon? The ONE triple axel landed at 2004 Nationals?

Does that really make Kimme a tough competitor? Nope, She took a chance and in her words, had nothing to lose. Subsequently hasn't landed another in competition, and has difficulty landing other jumps.Meanwhile, without that jump, the content of her programs cannot maintain high scores. Unlike Mao, who can 'afford', to miss the 3axel, her program content beats Sasha.

Is Kimmie tougher than others, I think not.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think Kimmie is tougher than Czisny, though maybe this is the year that Alissa has her breakthrough. Kimmie is a consistent skater and rebounds after a tough program. I think that of all the new girls, Emily is the toughest, but unfortunately her physique makes it difficult for her to hit the jumps. Though Emily really fights her way through all her performances and makes the best out of every element.

Just as with the men, Evan is the toughest competitor who pulls through in a clutch.