Russian Sweep? | Golden Skate

Russian Sweep?

My podium predictions:

Men: Plushenko, Klimkin, Dobrin.

Ladies: Slutskaya, Basova, Gimezetdnova (replacing Volchkova)

Pairs: Totmianina/Marinen, Obertas/Slavnov :love: , Mukhortova/Trankov

Dance: Navka/Kostamarov, Orlova/Novikov, Domnina/Shubalin.

MM :)

anya_angie

Final Flight
Really those are my predictions as well! Though for the men I wouldn't be surprised if a non-Russian makes it to the 2nd or 3rd step of the podium.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
My podium predictions:

Come on now!! Don't you think Ando will suddenly become "Russian" and be part of the sweep????
GO Miki, GO Miki, .....Miki Miki you're so fine...... :clap:

DG

Kasey

Medalist
Depending on how Plush does, I could see Lambiel sneaking up to the top rung...otherwise, yeah, it looks like a sweep (although not quite as drastic as Mathman predicts!)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Plushenko might be the weak link in a Russian sweep. He has not participated in any international competitions, and as far as I understand he is not in top condition. Of course the latter could apply to Lambiel and Weir, too.

LOL, the prediction of a Russian podium sweep in every discipline is extremely unlikely in any of them. Seriously, It could be possible though to have two Russian medalists maybe in two different disciplines.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Mathman said:
My podium predictions:

I love that you (humorously, of course) place Orlova/Novikov in second, in their premiere international event as a team! I would love to see that result...unfortunately, I think top six here would be a success! :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As I said in the MEN thread, I don't see Klimkin on the podium. He was beaten by Gregor Urbas and Marc Anthony Craig at Golden Spin, and his total Golden Spin score of 170 wouldn't have placed him higher than 5th at any of the previous GP events.

I think a Russian sweep of the GOLD medals is likely, though.

In MEN, I think Plushenko and Lambiel are locks for the podium. Lambiel scored 203 points at Cup of China, and that score would have put him on the podium at any of the other GP events. Plushy has always ruled CoR and I expect him to put forth a strong effort at home. Weir could make the podium with a pair of good skates, if his ankle has sufficiently healed. You never know what to expect from Stefan Lindemann, Song Gao and Yasuharu Nanri.

Irina rules the LADIES, and I think Miki Ando and Yoshie Onda will outskate Tatiana Basova. I'd say Irina and Miki will be on the podium for sure, and they might be joined by Onda or Poykio. I'd be very surprised to see Hughes or Sebestyen there.

In PAIRS, there's no question that TT/MM will win the gold medal. They were a bit off last week but still won, if only by an eyelash. Russia can get a double here, with Obertas/Slavnov, but I think the third spot will go to the Poles.

In ICE DANCE, the designated OGM winners Navka/Kostomarov are certain to get the gold medal. The Israelis will surely win the silver medal. Here, too, the 2nd Russian team DomShabs are the most likely to win bronze, with the GregPets in 4th.

So of the 12 medals up for grabs, I say the Russians will win half of them: 4 golds, and either a silver and a bronze or two bronze.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Actually, I think the best results (for the purposes of generating massive discussions on skating boards) would be a Russian sweep -- with the golds going to Klimkin; Basova; Obertas/Slavnov, and the Dom/Shabs.

euterpe

Medalist
There was a sweep of gold medals, but no sweep in any discipline.

Anybody who thinks Plushenko is vulnerable had better think again. He has served notice to Sandhu, Buttle and Lambiel that it's going to take two squeaky clean programs chock-full of technical difficulty to beat him.

A score of 87 in the SP says Sandhu cannot possibly hope to beat Plushy by making up for a bad SP in the FS.

A score of 154 in the FS says Buttle cannot win without a quad and a 3A, and that Lambiel cannot win with two quads and no 3A.

The gauntlet has been thrown down. Plushy won't be at the GPF, so the next time these skaters meet will be in Torino. Plushy will be ready----will they?

JOHIO2

Medalist
chuckm,

May I suggest that we just go ahead and abbreviate the designated Olympic Gold medalist as DOGM??? :p

JOHIO2

Medalist
As separate reply because I just thought of it -- perhaps we should add an a to that acronym, giving us DOGMA! :biggrin:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
As separate reply because I just thought of it -- perhaps we should add an a to that acronym, giving us DOGMA! :biggrin:

I'm likin' it so far....I'll take it another step and just say DOGS ROCK!!!! :). If Kimba gets her BH next weekend, I swear to the skate dogs that I won't CARE who wins an FS comp. OK. Now I'm on record.

DG