Will There Be Any Suspense for the GOLD? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will There Be Any Suspense for the GOLD?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I wouldn't call it wishful thinking on my part, necessarily, because I really don't care WHO wins the GM in Mens. Just a weird vibe I'm getting. Kind of like the one I got at the 04 Worlds a couple of days before the Ladies competition started that told me Michelle was going to be 3rd in her qualifying group. Which she was. Besides, if Plushenko has a rough outing, and a few others have great outings, you can only inflate and deflate scores so much to make him come out ahead anyway before the squawking begins.

JonnyCoop said:
I wouldn't call it wishful thinking on my part, necessarily, because I really don't care WHO wins the GM in Mens. Just a weird vibe I'm getting. Kind of like the one I got at the 04 Worlds a couple of days before the Ladies competition started that told me Michelle was going to be 3rd in her qualifying group. Which she was. Besides, if Plushenko has a rough outing, and a few others have great outings, you can only inflate and deflate scores so much to make him come out ahead anyway before the squawking begins.
Very true Jonny - But think about all those ifs. There are skaters I would love to see win more than any of the Russians in this Field but it just isn't going to happen. Only the IFS can make it happen, imo.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As the ice is slippery, LOL, I hope there will be at least one or two surprises among the gold medal winners. The situation of Russians winning each gold medal looks strong this moment, but one can always hope for surprises. Besides a lot can depend on the skate order in the freeskate, especially in men and ladies. If there is a very strong performance by the first or second skater in the last group, it will make the rest (or at least the next skater) very nervous, I´d imagine.

Plushenko is a very strong competitor, but he does have meltdowns (although very rarely). I´d believe that if he is the first to skate in last group, others can forget any gold medal dreams they might have harboured. The main thing is that other skaters cannot allow him to take a too big lead in the short programme. That means faultless short programmes from everyone = the condenders.

Slutskaya blew her gold medal because of the freeskate in SLC although there was every possibility for her to win. I have always suspected that before her skate she got wrong advise from the coach about what she needed to do for a win. Maybe the coach forgot Hughes and just concentrated on the situation between Slutskaya and Kwan?

There are skaters that really shine in front of the home crowd and also skaters that don´t. I wonder into which group Kostner will belong in the Olympics?

Totmianina & Marinin are strong, but are they really strong enough to win if Shen & Zhao are in good condition?

Navka & Kostomarov, I would say that Belbin & Agosto might at least have a chance.

Last edited:

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Beating the odds...

Jimmy Hoffa said:
The odds are extremely low, but I am throwing my hat in the ring for Kwan to win ladies gold. Since I'm being ridiculous, I might as well bet on Shen and Zhao for gold. :biggrin:

I'm with you on both counts...after all, who in the world thought Sarah would take the gold? I'm not counting out Kwan, and I'd love to see a great showing of S/Z!

curious

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Very true Jonny - But think about all those ifs. There are skaters I would love to see win more than any of the Russians in this Field but it just isn't going to happen. Only the IFS can make it happen, imo.

Joe

You don't love the Russians Joe? lol!:biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
To get back to the original question, I believe there will be suspense IF AND ONLY IF Irina's lead after the SP is less than 3 points.

KelyScot

Spectator
I totally disagree with slutskayafan 21. Michelle has not in any way dropped in good standing with the view of the international judges. . only improved. She has shown over the last 12 years to be nothing but a strong and most importantly gracious competitor (traits I also admire in Irina)
Don't count michelle out. . no one knows what she has planned at the Olympics. She has the most respect worldwide, the most experience, and the largest fan base of any skater in History. Kwan can pull it out if she skates well, so can Irina. I have no real expectations for Sasha, she is a lovely skater, but has been quoted saying some disrepectful things towards both Michelle and Irina so I am not rooting for her. If Kwan and Irina are in the top 4 after the SP. . it will be a fight for the Gold between them with a possible spoiler out there.
And one other thing. . without Michelle Kwan I the ratings for NBC would suffer therefore the sport would suffer a bit this Olympics. People watch because she is competing

R.D.

Record Breaker
What disrespectful things has Cohen said? I recall her saying maybe a couple of possibly controversial statements (a while back) but she seems to have toned "it" down a lot lately. OTOH, it's Irina who has said not-so-good things about her competitors (but seems to respect MK).

zeytin

Rinkside
i don' t think Russians will get the golds in all disciplines...:scratch: in 2002 irina was again very likely to win the gold but she couldn't...i think the japanese ladies may surprise us...but my heart goes for irina or mitchell........

i think T/M are very likely to win in pairs...but in ice dance i'm waiting for a excited competition...i liked drobiazko/ vanagas very much in euros :clap: it was so passionate! perhaps they will disappoint Russians or is it a long shot? :)

zeytin

S

SkateFan4Life

Assuming that all of the skaters are healthy and injury-free, I would not be at all surprised if the Russians swept the gold medals.

Women - Irina Slutskaya
Men - Evgeny Plushenko
Pairs - Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin
Dance - Tatiana Novka & Roman Kostomarov

The real drama, as far as I'm concerned, will be the battle for the silver and bronze medals It may be an absolute free-for-all with a half dozen (or more) women and men and perhaps that many pairs and dance teams vying for the two medals.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Picking up on Flojoe's comment in The Edge, what does anyone think that there will be suspense in all the Divisions for the Gold medal?

For me, it is only in Pairs and only if S&Z skate.

Joe

Usually I don't like to predict any skating events, but I am not expecting things to turn out much different in the men's, the ladie's could be anyone, and the pairs are probably fairly predictible. I am hoping for some drama in the ice dance event. I think D&L could be a dark horse.

Serena

Rinkside
As far as the gold, I'd have to say men's will probably be the least suspenseful. Plushenko basically has a lock on the gold. The battle for the men's silver and bronze will be the big question. There's a possibility Plushenko might lose, but the chances are slim to none. A year ago, I would have said N/K can't lose, and while I'd still put my money on them winning, I think D/V or G/G have a good shot at beating them, and you can't count B/A out. Pairs... well, that depends. I'd say T/M will win, but if they screw up enough, and S/Z manage to hold it together, then S/Z should win. I think Irina is most likely to win, but I don't think she has a lock on it. She's not 100% healthy, and she might have a case of nerves. Sasha has a good shot, but I think SI doomed her by predicting that she'd win. And given the streak of teenaged Olympic ladies champions since 94, who's to say Kimmie Meissner won't continue the streak? And the Kween may have a few surprises up her sleeve. IMO, ladies is the biggest question mark.

RubyNV

Rinkside
Not much suspense

:agree:

Irina Slutskaya for gold in ladies--absolutely no question about it
Evgeny Plushenko for gold in men's
I don't think that Irina and Evgeny have any real competition for the gold placements.
Sasha Cohen for the silver. I can't see any other result happening there. It would have been the same if Michelle had not withdrawn. She couldn't get gold or silver under the Code of Points system. I think she would have been a long shot for bronze if not given any favoritism for past achievements.
In pairs, Totmianina and Marinin for gold. No one is going to pass them by for it.
In ice dancing, probably either Belbin and Agosto or N&K .