Great Skating Moments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Great Skating Moments

lulu

Final Flight
anya_angie said:
Plushenko's 04 Worlds. Even with the fall he was miles above everyone else.

As strange as it might seem, since he did have the slip; that performance was always one of my all time favorite Plushenko performances. Just :rock:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Torvil and Dean- 1984 Olympics, I was only in the womb but for me it is it is the standard of perfection.

Kristi Yamaguchi- 1991 Worlds- the first competition I remember watching from beginning to end.

Michelle Kwan- I agree there are many: 1996 Worlds. I didn't think anyone would be better than Lu Lu. 1998 Nationals I never thought I would see that many sixes. 2000 Worlds: many thought she would never win again. 2001 Nationals SP- The best revision of an old program. 2003 Worlds and Nationals I was crying with Dick Button. 2004 Nationals- She took a simple program and turned it into a masterpiece.

Alexei Yagudin 2002 Olympics- He had everything

Angela Nikodinov 2001 Nationals- I don't think there was a dry eye in the Fleet Center that night.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I'll give my own personal recollections of events attended. My favorite event is ladies:

Janet Lynn's last Worlds LP, 1973 (La Valse) - as emotionally uplifting as it gets. Just saw on TV...saw the rest live.

Roz Sumners' 1982 Nationals LP (Thais & Rossini) - a shocker that came on the heels of a lethatgic showing by reigning champ Zayak. I get goosebumps thinking about it.

Liz Manley's 1988 Olympics LP - she outshined the "Carmens," IMO.

Midori Ito's 1989 Worlds LP - she hit the 3-axel and it was up-and-up from there. It wasn't a huge crowd at the Bercy Arena but those of us who were there were jumping & screaming for joy.

Tonya Harding's 1991 Nationals LP - gotta give her the credit for one of the all-time greatest skates, no matter what you think of her now. Tonya went from one spectacular move to another that day.

Oksana's 1993 Worlds Flamenco SP& Broadway Tunes LP, esp the SP....WOW! "Where did she come from?" we all asked. Oksana's 1994 Olympics LP was almost as fantastic.

Tara's 1997 Nationals LP - the tiny tike toppled the pre-ordained Kween & did so magnificently. Incredible! [That's why '98 Olympics was not such a shocker. So I give the nod to Tara's 1997 upset as her greatest moment.]

Michele's Aranjuez LP at the 2003 Worlds in DC - I think that all of us were up our of our seats, yelling, by the time that Michele's change-of-edge spiral rounded the corner!!!

Fumie Suguri's Mozart LP at the Dec 2003 G-P finals. Perfection. I was screaming my head off at the World Arena that night!!! This was the shocker outcome in an event that Sasha was supposed to have won easily.

Most of my memories of 'great moments' yielded unexpected results. When the underdog surfaces to the top, a great skate makes an even greater impact.

Shanti

On the Ice
As I have already written so many times:

Gritchuk/Platov's 1998 Olympics "Memorial" FD