Afleet Alex retired! | Golden Skate

Afleet Alex retired!

bronxgirl

Medalist
I still think there is something wrong with the breeding of today's thoroughbreds. The horses of 50 years ago could carry heavier weights for longer distances and did not break down as quickly. Even with all of the advances of equine veterinary medicine today, horses today just don't seem to be able to match the feats of their predecessors. (And it's not just the money involved in the breeding rights either!)

Johar

Medalist
I agree. As soon as a horse runs well at the top level of racing more than twice, they get hurt and have to retire.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
It's called 'inbreeding to the Phalaris line.' I firmly believe this obsession with trying to breed another Secretariat by inbreeding like crazy, plus nicking Mr. Prospector/Secretariat lines, is creating horses like Fussy Itchy Pegasus--big, muscled, gorgeous, and with ankles made of glass. Especially since the horses are absolutely babied compared to the mid-twentieth century--better surfaces, fewer races, more medications. And yet, Citation came back at five after an injury and while he wasn't the same as he was at three, he could still have 'won carrying the grandstand', as one writer put it. (I join those who believe Citation was the greatest of the Triple Crown winners and in a fair race between all the TC winners of the past, he would win, with Seattle Slew, Secretariat, and War Admiral duking it out for second. Back of the pack would be fluke winners Omaha and Sir Barton, who allegedly had to be coked to the gills to run. Oh, and on a fair modern track, Man O' War could beat every last one of them.)

Also, of course, there's the millions at stake if they keep racing a colt and he ends up breaking something so badly he has to be put down--the money in stud syndications is so high the temptation's got to be overwhelming to just retire as fast as possible.

Johar

Medalist
I bet if Smarty Jones had won the TC he would've been retired immediately after the race.

No wonder I like the allowance and claiming level horses. At least they run more often and stick around.

And I follow Perfect Drift, the gelding. He seldom wins, but often finishes 2nd or 3rd in the big races. His current record is 35 (11-9-6) $3,826,870.

BTW, ESPN is making a movie on Ruffian. Remember her?

bronxgirl

Medalist
I remeber sobbing through the end of the match race and thinking that the trainer of her opponent showed no class with his comments after her valient and tragic death. She was one of the great athletes of her time, human or equine.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Showing my age, I wasn't born for the Ruffian-Foolish Pleasure match, but I have seen footage of it. (And I have the old Breyer of Ruffian.)

I love it when I see horses on TVG in the mid-level claimers more often than I see the big-name horses. I actually feel more attachment to them.

guinevere

Final Flight
I remember Ruffian. I think I was 6 when she ran that last race.

Breyer horses rock! My sister and I just gave our three neices all of our Breyers (after picking out a couple of sentimental favorites to keep). Of course, my sister's are all in perfect condition, while mine...aren't.

Johar

Medalist
I love Breyer horses! I have around 40 and the last one I bought was the Black Arabian Stallion.

Some of mine:

Lonesome Glory--good rendition of the actual horse. Kudos to Breyer.
Cigar--the head is a little big and the stride unnatural, but only so it will stand. Beautiful.

John Henry--lumpy, but very pretty. I like his pose, and at least the model won't bite like the actual horse:rofl:

Man 'O War--the big model. Pretty and majestic, just like the real one.

Secretariat--puny and plain for the "Greatest of all." The color is accurate, though. He is is need of a new model.

Huckleberry Bey--very much like the photos of the famous Arabian.

Halla--very ladylike.

Running Black Beauty--he got alot of play from me. One of my favorites. Mine is unique because he has four white socks instead of one.

Stud Spider--again, one of my favorites.

Yellow Mount--he and Lady Phase had a thing for eachother.:laugh:

Proud Arabian Stallion and Proud Arabian Mare--my stallion is that rich mahogany bay. Very majestic and reminds me of Bey Shah. The mare is dappled grey and one of the firsts I ever owned (thanks Grandma Ann!).