The USA Nationals - Discussions and comments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The USA Nationals - Discussions and comments

CDMM1991

Medalist
Joesitz said:
It wont be Sasha nor Kimmie and that's just about all there is going at US Nats.
Joe

What happened to you thinking that Alissa could win US Nats? She has shown inconsistency, but if it's there that night ...

jayta

Rinkside
I have to say that for your discussion about I&B and O&L...you have to now think about NNN/L!

NNN/L need a little more work on the transitions and combo spins, but I think they have a definite chance to medal at Nationals this year....they look sooo good!:clap:

NNN looks super...if TL can keep up the energy and put a little performance in, they could definitely be contenders!

R.D.

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
What happened to you thinking that Alissa could win US Nats? She has shown inconsistency, but if it's there that night ...

And that comment could go for countless other skaters as well. In other words, it's just not likely, but anything can happen.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Red Dog said:
And that comment could go for countless other skaters as well. In other words, it's just not likely, but anything can happen.

I guess what I don't undersatnd is why it's more likely for it to happen to Kimmie than Alissa. Alissa made GPF, and had higher point totals than Kimmie this year, so why is Kimmie seen as more of a favorite?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
I guess what I don't undersatnd is why it's more likely for it to happen to Kimmie than Alissa. Alissa made GPF, and had higher point totals than Kimmie this year, so why is Kimmie seen as more of a favorite?

Because the USFSA says so. :biggrin: Just kidding. IMO either of these ladies (and more) have a shot at a spot. I just hope they ALL skate great (selfishly) so it's an exciting comp to watch.

DG

CDMM1991 said:
Her weak spot is the SP. If she hits the SP clean, I can see a great LP going for her and in my book she would be a winner. However, I think the USFSA have other ideas on who should win the Nats and I think with all the hype, it will be Ms Cohen. I have hopes that she makes the team, but I'm rooting for Bebe.

Joe

sk8addict

On the Ice
pairs

jayta said:
I have to say that for your discussion about I&B and O&L...you have to now think about NNN/L!

NNN/L need a little more work on the transitions and combo spins, but I think they have a definite chance to medal at Nationals this year....they look sooo good!:clap:

NNN looks super...if TL can keep up the energy and put a little performance in, they could definitely be contenders!
I agree. I&B and O&L cant do a thing internationally. We need new pairs blood. Gosh I miss Don & Hunt. The y could have been champs this year if he could have stayed healthy. Tia Babilonia said it best." U S pairs just don't get it. You have to stay TOGETHER to be competitive internationally."

sk8addict

On the Ice
usfsa

Doggygirl said:
Because the USFSA says so. :biggrin: Just kidding. IMO either of these ladies (and more) have a shot at a spot. I just hope they ALL skate great (selfishly) so it's an exciting comp to watch.

DG
Boy are right on about usfsa. Kimmie should have never gotten the bronze last year. BeBe outskated her by a mile. It was unfair of usfsa to put so much pressure on Kimmie. It will be interesting to see how the usfsa controls the judges in the COP.

CDMM1991

Medalist
1. With Michelle injured, why will Sasha dominate the Ladies Division?

Sasha will dominate the ladies division technically, but not emotionally. No matter what happens, MK will end up as America's sweetheart at the end of this competition.

2. What makes (you name three) the most obvious skaters for the Oly team (in no particular order)?

Sasha Cohen, Belbin and Agosto, and Evan Lysacek. With Michelle as a bit of a question mark, Sasha is one of the strongest ladies in the world right now, let alone in the US, so I think even with a disastrous performance she'd still get onto the podium, and if she didn't, they would send her anyway. Belbin and Agosto have no real competition in the US. Gregory and Petukhov are nowhere near them, and they are World silver medallists and two or three time American champions. Even though I still classify Johnny Weir as a better skater, and see him doing better at Nats, I just find Evan so much more consistent, and I feel like I can rely on him to produce a performance that will give him second or third definitely, whereas it seems Johnny will either skate well enough to run away with it, or skate well enough for sixth, or something like that.

3. Will Christine Zukowski make a statement at the US Nats?

I don't know very much about her skating so I really can't pass a very good judgement on this one. But in my opinion, any one of the American ladies is capable of having the skate of a lifetime and making a statement. On the other hand, they are also all capable of having lack-lustre performances that do nothing for us.

4. Will Johnny continue to be the best entry into the Olys for the US?

Hmmmm. Tough question. Johnny has a much larger potential than Evan does, but Evan is much more consistent. I guess, yes, he would be, because he is the US's best chance at a podium finish if everyone skates at their best.

5. Will we see one of the new boys in town getting on the podium?

I think this is definitely a possibility. Rohene Ward and Scott Smith come to mind. They both have great quads and triple axels when they're on, and with the skate of a lifetime could definitely be a threat to the other American men, that really haven't been showing us anything extraordinary lately.

6. Of Weiss, Savoie, and Geobel skating poorly at Nats, will this be their finish?

Yes, I think so. There is so much talent waiting in the wings that I think if these men falter, there will be a number of men ready to step up to the challenge. And if any of these men don't make the Oly team, this will most definitely be the end oftheir competitive career, and if they do, the end will be after the Olys.

7. How would you see the Men's Oly team (in no particular order) ?

Weir, Lysacek, and and Scott Smith

8. Will O&L give I&B any real competition this Nats?

Judging by their Grand Prix performances, no. Inoue and Baldwin are looking strong, and I think they are very capable of landing the throw triple axel, and it could just happen at the US Nats. Orscher and Lucash have always seemed relatively lack-lustre to me, but we'll see.

9. Will this be the season for H&P to rise to the occasion?

I don't think they have a better chance this season than in any other. They are going to have lots of competition from Evora&Ladwig, and also from NNN and her partner, but as always, with the skate of their lives, anything is possible.

10. Will Miller and Brubaker make a statement this Nats?

Not applicable, they have split, I believe.

11. In no particular order who are your picks for the Oly teams?

Sasha Cohen
Michelle Kwan
Alissa Czisny

Evan Lysacek
Johnny Weir
Scott Smith

Inoue and Baldwin
Nam and Leftheris

Belbin and Agosto
Gregory and Petukhov
Silverstein and O'Meara

12. What would keep B&A from being the best? Who would be the most likely heir to that position?

The only thing that I can think of that would keep Belbin and Agosto from being the best would be injury. If they were injured, and had to withdraw, then Gregory and Petukhov would most likely take the top spot.

13. With G&P very popular can M&Z or S&O overtake them?

No, I don't see it happening. Neither of these teams has ever beat Gregory and Petukhov in head to head competition. But on the other hand, if Gregory and Petukhov have any large faults, then these two teams will both be ready to step and perform I'm sure.

14. Given that B&A will NOT skate in the Olys, who are your picks for the Oly team?

N/A, now that Belbin got her citizenship.

R.D.

Record Breaker
In all honesty, I think Kimmie is the one that will end up with that third spot. Really- it will take a miracle on ice from Alissa and/or a meltdown by Kimmie to reverse the trend. Her GPF showing does not encourage me one bit. The oly team will definitely have kwan and Cohen on the team. And I'm 80% sure that Kimmie will be number three.

CDMM1991

Medalist
It amazes me how one performance at the GPF can change everyone's sentiments about this skater so much. After Skate Canada it seemed like everyone at GS was on the Alissa bandwagon, and then she disappoints at one competition and everyone jumps ship to Kimmie? I'm just not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. Kimmie hasn't shown us anything better since then, so I'm just not sure.

R.D.

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
It amazes me how one performance at the GPF can change everyone's sentiments about this skater so much. After Skate Canada it seemed like everyone at GS was on the Alissa bandwagon, and then she disappoints at one competition and everyone jumps ship to Kimmie? I'm just not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. Kimmie hasn't shown us anything better since then, so I'm just not sure.

Clarification: I was NEVER on the Alissa bandwagon to begin with. ;)

CDMM1991

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Clarification: I was NEVER on the Alissa bandwagon to begin with. ;)

:laugh: This, I am quite aware of. Though my post was immediately following yours, it wasn't it response. It was a general sentiment.

P.S. Joe, just to let you know, I posted a thread of Canadian Nationals predictions, with a few-line explanation of each choice in this section as well.