Michelle | Golden Skate

Michelle

kyla2

Final Flight
Well, as I posted on another thread, I wanted to see Michelle and I did. I think she is still really injured and unable to compete at this level, or any other for that matter. If I was giving her advice I would tell her to forget this year and withdraw from further competition. She doesn't have a snowball's chance in h___L of winning Nationals or the Olympics in this condition. It was painful to watch and I don't want to see her go out like this. IMO, I don't think she will make 2nd or 3rd place at Nationals, never mind 1st. Her SP was not great either, even with the required jumps.

orchid

On the Ice
kyla2 said:
Well, as I posted on another thread, I wanted to see Michelle and I did. I think she is still really injured and unable to compete at this level, or any other for that matter. If I was giving her advice I would tell her to forget this year and withdraw from further competition. She doesn't have a snowball's chance in h___L of winning Nationals or the Olympics in this condition. It was painful to watch and I don't want to see her go out like this. IMO, I don't think she will make 2nd or 3rd place at Nationals, never mind 1st. Her SP was not great either, even with the required jumps.

Oh, I don't think Michelle really needed to push herself very hard to win this competition. I'm not giving up on her, ever.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I would have felt better about this program had the jumps ALL gone south, but the semblence of a competitive SP in other regards have been there. I know MK said "that's fine" or whatever in the press conference yesterday about the fact that her and IS have the same SP music. That's fine if you are kicking tail.

I just remember my own reaction when I saw IS's debut (live on-line) of her short, and I hate to say it, but I don't think this comes close, without even getting into jump content. For me anyway, it's nearly impossible to listen to the same music without mentally comparing the skates. And I will repeat, my impression has nothing to do with jumps right now.

I hope MK "Is Back" for Nationals. I'm not sure what else to say.

DG

K-Mo

On the Ice
I'm worried about her, too. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed!

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Since it seemed she walked off the ice rubbing her hip and back, I'd say she went at this just like she does every other competition, as full out as she could.

As much as it pains me to say this, I don't know if she will be ready by Nationals. AND it is possible for her to get a bye and go to the Olympics which would give her more time. I think she has a tough road to travel still and I know that she wouldn't want to go to the OLYS with a "bye". I just want to see her skate and could care less if she wins anything anymore anywhere.:agree:

kyla2

Final Flight
Orchid-Time For A Reality Check..

Sorry but it is time for a reality check. Michelle is in rough shape, literally and figuratively. She doesn't have her jumps and won't have them all in a month. She is clearly hurting. I WAS IN PAIN JUST WATCHING HER. She is also out of shape, which is understandable, but a month is not going to cut it. I only wish. Two months isn't going to make her competitive with Irina either, not by a long shot. You can hope if you want, but I know reality when it is staring me straight in the face. This is heartbreaking, truly, but it is over for her this year.

orchid

On the Ice
kyla2 said:
Sorry but it is time for a reality check. Michelle is in rough shape, literally and figuratively. She doesn't have her jumps and won't have them all in a month. She is clearly hurting. I WAS IN PAIN JUST WATCHING HER. She is also out of shape, which is understandable, but a month is not going to cut it. I only wish. Two months isn't going to make her competitive with Irina either, not by a long shot. You can hope if you want, but I know reality when it is staring me straight in the face. This is heartbreaking, truly, but it is over for her this year.

Ya know folks, I just may share your opinions of the state of Michelle, but that doesn't mean I want to post it. I

kyla2

Final Flight
Orchid

O.k. point well taken. I won't say another word. But I am pretty sad right now and needed to share my thoughts.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I got the impression that Michelle was really in fighting mode and taking the first round seriously to try out her SP before an audience. Only section that really impressed me was the difficult footwork section. I actually think if she were to get it together she could skate this well. But I have to be honest, this program does nothing for me. Overall, I think she is out of shape a bit and that is understandable. It makes me wonder now what WILL happen at Nationals. I think Sasha will win it this year and I think she knows that and will have the confidence to turn in two good performances without worrying for once about beating Michelle. I really wonder if MK will even wind up on the podium and I NEVER thought I would say that. If AC, KM and BL skate well, it think it could happen. Of course, a lot can happen between now and January but I am really concerned for MK at this point in time. Now I'm not sure if she is a sure bet to make the Oly team. Of course the USFSA would want to have her there, but if she is not skating all that well, will they choose someone over her if they think she doesn't have a prayer of skating well. This MK lover is very concerned.

flowjo35

On the Ice
Wow, after just two skates and being off the ice for a couple of months she is being written off by some. It was reported that she just started doing jumps a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure what some were expecting after the nature of her injury. I was just happy to see her skating again after all this time. I know I am being hopeful that Michelle can recover and get back to her level or close to it in time for nationals. I think that with her short program at least she was going for the difficult jumps instead of backing off like she could have. I also think this is not the full program we will see when she is more healthy. She did what she could and I am glad she did.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Could be, could be not. This year isn't over, and I would not count anyone out yet....especially Michelle. Things certainly don't look good, but I see no reason to completely give up on her. :biggrin: .....but then again, I don't like to give up on anyone! I am such an optimistic uber-cheese at times, but I feel that if anyone can overcome odds like these.....it is Michelle. Let us see what a month can do before we send her home for the season.

Panther2000

On the Ice
I too was ver happyt that at least she attempted to go out their & skate. & Not double everything. She attemped her triples No matter, that she 2 footed them or popped them she tried at an Exhibtion event.

She knows that is in no way ready to skate competitively yet.

I think that she may be on Pregnizone(SP) she is completely bloated. You can see it exspecially in her face.

the extra weight & the injury which is still bothering her is a major factor in her not being able to go all out. She was slow & tentitive. She knows this & the judges also told her so.

Like they said she is a great role modle & always handles herself with class. But, don't think that she won't go back & try to get into shape & get back her jumps. I mean even her 3 Toe which she does in her sleep underwater she coudldn't do that. It tells you how serious this injury really is.

& you can tell that she is still in much pain.

I think that this injury is alot more serious that she is letting on. She had a back & hip problem a few years ago & & this may be the reason why she no longer skates during the actual season & skates on nationals & Worlds. LIke she said she knows when it is time for her body to peek & not to peek.

I give her credit for going out their & acutally skating, not well but she tried.

Lets just hope that she can get into shape & skate well at nationals & Hoepfully The olympics & worlds. Injury free

OllieBee

Spectator
I have followed Michelle since 1994, and she has been my favorite skater for a decade now. I was there in person to root for her when she won Nationals in Atlanta 2 years ago. That said, barring a miracle, I don't see her even challenging Sasha for the title this year, even is Sasha does her traditional Sashasplat. I never thought I see the day when I would say that Sasha could beat Michelle even with a fall, but based on what we saw today, that day has clearly come. I hate that having paced herself for all these years, that she should succumb to injury now of all times. But I think her issues are even deeper than the injury itself. There's the injury, PLUS her profound lack of INEXPERIENCE competing under code of points which I think are a lethal combination. I don't rule out the possibility of her medaling at nationals if her health improves. But I don't think she stands a prayer of medaling in international competition given the likes of Irinina, Shizuka, Sasha, and others who are skating well, can match or exceed her in artistic merit, AND have experience competing under Code of Points. I don't like to be the voice of doom, and I hope and pray that she can recover to at least get into competitive shape in time for Nationals and the Olympics, but this LONG TIME Kwan fan is not very optimistic at this stage of the game.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
OllieBee said:
I have followed Michelle since 1994, and she has been my favorite skater for a decade now. I was there in person to root for her when she won Nationals in Atlanta 2 years ago. That said, barring a miracle, I don't see her even challenging Sasha for the title this year, even is Sasha does her traditional Sashasplat. I never thought I see the day when I would say that Sasha could beat Michelle even with a fall, but based on what we saw today, that day has clearly come. I hate that having paced herself for all these years, that she should succumb to injury now of all times. But I think her issues are even deeper than the injury itself. There's the injury, PLUS her profound lack of INEXPERIENCE competing under code of points which I think are a lethal combination. I don't rule out the possibility of her medaling at nationals if her health improves. But I don't think she stands a prayer of medaling in international competition given the likes of Irinina, Shizuka, Sasha, and others who are skating well, can match or exceed her in artistic merit, AND have experience competing under Code of Points. I don't like to be the voice of doom, and I hope and pray that she can recover to at least get into competitive shape in time for Nationals and the Olympics, but this LONG TIME Kwan fan is not very optimistic at this stage of the game.

Did you HAVE to insult Sasha in the middle of a Kwan tribute (see quote that I bolded)? Honestly, I think it would show more respect to MK who has IMO always been the Kween of Klass to avoid doing that.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I was kind of expecting this doom and gloom ... I almost didn't come here to read the thread, but decided to chance it.
Folks ... did anyone really believe she was going to come out in good shape here? She was off the ice completely for a fairly long time, and only just 2 weeks ago started training jumps and spins again. I find it amazing that she landed anything really. She has a lot of work to do, that's clear. She has a month before Nats, and I feel probably will not peak there as she normally does. But to say she should just quit now, without trying ... well, I'm thankful Michelle is more of a fighter than some of her fans.

And as for the Olympics ... no, she will not win. Either will Sasha or Shizuka or Carolina or Miki. That medal has already been decided. So MK doesn't have to stress about that.

OllieBee

Spectator
Doggygirl said:
Did you HAVE to insult Sasha in the middle of a Kwan tribute (see quote that I bolded)? Honestly, I think it would show more respect to MK who has IMO always been the Kween of Klass to avoid doing that.

I have rarely posted here, and this kind of silliness is the reason why. I meant absolutely no insult to Sasha in my post. It wasn't even a distant thought to "insult" her. The REALITY is, that at the last few Nationals that I've watched, she did not skate a two clean programs without at least one fall/stumble/bobble. On many occastions I've felt that she CLEARLY outskated Kwan, or other competitors, but a fall, or stumble was the difference in her winning. Though a Kwan fan, I actually believe that Sasha has FAR superior artistry and flexibility. That said, I will cease her to utilize any more of my valuable time responding to the petty and superficial.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I am not saying it's over for Kwan in the least. But Nationals may be written already for Sasha. That's fine by me because no one could ever have the 9 Nationals titles that she's won at this point. Maybe down the road, but not now.

I certainly won't write her off for the Olympics. I don't think she did her entire COP SP program. I think she did what she could and was testing her hip. I just love seeing her skate even if she did no jumps at all. Doesn't matter one iota to me. But what I do know is that I prefer actual skating to all the fancy moves/spins that seem to have started being put in every program out there.

I loved what Dick Button said: That it was nice to see a program that didn't have the foot over the head in it. And THAT is what I feel has happened to figure skating. Sasha may not have the Biellman in the program she skated today, but you know it will be in a COP competition. I just don't prefer gumby on ice, that's all. I guess I'm just too old now to actually enjoy what competitive figure skating has become because I realize that I enjoyed watching the total package more than just well placed moves for more points. Oh well, life's a you know what!:)

ETA: Oops, doggygirl, guess you won't like what I said considering the Gumby on ice stuff. It's just an opinion anyway.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I felt really bad watching her and respect her attempt. However I think the injury is worse than we believed. She looked like she has been off the ice for a while. She is certainly not in her best competitor mode. But maybe she is trying to prove to herself that happiness does not mean being number one.

OllieBee

Spectator
nymkfan51 said:
I was kind of expecting this doom and gloom ... I almost didn't come here to read the thread, but decided to chance it.
Folks ... did anyone really believe she was going to come out in good shape here? She was off the ice completely for a fairly long time, and only just 2 weeks ago started training jumps and spins again. I find it amazing that she landed anything really. She has a lot of work to do, that's clear. She has a month before Nats, and I feel probably will not peak there as she normally does. But to say she should just quit now, without trying ... well, I'm thankful Michelle is more of a fighter than some of her fans.

And as for the Olympics ... no, she will not win. Either will Sasha or Shizuka or Carolina or Miki. That medal has already been decided. So MK doesn't have to stress about that.

I didn't think she would come out in good shape. I actually didn't know what to expect given that we've heard next to nothing about her progress in quite some time. I'm just thinking that based on what we DID see today, I question if the one month till Nationals is sufficient time for her to return to competitive shape. I don't think she should quit without trying, and I haven't given up on her. Today, did however help me to adjust my expectations. I DO however agree with you, that all indications are that whereas the OGM is concerned Irina is the clear favorite, though I think a clean Sasha can certainly challenge her.

kyla2

Final Flight
Nymkfan51

O.k. I said I wouldn't say another word, but I feel compelled to explain my doom and gloom. There is something REALLY wrong physically with her Nymkfan51. I don't think she has any control over this situation. She is still injured and on top of that, she is out of shape 1 month prior to Nationals. Time is what she needs and she doesn't have any, unfortunately. I am a Michelle fan before anyone else and I would love for her to be able to make the Olympics in good shape. But I don't see that happening from what I have seen today. She was popping jumps and two footing them in a 3 jump program. We are talking about someone who needs a triple-double-double combination and a triple-triple in a 6 or 7 jump program to compete with Sasha and especially Irina. It isn't going to happen without an act of GOD. If she even makes Nationals, it won't be as the 1st place winner. She will be going on a third place finish or a "bye."