Michelle | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Michelle

76olympics

On the Ice
My husband woke me up to tell me about the possible withdrawal.:no:
I hope it isn't so; that would be such a letdown for Michelle.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
So far, everyone seems nice and sympathetic about Emily's unwillingness to watch the ladies skating. Can you imagine the h*** that would break loose if (G-d forbid) Michelle had to withdraw, but said that it would be too painful for her, and she wouldn't be watching?

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Plus the fact that a lot of the athletes that ARE there who were competing the next day chose not to attend the opening ceremonies and rest. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and it isn't a "dis" on any country. Why would it be? Even though I enjoy the opening ceremonies, they've just become overdone and too long. All I truly enjoy is watching the parade of athletes and taking the oath. The rest is just for entertainment. So I can fully understand athletes that choose not to participate.

soogar

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
So far, everyone seems nice and sympathetic about Emily's unwillingness to watch the ladies skating. Can you imagine the h*** that would break loose if (G-d forbid) Michelle had to withdraw, but said that it would be too painful for her, and she wouldn't be watching?

I'm not sure where you're getting at, but the USFS took a chance when they put her on the team despite not being ready and still recovering from injury. Whether Michelle would find it painful to watch or not, at least she is in control of whether she competes or not. Now she can be honest with herself about her injury or she can hope for the best and compete, possibly posting a really horrible finish that she would be skewered for in the press. I hope for Emily's sake that she makes the decision quickly so she can get to Torino in time to recover from the jetlag so Emily can skate the best she can.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
attyfan said:

Emily didn't say that to the press. She may have said that to her sister. There's a big difference, IMO, between a private conversation and a public announcement. I don't understand the problem you have with it. It's not that hard to be sensitive to the rather overwhelming conflicting emotions which she must be experiencing. Having worked so hard and wanted and dreamed about being there for so long, it must hurt like hell to see it slip away.

Remember, Emily is not that rarest of creatures-a mature adult. She's a 16 year old kid. Show some empathy. She's doing a great job of handling this so far. There has been no whining, no complaints, and no snitfits. Her parents have a great deal to to take pride in with their kids. If it eases Emily's pain not to watch right now, she can wait till she's ready to see the videos. There's no need for the kid to take on more than she can handle right now.

SusanBeth said:
Emily didn't say that to the press. She may have said that to her sister. There's a big difference, IMO, between a private conversation and a public announcement. I don't understand the problem you have with it. It's not that hard to be sensitive to the rather overwhelming conflicting emotions which she must be experiencing. Having worked so hard and wanted and dreamed about being there for so long, it must hurt like hell to see it slip away.

Remember, Emily is not that rarest of creatures-a mature adult. She's a 16 year old kid. Show some empathy. She's doing a great job of handling this so far. There has been no whining, no complaints, and no snitfits. Her parents have a great deal to to take pride in with their kids. If it eases Emily's pain not to watch right now, she can wait till she's ready to see the videos. There's no need for the kid to take on more than she can handle right now.

:bow:

Right on, Susan Beth. :bow:

Emily seems more mature than several adults I know. (My own self included.)

attyfan said:

I'm sure she'd be given much sympathy in the press and on the boards.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not to cut down on Emily, but I'm sure she has guidance from parents, coach and her big sister as to how to handle a situation like this. I wouldn't think for a moment that she's acting on her own will.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
All kids need guidance, though, heaven knows, very few will actually follow it, At least, they won't follow it without letting everyone in the world know of the bitter oppression they have to endure. :boohoo: The slammed doors, sullen looks, pouts, and mutterings can just resound! No matter what the guidance was, it was Emily who ultimately chose to take the high road.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reports that Michelle is withdrawing are vastly exaggerated. She was exhausted from jetlag and stiff from standing 4 hours in the cold, and so she had a rocky practice and a hard fall that hurt. She will return to practice tomorrow.

I hope Michelle doesn't withdraw, but if she does, Emily's performance will silence all those critics who said she deserved to go. They will finally understand why 30 of 32 committee members chose Michelle over her.

chuckm said:
Reports that Michelle is withdrawing are vastly exaggerated. She was exhausted from jetlag and stiff from standing 4 hours in the cold, and so she had a rocky practice and a hard fall that hurt. She will return to practice tomorrow.

I hope Michelle doesn't withdraw, but if she does, Emily's performance will silence all those critics who said she deserved to go. They will finally understand why 30 of 32 committee members chose Michelle over her.

We'll see.

IIRC, Michelle finished 8th in her first Worlds after the 3 Olympic medalists had withdrawn. So I figure if Emily gets 11th or better at Worlds (adjustable for no-show medalists), she's done just as well by herself as Kwan did in 94. Same if she ends up skating here. Give the girl a break.