Commentators - Who do you NOT Want to See Cover the Olympics? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Commentators - Who do you NOT Want to See Cover the Olympics?

Eeyora

Final Flight
NOOOOOO!!!!! I can't stand Sandra. She is a snob and always has been. Is there anything we can do to oust her, a petition emails, boycott sponsors( I would go that far with thje ones that use MK) Nothing is ever good enough for her. I used to like Scott but not after his Yagudin commentary . Hopefully we can download commentary free programs. Good for NBC for at least hiring Dick Button. At least Peter or Roz won't be commentating.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Eeyora said:
NOOOOOO!!!!! I can't stand Sandra. She is a snob and always has been. Is there anything we can do to oust her, a petition emails, boycott sponsors( I would go that far with thje ones that use MK) Nothing is ever good enough for her. I used to like Scott but not after his Yagudin commentary . Hopefully we can download commentary free programs. Good for NBC for at least hiring Dick Button. At least Peter or Roz won't be commentating.

I say we ship Sandra back to Canada and let her stay there for the rest of her life.

Seriously, though, I would LOVE to see Dick Button really put Snobby Sandra in her place in Torino. :rock:

shdotz

On the Ice
DO NOTwant to hear Dick Button and Peggy Flemming

Too many years and too much talk from Dick Button.

Remember when he said that Irena Slutzskya would have to learn something else except the Beilman?

Well, now everyone is doing the Beilman because it brings extra points.

So much for Dick Button's input. I believe that he believed what he was saying, but he was dead wrong.

How about someone who is impartial and knows skating like Paul Wylie and Brian Boitano? They are excellent commentators.

I've always loved to hear Scott Hamilton because he's gracious and funny.

shdotz

S

SkateFan4Life

shdotz said:
Too many years and too much talk from Dick Button.

Remember when he said that Irena Slutzskya would have to learn something else except the Beilman?

Well, now everyone is doing the Beilman because it brings extra points.

So much for Dick Button's input. I believe that he believed what he was saying, but he was dead wrong.

How about someone who is impartial and knows skating like Paul Wylie and Brian Boitano? They are excellent commentators.

I've always loved to hear Scott Hamilton because he's gracious and funny.

shdotz

Of course, Dick Button's comment was made long before the new scoring system. Now it really does pay to have the Beillman spin in your repertoire. :biggrin:

shdotz

On the Ice
Beillman Spin

SkateFan4Life said:
Of course, Dick Button's comment was made long before the new scoring system. Now it really does pay to have the Beillman spin in your repertoire. :biggrin:

Exactly; so much for commentators who talk down rather than up.

shdotz

S

SkateFan4Life

shdotz said:

Exactly; so much for commentators who talk down rather than up.

shdotz

I still consider Dick Button to be one of the all-time master figure skating commentators. He is insightful, intelligent, passionate about skating, etc. Whatever his flaws, he is 1,000,000 times preferable than the snobby Sandra Bezic.

shdotz

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
I still consider Dick Button to be one of the all-time master figure skating commentators. He is insightful, intelligent, passionate about skating, etc. Whatever his flaws, he is 1,000,000 times preferable than the snobby Sandra Bezic.

I prefer to hear "up" statements; Dick Button doesn't distance himself with emotions. He didn't do the rigorous skates that are now required.

I'd still prefer Brian Boitano, Paul Wylie, and Scott Hamilton. They are thoroughly professional presentors; Paul Wylie is the only non-gold Olympic skater of the three; Paul is Silver. That, to me, doesn't matter, but it probably matters to others.

shdotz

S

SkateFan4Life

shdotz said:

I prefer to hear "up" statements; Dick Button doesn't distance himself with emotions. He didn't do the rigorous skates that are now required. shdotz

Of course, but Dick Button was a pioneer for his era. He was the first figure skater to perform a double axel (1948), and he was the first skater to perform a triple jump (triple loop at the 1952 Olympics). He invented the flying camel, which for a time was known as the Button Camel. Nobody could do the things he could do on skates, plain and simple. He dominated the sport for years, with seven US titles, five World title, and two Olympic gold medals.

He will always be one of my favorite commentators. :clap:

shdotz

On the Ice
Dick Button

SkateFan4Life said:
Of course, but Dick Button was a pioneer for his era. He was the first figure skater to perform a double axel (1948), and he was the first skater to perform a triple jump (triple loop at the 1952 Olympics). He invented the flying camel, which for a time was known as the Button Camel. Nobody could do the things he could do on skates, plain and simple. He dominated the sport for years, with seven US titles, five World title, and two Olympic gold medals.

He will always be one of my favorite commentators. :clap:

I'm grateful for knowing about Dick's contributions to the sport of figure skating as well as knowing that his commentating pleases you.

I'm sure Dick Button has contributed much towards this sport.

I just like to hear people like Scott Hamilton and others who find a way to explain and bolster those who are skating.

I'm glad Peggy Flemming is there to lighten the acerbic tongue of Dick Button. She is gracioius and covers well.

Better still, I prefer those who are "up" on all aspects of skating and provide enlightening commentating.

shdotz:)

S

SkateFan4Life

shdotz said:

I'm grateful for knowing about Dick's contributions to the sport of figure skating as well as knowing that his commentating pleases you.

I'm sure Dick Button has contributed much towards this sport.

I just like to hear people like Scott Hamilton and others who find a way to explain and bolster those who are skating.

I'm glad Peggy Flemming is there to lighten the acerbic tongue of Dick Button. She is gracioius and covers well.

Better still, I prefer those who are "up" on all aspects of skating and provide enlightening commentating.

shdotz:)

I'd like to see Kristi Yamaguchi take a stab at commentating at future Nationals, Worlds, and Olympics. She's a lady who can certainly relate to the pressures, the training, the competition, and the rewards (!!) that come from being the best in the world. Kristi is warm, intelligent, articulate, and I think she would make a wonderful commentator. She also has a nice sense of humor, and she isn't a snob (like HRH Sandra Bezic).

Some years ago Dorothy Hamill served as a commentator for one of those lesser-known competitions (can't remember the name). She was good, too.

S

SkateFan4Life

Bob Costas - great anchor for the Olympics -- but I think he would make a terrible figure skating commentator. IMHO, of course.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
"Personally, there are just a handful of people who qualify, and most principal is Sandra Bezic. IMHO, she comes across as an insufferable snob of the first order, arrogant, opinionated, and she just thinks she knows absolutely everything that there is to know. UGH. In Salt Lake, Ms. Bezic went ballistic over the pairs judging, and her outrage was fueled, for the most part, because two of her fellow Canadians, Sale and Pelletier, received "unfair" scores that gave them the silver medal. Make no mistake about it, if S & P had been of any other nationality, she would have said precious little. The woman was so biased for her own countrymen that it was laughable. "

I strongly disagree with this statement. All in the skating world were outraged about the unfair marks given to S&P at the Salt Lake City Olympics, not just Sandra. Yes, she is Canadian, but I am sure she would have felt the same about anyone being put in this position. I am also sure that any American commentator would take up the same outcry had it happened to an American pair or skater.

Peggy Flemming is on my list who I don't enjoy covering any skating event. Talk about syrupy and pro-American in her comments. Peggy "takes the cake" over Sandra.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
"Personally, there are just a handful of people who qualify, and most principal is Sandra Bezic. IMHO, she comes across as an insufferable snob of the first order, arrogant, opinionated, and she just thinks she knows absolutely everything that there is to know. UGH. In Salt Lake, Ms. Bezic went ballistic over the pairs judging, and her outrage was fueled, for the most part, because two of her fellow Canadians, Sale and Pelletier, received "unfair" scores that gave them the silver medal. Make no mistake about it, if S & P had been of any other nationality, she would have said precious little. The woman was so biased for her own countrymen that it was laughable. "

I strongly disagree with this statement. All in the skating world were outraged about the unfair marks given to S&P at the Salt Lake City Olympics, not just Sandra. Yes, she is Canadian, but I am sure she would have felt the same about anyone being put in this position. I am also sure that any American commentator would take up the same outcry had it happened to an American pair or skater.

I stronglfy disagree with your statement. Sandra Bezic was absolutely insufferable in Salt Lake - a snob of the first order. Frankly, I doubt that she would have gone ballistic had S & P not been Canadian. She would have expressed displeasure, but she would not have preached to the world about the injustice of the judges' decision.

As for the American commentators, sure, they may have been upset had this pair been American; however, I just can't see them acting in the same offensive manner as Sandra Bezic.

I suggest that your read the rest of the posts in this thread. There are a lot of people out there who can't stand Bezic's commentary.

Nancy just might make a good commentator!!! who is getting much media practice (and the voice has deepened).

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
I stronglfy disagree with your statement. Sandra Bezic was absolutely insufferable in Salt Lake - a snob of the first order. Frankly, I doubt that she would have gone ballistic had S & P not been Canadian. She would have expressed displeasure, but she would not have preached to the world about the injustice of the judges' decision.

As for the American commentators, sure, they may have been upset had this pair been American; however, I just can't see them acting in the same offensive manner as Sandra Bezic.

I suggest that your read the rest of the posts in this thread. There are a lot of people out there who can't stand Bezic's commentary.

The Salle/Pelletier incident seems to be a very touchy subject here at Golden Skate as it is. I am very diappointed to learn that our neighbours to the south would find it outrageous that tainted judging in any skating discipline would be questioned by anyone. I can't help but feel if this had happened to any American skater or skaters the public outcry from the US would have been like "the shot heard around the world. " Were Jamie and David from the US perhaps the sentiment here would be different, I don't know.

Sandra Bezic was not born in Canada - she immigrated with her parents from Croatia. Sandra and her brother were raised in Canada and became top pair skaters during the 1970s. Val and Sandra became quite a talented team and well represented Canada throuout the 70s.

I think everyone here is also forgetting that Sandra is probably the most remembered for helping Brian Boitano achieve his greatest goal by winning the Gold medal at the Calgary Olympics. She is credited with helping him become more artistic. Up until then Brian Boitano was not known for great artistry on the ice. My how people soon forget. I thougnt at the time it was rather unpatriotic of Sandra to be assisting an American skater, but then what do I know about the Olympics?

I don't think anyone has to worry about Sandra's participation as a commentator at this Olympics or any future events. She seems to have had enough of the skating world. Perhaps for a reason.

I don't fault Sandra for speaking out at the time. I am convinced both Dick and Peggy would had "the shoe been on the other foot." Peggy is pretty pro-American most of the time and does not seem to give much credit to skaters from other countries.

Quote:
"As for the American commentators, sure, they may have been upset had this pair been American; however, I just can't see them acting in the same offensive manner as Sandra Bezic"

It's hard to say this comment is true as this did not happen to the US. Scott Hamilton was pretty upset at the time as I recall.

The whole ugly mess could have been avoided had the French judge followed the rules in the first place. I don't see anyone here upset with the French.

Unfortunately this incident had to happen to a couple of kids from Canada - who were just there to give their best skate - which they did and were caught up in "the eye of the storm." I am sure S&P are glad the whole thing is behind them and they can get on with their lives. We are too.

Let the Games in Torino begin!!

SusanBeth

Final Flight
IcyBallerina said:
You guys must not remember Chris Schenkel:

"In Dutch, 'de Leeuw' means the lion." American Diane de Leeuw was taking advantage of dual citizenship to compete for the Netherlands.
He kept repeating the phrase over and over. I think that was the 76 Olympics. Does that phrase ring a bell?

LOL :yes: I remember that and it was the '76 games. Jim Mckay's "lonliest sport" comments used to drive me nuts!

I think any of commentors would be much more bearable if they didn't have a "partner in crime." I think putting in that second commentor, along with an announcer, makes it just about impossible to avoid overtalking, getting off topic, mindless chit chat, and other such abominations. It's like the entertainment is having conversations and joking around. The skating just provides the atmosphere.

I could tolerate any one of them with just an announcer, but Scott and Sandra together is just too much at once.

I liked Kurt. The man spoke when necessary and knew how to shut up!

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Perhaps my comments concerning Sandra Bezic are tainted by my dislike of the woman, who I consider to be an arrogant snob of the first order. Many others in GS share this opinion (i.e. the snob factor). Had Bezic not come across as a know-it-all of the first order, perhaps my reaction to HER reaction over the pairs controversy would have been subdued.

May I state that I sincerely hope that the Torino Games have fair judging - at least as fair as can be achieved, considering that the judges are human beings.

Let the Games Begin!