Retire | Golden Skate

Retire

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
After my disappointing failure at trying to pass my bronze mif test (two times), I decided to hang up my skates for the time being and take some time off. I don't feel I can acheive what the judges want in order to pass right now. My body is tired and I think taking sometime off will do it good.

I need new skates, so I have to think long and hard about continuing before I invest in another pair of skates that can cost more then $1000.

Good luck to all you adults out there (and kids too).

Skate one for me-
Donna

CDMM1991

Medalist
Sad to hear you're hanging up the skates, but I'm sure you know what's best for you. Judges and tests can be discouraging sometimes, but you just have to remember that if you come back it's not to pass a test, it's because you love to skate. ;) Sounds like you're making the decision you know is right for you, hopefully once your body permits, you will be able to return to the sport. :clap: Hope you enjoyed it while you skated, and good luck in all your future endeavours, skating or anything else.

ETA: And oh yeah, I tried my pre-novice FOUR times before I got it. (Equivalent to intermediate in the US I think) Those darn tests.

Last edited:

nicole_l

Final Flight
I hope you're able to find your way back on the ice again! And to add to CDMM, I failed 7 seperate tests more than once over the years. (It seems that the third time really is the charm :) )
Good luck in the future!

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
You shouldn't quit. Skating is beautiful, no matter what judges say! There were a lot of unfair things for me, too,but I've never taught if quitting. I, for example, can't live without it. But, if you think so...:)

megsk8z

On the Ice
Don't quit! Us old skaters need all the friends we can get!

Seriously, those MIF's can be a real bi***. And every year the judges get some new thing to pick on.

I know a person that wound up taking the European (dance) 15 (yes, that's fifteen) times before she passed it.

As a Silver, um, "lady" isn't quite the word for me, but it'll have to do, I discovered that I loved to skate, but I hated to test. So I quit testing in 1997. Now I just tell people that I'm going to be a Juvenile skater all my life. Have you considered just playing with the skates?

I wish you joy, whatever you decide to do.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi all. I forgot about this thread. I felt pretty awful after I failed the bronze mif test again. It sort of took the wind out of my sails. I still love to skate and am only taking some time off to take care of my health. I have a thyroid disease called "Hashimoto's". I have been searching for a doctor that knows how to treat thyroid disease and lucky for me I have found one in the Los Angeles area. I have a appointment next week. Once I am feeling better I am going to be back on the ice. I'm looking at maybe testing again sometime in the summer.

anything_for_skating-
you are right skating is beautiful!

cborsky

Rinkside
dlkksk8fan,

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis as well. I'm 23, but I was diagnosed with it when I was 13 and have always found it very easy to manage. I initially met with an endocrinologist to get the proper diagnosis and initial medication, but after that my family doctor made any necessary adjustments to my dosage. Once I was on the correct dosage of levothyroxine, I felt better after about a week.

Good luck with treatment, I'm sure you'll be feeling back to normal soon.:agree:

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
You are one of the lucky ones to find doctors that know what they are doing.
I have been on medication since 2001 and still trying to find that right dose. I never did good on T4 only med and am on Armour (T4 & T3).

I am going to be seeing a top Endo in the Los Angeles area. He doesn't take any insurance so he is free of the insurance bureaucracy. Doctors here in California that are part of a HMO have limited ways of taking care of thyroid disease.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
dlkksk8fan said:
Hi all. I forgot about this thread. I felt pretty awful after I failed the bronze mif test again. It sort of took the wind out of my sails. I still love to skate and am only taking some time off to take care of my health. I have a thyroid disease called "Hashimoto's". I have been searching for a doctor that knows how to treat thyroid disease and lucky for me I have found one in the Los Angeles area. I have a appointment next week. Once I am feeling better I am going to be back on the ice. I'm looking at maybe testing again sometime in the summer.

anything_for_skating-
you are right skating is beautiful!

Well, good luck next week. Anyway, how old are you? I don't really understand US tests, but doesn't matter...In our contry we have tests also. So, if you will do test again in the summer, that means you really want to do it, and, what is more important, you love to skate. When you said summer...it was so strange to me... we have ice only 6 months. Practices start at 6:30 in the morning. But I don't care. I just love it and I can't live without it , no matter how hard it was. You see? After all, I never tought of quiting. Well done if you won't, too. :clap: :clap: :clap:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm a adult skater (46 yrs old). I have ice (4 rinks close by) every day of the year. I go the the rink closest to my house (about a 20min car ride) My club holds test dates once a month, so there are plenty of times to test. I figured summer time would be a good time to try again since that will give me lots of practice time once I get back on the ice.

LateComer

Spectator
This thread is old, but I just stumbled acrossed it to say you brighted my day. I really hope you don't quit. If you love it you shouldn't. I actually went through a tough day in skating for me on friday. I failed both tests I have been working really hard on all year (and most of last year) - my rocker foxtrot and my senior bronze skills. I'm 19. I started when I was 15 and everyone is so much younger than I am. After my skills test I was pretty emotional and I was blubbering how I'm so old and how I should quit. The lady who was with me, asked me if I loved skating and I said yes. She said then "it's not an issue then, you shouldn't quit." She's right. If you love it, keep at it. Sorry, if this sound rude in anyway, but I just feel a little better that I'm not as old for figure skating as I'm thinking. Thanks for making me realize that! Boy, do I have great plans next year. I'll show those judges what I can do :)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi LateComer! Your not so old at 19 years! You have plenty of good skating years to come. Now me at 46 I'm old, but I'm still skating! I'm not going to give up, because I truely love to skate and that is what counts. I'm still working on my test, but have also been working on my jumps and spins and all seems to be going pretty good.

I have had so many people tell me how they had failed a test 2, 3, even six times before they passed. So sooner or later you will succeed!

Keep skating and working on your tests and let us know how you are doing.

LateComer

Spectator
Thanks! What tests are you working on?

I failed the European 6 times. That was the worst dance ever! Other than that I've been pretty consistant without failing or just failing once. I'm really happy I havent failed a free skate test ... yet.

But good luck. Do you skate year round? Today was my last day for the summer. But I had a good day - landed some double toes, double loops, double sow loop, and a loop double loop. It just feels so nice!

Good luck with your tests!

lindasaffell

Rinkside
#1Kerryfan said:
I've pretty much retired from skating too. I fall at every competition

Hahaha, well, I have not even reached the point of being able to test! But I am happy to see Donna is not going to totally hang those skates up, because I agree, us adult skaters need to support each other, and Donna's been an inspiration to me. You see, I am (ahem) over FIFTY. Yep, that's right, and an adult beginner too. I want very much to improve and to learn more edges and more moves and all, but frankly, I couldn't care less if I ever test or compete, if I feel like I'm learning and getting things right for me and for an instructor or coach or two. It's just some of the best fun I have, out on the ice, as well as being some great exercise too. And look at all the nice people I've "met" through the forums and our discussions.

Donna, I hope the medical challenge doesn't get you down, I hope the medical bureaucracy doesn't win (I've had my own challenges with conventional medicine, ugh), and I know we'll hear more skating news from you in the future, YAY!

:rock:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm not going to let any medical challenge get me down ( I just found out I have other autoimmune issues), I just keep on fighting and moving forward. I'm going to pass that darn mif test even if it kills me lol!! Seriously, testing is not what is important in skating for me. The testing just gives me goals and something to work on. Having fun, exercising and meeting nice people that is what I like about skating.

jazzpants

Spectator
dlkksk8fan said:
I'm still working on my adult bronze mif test. I skate year round.
So do I take it as you haven't really retired yet? Or you have taken a break and you're back on the ice again?

FWIW: I'm 38 now, have a lower back problem and have tested Bronze Moves twice and had retries. The first time I took it, I wasn't even close to passing it. The second time I took it was a year and two months later and only one judge passed me, but the general average from the other judges have improved slightly, with one judge very close to passing me.

Is third time the charm? I don't know. I'll try to arrange for that particular judge that's close to passing me (he judged me at both my Bronze MIF test attempts) to watch me do my moves unofficially. I want to know if he thinks I'm ready to test now and if not, what improvements I need, so I can figure out the extent of how much work I have to do.

sparkskater

Rinkside
LateComer said:
I failed the European 6 times. That was the worst dance ever! Other than that I've been pretty consistant without failing or just failing once. I'm really happy I havent failed a free skate test ... yet.
Good luck with your tests!

AGREED, European is a very hard dance, and I just failed it a few days ago...(of course i can't really complain cause i partnered only once in the past 6 weeks and was missing many skating sessions due to holidays and such but o well), even my coach said it's too hard a dance to be put with the other dances in the same level.