I'm in love with Dubreuil & Lauzon's free dance! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I'm in love with Dubreuil & Lauzon's free dance!

kyla2

Final Flight
Opinion

I saw them too and thought it was a very nice program. Yes, the music is schmaltzy but pretty nonetheless and they skated it well. But N&K are faster and their program is more difficult. It's a toss-up or trade off and my guess is that the judges will put N&K first. Belbin and Agosto are also wonderful but I suspect they won't do better than third without a subpar performance by the other two dance pairs.

Dyan

On the Ice
soogar said:
I keep thinking that the media (esp with Paul's gushing over that dance) want to set up some wuzrobbing for the Olympics in case B&A don't make it there. They are not going to beat Navka with that sentimental schlock. That dance isn't even good enough to medal. If B&A go to the Olympics and skate well, they are assured (with the way the scores are going ) of that second spot. 3rd will be a fight between GrushGons, C&S , DenStas (if they get their act together) , and DelShoes.

I guess my opinion of D&L's FD falls somewhere between Dee's and soogar's. I didn't really get into the film Somewhere in Time (thought it was too corny much like Ice Castles) but despite my not really being into the film I do think D&L's dance is beautiful and very subtle. It's like a cross between their "Life Is Beautiful" and "Dance With My Heart" FD's.

As for their medal chances? I know N&K aren't the most popular but D&L aren't going to beat Tatyana and Roman but I think they might be in the top five in Turin. It's at Worlds that I feel they have a chance at ending their eligible careers with a bronze.

If Tanith and Ben make it to Turino, I think they can finish with the silver. Kyla, who is the other team you feel might be placed ahead of B&A? G&G? I like them even though they are one of the unbalanced teams and their FD isn't something out of the ordinary but I'm not too sure they would beat Tanith and Ben. OF course they look more sophisticated than B&A but B&A have made improvements in looking more like a mature senior team.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
A bit off the topic...

Not too stir up a controversy, but I recall reading in a few papers following 2005 Worlds (namely, in an article kindly provided by Ptichka by Arthur Werner) that the popular consensus among the "powers that be" was that the silver medal was a "bone" of sorts given to B&A in light of them missing the Olympic games in 2006. By giving them a silver medal, and not having them present in Turino, N&K should have to face any stiff competition.

Now that it seems that B&A may end up going to Olympics after all, do they really have a chance for the podium or do they get only a top 5 spot? Do you think that their rapid rise through the ice dance ranks may have been political? Do you honestly think that they were absolutely 2nd best at Worlds?? Just wondering.

Back to the topic - if the top teams skip the worlds, there is no doubt in my mind that D&L will win at least a bronze medal. Especially if they retire following the end of the season. Location will no doubt play an important role here. Just think of Kati and Rene back in Dortmund.

Yana

BTW - please do not kill me here! I am just wondering what is going through the minds of all federations right now.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I do think Belbin/Agosto were the second best dance team in the World last year. Grushina/Goncharov did not have programs or performances to beat them last year, they were good, but their twizzles were not efficient enough, their speed not enough. Denkoyva/Stayvinski tried to pack too much difficulty in their free program, and became sloppy, with crooked lines, ragged exection of many of their elements, and unision breaks througout their programs. Delobel/
Schoenfelder were awesome in the free dance all year, and undermarked in the free dance all year, but not as strong in the other dances. I cant see who other than Navka/Kostomarov was better than Belbin/Agosto last year.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Most dance teams today imitate the former scenario while a few like (D&L; the Kerrs, and of course, T&D), go for the Astaire and Rogers method.

I prefer the latter scenario, but you can pick the former. We just have different tastes.

Joe

I agree with most of your post. So, I don't see where our tastes differ. :) I'm one of the posters who are crazy about D&L. :thumbsup:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Count me in as another one who loves this program! I've enjoyed this team for a number of years, from the time they skated to music from "Life is Beautiful." :clap:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
soogar said:
I keep thinking that the media (esp with Paul's gushing over that dance) want to set up some wuzrobbing for the Olympics in case B&A don't make it there. They are not going to beat Navka with that sentimental schlock. That dance isn't even good enough to medal. If B&A go to the Olympics and skate well, they are assured (with the way the scores are going ) of that second spot. 3rd will be a fight between GrushGons, C&S , DenStas (if they get their act together) , and DelShoes.

Don't forget even if B&A do make it to the Olympics and make the Podium - we Cannucks can still count it as a victory - Tannith may change her citizenship for the Olympics but she will always be Canadian.

Dyan

On the Ice
Saundy, Tanith is keeping her Canadian citizenship as well: she will have dual citizenship.

I remember the talk about B&A's silver being political and only because they would not be in attendance in Turin and it made me :mad: . For years people have bemoaned the fact that the American dancers have not been able to make it to the podium because of politics yet we finally get wonderful couple up there and some chose to ignore their talents and still cry politics. Besides even before the NJS B&A began making an impression on the international judges and moving up the standings. slutskayafan21, I agree that Delobel & Schoenfelder were the only team who could have placed above B&A in Moscow. That silver was well deserved.

Anyway, if that were true how would we explain the success on the GP circuit of M&Z as well? If not for their CD placement they would have won the bronze at Bompard. IMO CoP is definitely making a difference for some of the teams. They won't figure into any World or Olympic medal fights just yet.

If B&A make it to Turin I feel they will be on the podium and they will continue to be in the mix for the medals after the Olympics as well.