New boots! | Golden Skate

New boots!

Lanie

On the Ice
I forked out money for custom Harlicks today at a locally owned skate shop. After measuring my foot and taking a look at my older two pairs of Jacksons, the guy was shocked, because they were 3 1/2 B. I need a 3 1/2 D! No wonder why my poor feet were getting squashed and I couldn't do anything out there on the ice. So, I guess it's worth it, since I really do neeeed to get back into skating (especially now that I can finally drive). So I'm excited. I should get them in late January, just in time for my 20th birthday! :rock:

I might have to get new blades, though; I have Coronation Aces and I don't know if they'll fit the Harlicks. Anyone recommend some blades?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Lanie-
Hope your boots work out for you. I'm thinking of getting custom boots too, but as of now I'm taking some time off from skating.

mskater93

Record Breaker
What are you working on? That tends to help when asking for a blade recommendation...

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Properly-fitted boots are always worth it, no guessing about it! I went from Wal-Mart $40 specials that were two sizes too large to accomodate my wide feet and so lacking in support the sharpener wouldn't do them very sharp because he was afraid I wouldn't be able to stay up on a deep edge, to semi-custom Jackson Elites. My skate-fitter surprised me by first telling me I needed a size seven, then by informing me that while I do have a wide ball of the foot, my HEEL is actually a B, two widths smaller, and my arches are not only very high but about a 1/4" narrower around than they 'should' be. That actually explains an awful lot about my inability to find street shoes that fit.

On blades--the Coronation Aces are nice. It depends on what you're doing, though--if freestyle, I'd stick with what you know, if you're happy with them, and order a new pair if your old ones don't fit your new boots.

Are your Harlicks heat-fitted? That was one thing I really liked about the Jacksons, that and the notches for more ankle flex. The heat-fitting saved me on some break-in time, I think. Definitely molded to my feet.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
It probably depends on what you are doing like everyone says.Personally i have MK Phantoms,which are really good blades but are freakin expensive if you don't get them on sale.

Lanie

On the Ice
I've been skating on and off. My problem is -- I was gonna start the Axel when I quit because I was just having too many boot issues (as well as staying after school to study for the academic decathlon; there went my ice time!), so it was like, totally not worth it. I'm gonna pretty much start again from scratch so to speak since I've lost all my jumps except the flip and Lutz, but everyone's telling me I should get them back in one session. We'll see how that goes!

I think you can indeed heat-ft the Harlicks but I dunno if I'll need to or not. I've gone through Jackson Elite and Jackson Freestyle... they're in pretty good shape, and I really need to sell those suckers because I hurt so bad I couldn't even break them in! Same with my Riedells. (I've wasted SO much money... Arg!)

I've got Coronation Ace K-picks... I put that on the form, but if I have to get new blades, I will. Just am looking around for recs from people here who know more about blades than I do! :)

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I believe the new Harlicks can be heat molded (my skate sharpener offered when he mounted my blades although they were fitted so well, I didn't need it). If your boot fitter was really good, you may not need it.

For blades, if you liked your Coronation Aces, stick with them or get a new pair. If you didn't like them, consider the Vision/Vantage (I forget what the newer name is) which is the MK equivalent (one step down from a Phantom and about $60 cheaper or so).

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Skatergirlaj was right, I think that Phantom is really the best blades. But, I saw a girl that bought blades simmilar to Phantom, maybe some new model, but My God, ahe payed a lot for them.
BTW, my coach always says that Phantom is the best.
:thumbsup: