Kurt's Gotta Dance from Toronto | Golden Skate

Kurt's Gotta Dance from Toronto

What a professional show!! Even the not so inspiring numbers come across better than other shows of the same ilk.

This sort of thing should help Carolina become a better skater.
Sylvia is just so beautiful. John was lucky.

Bocelli and the New Zealand gal in fine voice.

The usual crowd all true pros. Stoiko a little bit too spanish for italian. Cousins becoming quite the debonair. Shae Lynnn can do no wrong. I didn't miss her triiple lutz or her bielman spin. That Chair!!!

And then there's Kurt. What more can you want? On a scale of 10 I rate the entire Gotta Skate as a 9.9.:clap:

Joe

76olympics

On the Ice
Bravo!

Joe, I liked this VERY much too. It was very classy and professionally done. I didn't even mind the shills for the sponsors! I like both those singers-so that increased my enjoyment. Also they didn't cut away to the singers as much as some other specials have (though I always think it could be less, of course).

I am so impressed with Yuka Sato--mastering those pairs moves as she has. That takes so much virtuosity and labor. I love watching her and Jason. Their interaction is so sweet. Actually, all of the routines were fun to watch for me. I am not a big Elvis fan (I feel a little bit like Toller about him. LOL!). But-that operatic tongue in cheek number was probably the most I have liked him. He did it very well.

Kurt-what can I say. He makes everything look effortless. His jumps are seamless. He can do humorous. He can do sexy. He can do dramatic. He is the best advertisement I can think of for a show!

Last edited:

ikfan

Rinkside
Gotta skate

That just might have been the best Gotta Skate yet! :clap:
It seemed the audience was kinda sparse. I had always thought Canadians would fill the seats for ice skating.

jesslily

Final Flight
I need a new pair of glasses for sure. I saw all the seats were taken by grannies and grandpas. If B&S and Todd Eldrige were their, the show would be much fuller.

Dyan

On the Ice
:laugh: I don't quite agree that Shae-Lynn can do no wrong as I really disliked that Chicago number.

BUT I did like (alot) the number to La Cumparisita though I was let down that the number she did to "Caruso" was cut from the broadcast. I have to admit that Mrs. Morosov was pretty good in Kurt's show. I was surprised that it was a Disson produced show as I usually don't care for the format of those shows.

Silvia is gorgeous and looks in great shape; I loved the number she did with Andrea Bocelli but again was let down that we didn't get to see her short. I guess NBC had to fit in the commercials and little fluff segments in between numbers.

Yuka and Jason were beautiful to watch as well.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I haven't watched the entire show yet (taped it because I had plans tonight)but I have liked what I've seen so far. Kurt just gets better and better with this show each year. Good for him! And I LOVED Jamie & David's programs but that probably doesn't surprise anyone here, LOL :laugh:

And for the record, this was taped on a random Tuesday night in the middle of October so that could have contributed to the sparseness in the crowd. A friend of mine who went said that the crowd was very loud and appreciative though, even if it wasn't as full as shows in Canada usually are up there. :agree:

backspin

On the Ice
Best part for me: Elvis couldn't sing along w/ the Italian lyrics!! :rofl:

Wish they'd split screen when they show the singers, but I agree it was better than before. Last year I actually turned it off because I couldn't stand the camera work any more.

That's one show I'd dearly love to see in person. They don't tour with it, right--it's just a one-off?

Teenes

On the Ice
Yup, just a one-off. For four out of five years, though, it's always been in Hamilton or Toronto in October, so it's pretty easy to predict and plan for =). Well, except this year when it suddenly went to Toronto on a weekday night instead of Hamilton on a weekend night.

The crowd was actually bigger than the usual skating crowd these days, because of Andrea Bocelli, I think. But they always have to keep the whole area around the cameras at center ice empty, b/c the cameras block part of the view of the ice (I say as someone who's had her seat moved twice now for that reason, and started buying tickets further up in the stands to avoid the camera). Plus, the arena was quite a bit bigger than the ones that the pro events usually take place in these days. So that gives the impression of lots of empty seats when in reality, IIRC the lower bowl was pretty much filled.

As I understand it, Brian Orser deserves a lot of credit for the group choreography of this Gotta Skate, though of course Lea Ann Miller was also involved.

ildah

Rinkside
I wondered where the person got the idea that Gotta Skate had sparse attendance. It was at the Air Canada Centre and the crowd was very large, much larger than usual.