Is Irina Really A Nice Person? | Golden Skate

Is Irina Really A Nice Person?

Kwan101

Rinkside
I was google searching for old articles on Michelle when I found this one that mentions Michelle and Irina but mainly deals with Irina. I was stunned by what a nasty person Irina seemed like in this article- I've always liked her in addition to Michelle. But it's hard to think that in light of this article.:

TITLE: She's Gotta Have It
SOURCE: Sports Illustrated 96 no5 128-33 F 4 2002

Sports Illustrated material herein Copyright Time Inc. All rights reserved. To contact the publisher: http://www.aoltimewarner.com/about/companies/timeinc.html

The smell of diesel fuel hangs over the ice at Moscow's Young Pioneers training center, a gray, windowless building that calls to mind the bleakness of the Stalin-era Soviet Union. At the door an old man with jaundiced skin sits at his desk watching as mothers deliver their children to this mid-November morning practice. The lighting is poor, the ice uneven, the air bitter cold. One of the coaches is smoking at rinkside, a few feet from a NO SMOKING sign. At the center of this cheerless scene seven young skaters, hoping to be future champions, wordlessly circle the ice.
An eighth skater, Irina Slutskaya, joins them, and suddenly a ripple of energy dispels the gloom. Gregarious and chatty, she shares a word with the first two girls she passes, making them laugh. Her manner is gleeful, puckish. Her distinctively red cheeks are so brightly flushed they look painted. Her eyes shine as she turns backward to begin her crossovers, and she quickly gains startling speed.
The 22-year-old Slutskaya has the ability to light up a room. Judges take note of it when she competes, you'd have to be blind not to, and audiences come to their feet in appreciation. She makes the arena feel fun and alive. Slutskaya may not be as graceful as her 21-year-old American rival, four-time world champion Michelle Kwan, but she's more athletic, more expressive and a lot more entertaining. Though she has never won a world championship--three times she's finished second to Kwan, and in 1996 she took bronze while Kwan won gold--Slutskaya has beaten Kwan six times in the last two years and, having improved her artistic presentation over the summer, is 3-0 against Kwan since September. That's why a lot of skating experts believe the dynamic Russian, not the elegant Yank, will explode to gold in Salt Lake City.
Win or lose, explode is the right word. Slutskaya is a firecracker. This becomes clear midway through the practice when she starts to struggle with her triple Salchow-triple loop-double toe combination, a breathtaking trio of jumps that she unveiled during the 2000-01 season. No other woman has landed one in competition, and no one will land it today. Because the temperature in the rink is so cold, the ice in the Young Pioneer Training Center is too hard to effectively plant a toe pick. Still, Slutskaya tries. Two times in a row she builds up speed only to have to stop to avoid a 10-year-old who's practicing her program. It's an unwritten rule of skaters that whoever's music is playing, as the young girl's is at the time of the near collisions, has the right-of-way. Still, on Slutskaya's home rink she sets the rules. "Stop the music!" she yells at the child's coach.
Almost instantly it stops. The 10-year-old, pale as death, tries to disappear into her own silent horror, while the other skaters drift nervously toward the boards to give Slutskaya a wide berth. Slutskaya's coach, Zhanna Gromova, says nothing. She's coached Slutskaya for 16 years and is used to her willful ways. Screaming at each other is normal. Slutskaya circles the ice, recomposing herself en route, and tries the jump. When she falls, the assemblage braces for another eruption, but instead Slutskaya slaps the ice once in frustration, rolls onto her back and lets out a belly laugh. The tension is broken.
She isn't done exploding, though. There's the matter of the granite-hard ice, and after practice Slutskaya makes a point of removing her skates near the old man at the desk, who doubles as the rink manager. He gets an earful. Too hard. Too cold. How can she land doubles, never mind triples, on such a surface? Her voice rises as she warms to the scolding, and the man, his yellow face pinched, finally rises and walks away.
Asked about these incidents while she drives home through the jammed streets of Moscow with the panache of a New York City taxi driver, Slutskaya is unapologetic and slightly bemused. "This is nothing," she says in her self-taught English. Grinning mischievously, she tells the story of her battle with a 15-year-old boy who skates in her group. A promising youngster who moved to Moscow to train with Slutskaya's coach, the boy recently had the cheek to practice a jump at the very spot on the ice that Slutskaya had selected for her takeoff point. His violent picks were ruining the ice. "What do you think you are doing?" the 5'3" Slutskaya recalls saying to the larger boy while punching him in the chest. "I'm the star here, not you. You're nothing, a piece of s---," she continued, punching him twice more. The boy skated off in tears. "Oh well," she shrugs. "I'm a fighter. I fight for things my whole life."

soogar

Record Breaker
HEHEHEHEH Those kids are really obnoxious anyway. At least Irina can pull rank on them!

Kwan101

Rinkside
"The page has been removed. Sure would have liked to see it."

Use google cache- it has it. Just search google for unique phrases in the article and then hit "cache."

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Yes, Irina is nice. She's taken the time to do interviews with me via phone from Russia when sick, when it's a day or two before a championship, when she's on tour, etc. Some top ladies would never do that - especially those 'coddled' in the US. But not Irina - she's tough.

And she's got balls. If she didn't she wouldn't be competing as a leader at the Olympics at the ripe age of (by February) 27. Cute story - thanks for posting it.

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
Kwan101 said:
I was google searching for old articles on Michelle when I found this one that mentions Michelle and Irina but mainly deals with Irina. I was stunned by what a nasty person Irina seemed like in this article

I'm sure that she's tough as nails, because if she wasn't, she wouldn't have gotten where she has. So is every other medal contender, so that's sort of a non-statement.
Second, there's also the cultural element. Even assuming the reporter is accurate (a big assumption) I wouldn't read too much into descriptions of her behavior when she's in Russia because neither you nor I know enough about Russian ways to properly interpret that behavior correctly. I will say that in my experience in Central/Eastern Europe (though I haven't been to Russia), strongly assertive behavior is not considered rude and the best defense is a good offense.

Kwan101

Rinkside
Mafke said:
I'm sure that she's tough as nails, because if she wasn't, she wouldn't have gotten where she has. So is every other medal contender, so that's sort of a non-statement.
Second, there's also the cultural element. Even assuming the reporter is accurate (a big assumption) I wouldn't read too much into descriptions of her behavior when she's in Russia because neither you nor I know enough about Russian ways to properly interpret that behavior correctly. I will say that in my experience in Central/Eastern Europe (though I haven't been to Russia), strongly assertive behavior is not considered rude and the best defense is a good offense.

The only part that really bothered me was where she made the younger boy cry saying "I'm the star here, you're nothing." He was Russian too, and he was crying so I doubt it was a cultural thing. I'd always thought Irina was down to earth and didn't have the superiority complex so many of the ice princess-types have. And maybe she is a nice person- the article showed another side to her though.

Mafke

Medalist
Kwan101 said:
The only part that really bothered me was where she made the younger boy cry saying "I'm the star here, you're nothing." He was Russian too, and he was crying so I doubt it was a cultural thing.

But it could be. I can easily think of two possible scenarios:

1. I'd say a 15 year old Russian skater (male or female) who can be made to cry by a few words needs to either toughen up or find something else to do. Either way, she was performing a valuable service for him. Being "nice" to him would be cruel.

2. In cultures where people express emotions freely (IME Russians have BIG emotions and readily share them with others) tears aren't necessarily a big deal, they can come quickly and don't count for as much.

I don't know if either of these scenarios is the case. I'd like to hear how Russian people interpret her behavior. That would be a lot more valuable (and interesting) than non-Russians reading things into her behavior.

I remember the little tempest in a teacup that this article kicked up on the pro-Michelle boards a few years ago when it first was published. Whatever.

curious

Final Flight
and those who want to see her bad side only are going to search endlessly for anything just to make Irina look bad:biggrin:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I think she is a nice person, but I don't know her in person(same for Michelle and Sasha as well). I agree with the poster who said that Russian culture and society may have a lot to do with her behavior in this article, and even so there is still no guarantee that any of it is true to begin with.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
*~RussianBleux~* said:
... I agree with the poster who said that Russian culture and society may have a lot to do with her behavior in this article, and even so there is still no guarantee that any of it is true to begin with.

I don't know. I see all the time people doubting what quotes writers attribute to skaters or saying that perhaps the skater was misquoted, etc. - especially on the Russian skating boards - they tend to right away assume a lot of material is 'yellow journalism.' Truth is - 90% of the great stuff gets cut - either by the skater who says, 'Now - that's OFF the record' or by the editors at magazines and newspapers who are afraid to offend someone (being talked negatively about) because then they might lose a future interview, face a lawsuit - or just don't want to deal with an angry phone call from a publisher.

So, the 'truth' is, LOL, it's nearly impossible to 'get the truth' out there and instead what readers get is an extremely white-washed and watered-down version of reality, with none of the rough edges exposed. Not exactly a tragedy - after all, this isn't politics where we need to shine the harsh light of truth on things. But, with skating's sinking popularity, one can't help but imagine that if the authentic personalities of the sport were allowed to shine through (ala David Beckham, Lance Armstrong, etc., etc.) that perhaps the public would find skating - and skaters - more interesting.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grinning mischievously, she tells the story of her battle with a 15-year-old boy who skates in her group. A promising youngster who moved to Moscow to train with Slutskaya's coach, the boy recently had the cheek to practice a jump at the very spot on the ice that Slutskaya had selected for her takeoff point. His violent picks were ruining the ice. "What do you think you are doing?" the 5'3" Slutskaya recalls saying to the larger boy while punching him in the chest. "I'm the star here, not you. You're nothing, a piece of s---," she continued, punching him twice more. The boy skated off in tears. "Oh well," she shrugs. "I'm a fighter. I fight for things my whole life."

Punching someone in the chest and calling them a piece of %$!# seems rude in any culture or language. If an adult dared to lay their hands on my child (15 y/o boy or not) like that, I would definitely file assault charges. IMO this is not a story to be proud of.

soogar

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Punching someone in the chest and calling them a piece of %$!# seems rude in any culture or language. If an adult dared to lay their hands on my child (15 y/o boy or not) like that, I would definitely file assault charges. IMO this is not a story to be proud of.

C'mon, she was "grinning mischievously" as she was telling that story. I don't think Irina gave him a full on punch in the chest. She might have given him a light punch, like the way a ***** nips her puppies when they get out of line. Either way, I thought it was a cute story and according to a poster on FSU, that little 15 year old snot was Sergei Dobrin. I think he recovered from that horrible incident.

kyla2

Final Flight
Irina

Irina is like everyone else- good days and bad days. I think she is essentially a nice person and she is definitely a strong person. What she has done for her mother is wonderful. She has stayed competitive so she can pay her mother's medical bills and help pay for a transplant. I think there is a great deal to admire about Irina. This is an old article and not worth rehashing. I also agree that alot is lost in translation.

millie

Medalist
You can't judge if a person is nice or not until you meet them personally and then judge them for yourself. You can't go on hearsay from some article or from someone that is bias. Until I meet Irina personally, I can't say if she is nice or not.:)

IDLERACER

Medalist
the 5'3" Slutskaya recalls saying to the larger boy while punching him in the chest.
I wonder if they measured her while she was wearing skates. Michelle Kwan is only 5'2, and clearly taller than her. Click HERE