Ice Diaries on TLC | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice Diaries on TLC

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Spirit said:
Maybe so, but these examples would support the idea that he is, at worst, non-supportive, or just clueless about dealing with people, which is not the same thing as being abusive.

Abusive is a serious word which shouldn't be tossed around lightly, and emotional abuse should be used to describe coaches who make their athletes ashamed of themselves, such as convincing them that they're worthless or constantly shaming them about their appearance or who they are.

I saw Tom do nothing on the TV screen that even approached something which could be called abusive. Nagging someone doesn't qualify.

In my first post, I said, "borderline abusive". i didn't mean all out abusive. :)

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Does anyone know if they will continue this program after the olympic season? i would be really interesting to see what happens to the up and comers AFTER this season as it is likely that MK and potentiallys sasha (she has not said this, its just my feeling) will retire. it will really change the face of us skating to have MK gone.

Lets write letters to tlc and tell them we like it and that watching has made us interested in other shows on the network.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Liz-I hope they do. Its a really interesting show. If they got Sasha or maybe one of our american guys on there like Evan, Matt, or Johnny, they could get higher ratings. Or even some young pairs teams, working their way up.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Did anybody watch tonight? It was the first time I saw any of Alissa's skating from the GP Final. All I can say about her fall in the LP is ouch!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I recorded it, and am about to watch it. If you missed it, and don't mind putting quality on the back burner (and unfortunately getting the whole program with commercials in it) I can make a "quick vid". Let me know before I delete the movie.

Lanie

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
I recorded it, and am about to watch it. If you missed it, and don't mind putting quality on the back burner (and unfortunately getting the whole program with commercials in it) I can make a "quick vid". Let me know before I delete the movie.

If you do that I will worship you! :D I didn't catch it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, damn, I hope you have a high-speed connection because this file is going to be BIG. (298MB to be exact)

I'll see if I can upload it. The frame rate is reduced, but it's high-quality video. It's the "Quickvid" setting on my PVR :biggrin: encodes a one-hour file in less than 10 minutes...just wish that the files weren't so BIG...

Lanie

On the Ice
Thank God for DSL, right? Ha ha.

I really need to get myself some video capturing device and just do all this myself... haha. You're awesome, RD. Thank ya. :rock:

Longhornliz said:
Does anyone know if they will continue this program after the olympic season? i would be really interesting to see what happens to the up and comers AFTER this season as it is likely that MK and potentiallys sasha (she has not said this, its just my feeling) will retire. it will really change the face of us skating to have MK gone.

Lets write letters to tlc and tell them we like it and that watching has made us interested in other shows on the network.
To be honest, I prefer watching this show much more than watching COI or SOI.
I am not interested in exhibition skating all that much. I love the sport and this show demonstrates the work skater's go through. It's like visiting a rink during practice session.

I wouldn't mind a continuation of the 4 talented ladies we have been watching and it would be even better if they put in an additional 4.

I don't think we have to critique the falls. That's what the coach is there for. What we can be looking for is the overall progress the skaters make.

By all means congratulate the network on presenting this program.

Joe.

Last edited:

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I don't think we have to critique the falls. That's what the coach is there for. What we can be looking for is the overfall progress the skaters make.

Yeah, thanks for the tip. I wasn't "critiquing" her. It was an observation, not criticism. Alissa even said herself that she usually doesn't fall that hard, so I don't know why you seem to be taking it so personally.:scowl:

My post was not intended for you. I understood exactly what you were pointing out. My post was just a general statement on critiquing all the skaters. I just don't think it is necessary to put in negative comments when the show is all about what a skater has to go through.

In the case of Alissa's bad fall, I think we all or we should have noticed how hard it was. I would have added, in spite of that fall, she got up and continued.

I have great respect for all skaters.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I actually watched Ice Diaries last night for the first time, and really enjoyed it. It is very interesting to see how many things go into the making of one performance. I've always known how hard these kids work, but seeing it somehow makes it even that more impressive, IMO.

Looking forward to the next episode. :yes:

LBC

On the Ice
This has been an interesting series. We just see them at the competition and not all the behind the scene things that happen. Next week should be interesting. We will see the heartbreak of not making the olympic team.

R.D.

Record Breaker
hey all,

ran into some complications with file hosting. I'm making a much smaller video now that I will upload soon. This one will have the commercials edited out.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
FYI, TLC moved up the final episode of Ice Diaries, "Going for the Gold" (#6), from its regular Friday slot to last night (Wed. 8 pm and 11 pm rebroadcast) without warning, and so I missed it. :( It's no longer listed online at TLC for Friday 10 pm/Sat. 1 am Eastern or on TIVO. Here's the link to an online form to request a re-broadcast of the last episode (I just sent one in myself):
http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Sylvia said:
FYI, TLC moved up the final episode of Ice Diaries, "Going for the Gold" (#6), from its regular Friday slot to last night (Wed. 8 pm and 11 pm rebroadcast) without warning, and so I missed it. :( It's no longer listed online at TLC for Friday 10 pm/Sat. 1 am Eastern or on TIVO. Here's the link to an online form to request a re-broadcast of the last episode (I just sent one in myself):
http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

Ugh! This isn't very nice! Thanks for the heads-up. I would have planted myself in front of the TV tomorrow night and then wondered what the deal was. At least now I know. Still, not very nice TLC!

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't know..... It's still showing up on my TiVO for Friday night at it's usual time and my updates are up-to-date.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
heyang said:
I don't know..... It's still showing up on my TiVO for Friday night at it's usual time and my updates are up-to-date.

I just looked at my TV listings and it definitely isn't looking good. "Miami Ink" is slotted in the spot instead. :cry: