Breakback Mountain | Golden Skate

Breakback Mountain

sk8addict

On the Ice
What an amazing film. Wonderful performaces & bound to get awards. Some of the best camera work ever done. A realistic story of the early 60s. :agree: :agree: :agree: Who has seen it?

fscric

On the Ice
Do you mean Brokeback Mountain?

I would really like to watch it but it seems it will not be shown in Hong Kong, so I'll have to wait for DVD.

sk8addict

On the Ice
Brokeback

sk8addict said:
What an amazing film. Wonderful performaces & bound to get awards. Some of the best camera work ever done. A realistic story of the early 60s. :agree: :agree: :agree: Who has seen it?
Yes I meant Brokeback. Can you tell i'm dyslexic?:love::biggrin: Sorry you'll have to wait. It is worth waiting for though.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Since there's no chance of it coming to the Bible Belt:cry: I'll have to wait for the video. But I'm listening to the soundtrack now and loving it.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I can't stand the writer who wrote it (for why read the brilliant "A Reader's Manifesto") hence, not seeing it (even if 'movie' means 'not having to slog through her sentences'.) But no doubt it will win Oscars, for the content/plot alone. Plus timing--it came out late enough it's not going to slip voters' minds.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
julietvalcouer said:
I can't stand the writer who wrote it (for why read the brilliant "A Reader's Manifesto") hence, not seeing it (even if 'movie' means 'not having to slog through her sentences'.) But no doubt it will win Oscars, for the content/plot alone. Plus timing--it came out late enough it's not going to slip voters' minds.

I haven't read the book yet. I tend to read the book after I see the film.

As for the timing, I think two things: as you mentioned, the Oscars and also it's the holidays and this is a love story. People feel all mushy around the holidays and may want to see a love story more this time of year. JMO.

dfj

On the Ice
childfreegirl said:
People feel all mushy around the holidays and may want to see a love story more this time of year.

I would think the last thing this film is is a mushy love story.

nicole_l

Final Flight
It's still not out where I live. :disapp: So I'll have to wait another week or two until I can see it, can't wait! I've been a Heath Ledger fan since 1999, so it would be awesome to see him win an Oscar.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
dfj said:
I would think the last thing this film is is a mushy love story.

Not mushy, but a love story anyway. Something to pull the heartsrings. That's a better way of putting it.

You'd never know I have a comm degree would ya?

finally got to see it. It's definitely a 3box kleenex last half hour ending. You have to give credit to all concerned including the cinephotographer hitting on those Montana mountains.

Joe

sk8addict

On the Ice
Oscar

nicole_l said:
It's still not out where I live. :disapp: So I'll have to wait another week or two until I can see it, can't wait! I've been a Heath Ledger fan since 1999, so it would be awesome to see him win an Oscar.
I think you are correct in your prediction. Heath is due the Oscar.:agree: :agree: :agree:

sk8addict

On the Ice
Mountains

Joesitz said:
finally got to see it. It's definitely a 3box kleenex last half hour ending. You have to give credit to all concerned including the cinephotographer hitting on those Montana mountains.

Joe
The film was all shot in Calgary. Just meant to be in the U S. Makes me want to go to Canada!

Buzzz

Final Flight
Just came back from seeing Casanova. Nice movie and starring the same person and in the next screen guess what they were showing? LOL

sk8addict said:
The film was all shot in Calgary. Just meant to be in the U S. Makes me want to go to Canada!
Thanks for the correction. I knew it wasn't filmed in Wyoming where the story takes place. BTW. Is Calgary north of Montana? Where did I get the Montana connection?

Joe

Antilles

Medalist
I saw this film today. Strangely it was me and a lot of people with white hair in the theatre. The film was good, but I found it a little slow, and the end kinf of petered out. The acting was wonderful, though.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Calgary is definitely north of Montana, Joe. Great city & Alberta is a great province to visit. I, however, can look out of most of the windows in my house & see the Mission Mountains in NW Montana. Not as spectacular as the Rockies but very pretty when the sun decides to shine on the snow caps!!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I saw Brokeback last night. I still have different emotions about the film. Although, I do think story was given the respect it deserves. Heath Ledger was amazing giving his character (Ennis Delmar) so much feeling. I thought the film was somewhat dry in spots. I do understand why it was acted and filmed the way it was being in the 63-83 time frame. I thought the cinemaphtography was brilliant. The pure, cool landscapes gave the film a beautiful tone. It was a calm and quiet film to watch and it was fitting to the love story of its time. I believe that the film will open peoples hearts and minds in todays society..