Johnny Weir: Pre-Nats Interview | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir: Pre-Nats Interview

Jasper

Final Flight
Awesome interview, thanks for posting! It actually gave me a new sort of respect for Johnny. He didn't sound as whiny as he did in some past interviews in which he's dissed all the skaters and the system entirely. I still don't like his attitude at times, but hey, that's just Johnny!

What I find interesting is how closely he's followed and watched the male skaters this season... so much for never watching them because they're boring, eh?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
strong shot? I think that's yet to be seen

my computer is being poopy and won't open any link from GS today... I think it's time to reboot lol

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Super great interview!! I love Johnny. :love: :love: Loved this comment:
I don't want to be the sub-par whiny skater I've been all season.
It seems like he put lots of things into perspective like his program and the changes. He has so much respect for Tatianna.

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One think I've always liked about JW is he doesn't diss his competitors. But it's obvious that he's been reading the negative things people say about him on the boards, and sometimes it gets to him. He should realize that some of the worst things are said about the best skaters!

mzheng

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
One think I've always liked about JW is he doesn't diss his competitors. But it's obvious that he's been reading the negative things people say about him on the boards, and sometimes it gets to him. He should realize that some of the worst things are said about the best skaters!
Good thing for him going is sounds like he is a strong minded one. So when he does read the negative things about him, it won't affect him too much. Otherwise he should've just stay out of internet altogether.....some how I feel he might give the best of him in Olympics this season.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Hi guys - actually, I don't think Johnny spends a lot of time reading what people say about him online, especially if he suspects it's going to be negative. He's all about surrounding himself with positive energy.

It took me aback to initially learn that some of the top skaters, coaches, etc. rarely read the internet - and yet - there are others that literally log on almost every day to see what the 'general' consensus is although they tend to 'skim' to get more of just a flavor if what's being posted is good or bad.

Nikolai Morozov, for instance, (unless he got one from Santa, LOL) doesn't even HAVE a computer.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Johnny Weir expresses disappointment in U.S. Ladies, Judging (from GS article)

(ETA by me: the comments are on the second page, near the bottom.)

So what's your take on this? I happen to agree with him on the US Ladies- this could be a first. There really is a strong possibility that the US may not win any Olympic medals in that event. I also think his comments on Cohen's freeskate echo what so many people here (and Paul Wylie) have been saying, as well as his comments about Cop taking away the "beauty" in skating. But since Mao also beat Irina, will that quiet that particular crowd? I suppose we'll see. It's either boom or bust from here on out.

It's nice to have someone tell it like it is. You go, Johnny.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
I love Johnny's skating, but he gets on my nerves at times.
Maybe instead of being disappointed with the ladies, he could actually do something to help the men. They have hardly had a stellar season thus far. And I would be willing to bet right here and now, that the ladies will do better than the men at the Olympics.
Plus, his comment about Michelle is rather ridiculous. Obviously it would have been better for her to be out there competing this season, but she was injured ... you know ... as in hurt ... unable to skate. That's not really hard to understand.
I guess she could have given it a try anyway ... she could always stop in the middle of the program if things got too difficult ... just like he did at Nats in Dallas.

JOHNNY IS AT HIS BEST IN THIS 3 PAGE ARTICLE: BITING; SARCASTI C AND IMPERVIOUS TO CRITICISM. He's on of a kind. I can't help but think this will revert back on him.

Joe

blackrose050

Rinkside
nymkfan51 said:
I love Johnny's skating, but he gets on my nerves at times.
Maybe instead of being disappointed with the ladies, he could actually do something to help the men. They have hardly had a stellar season thus far. And I would be willing to bet right here and now, that the ladies will do better than the men at the Olympics.
Plus, his comment about Michelle is rather ridiculous. Obviously it would have been better for her to be out there competing this season, but she was injured ... you know ... as in hurt ... unable to skate. That's not really hard to understand.
I guess she could have given it a try anyway ... she could always stop in the middle of the program if things got too difficult ... just like he did at Nats in Dallas.

I agree about the Michelle comment; that was a bit thoughtless of him. I don't know much about her injury but from what I understand, she could not possibly have skated with it.

Even though I can't agree with everything he says, I really do respect him for being so honest. I hope he finally gets it together for Nationals.

R.D.

Record Breaker
One has to remember that he was ASKED what he was disappointed with. And like an honest, refreshing personality would respond, he gave it his best shot.

If he had just brought it up out of THIN AIR, then I might agree with some of the posters who say he's "full of it". But he was asked QUESTIONS. He's simply responding to them.

I think he is a free thinker as he should be. To express himself publicly is up to him. I am sure that interview will be read by many people in the halls of figure skating. Kathleen Bangs is a respected skating reporter. Many of those statements will please some skating officials and irk other skating officials. It is possible that his outspokeness will backfire on him.

IMO, he must skate perfectly in every competition that he enters.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog, what difference does it make that he was asked what he was disappointed with, versus just bringing it up himself?
The question is, how are you disapponted with someone for not competing because they were injured ... instead of being disappointed for someone that was unable to compete?

And he goes on to say they should just stop talking about it and get out there and skate. Huh?
This is quite ironic coming from someone who made a total jerk of himself in Dallas in '03. Maybe he's the one who should just shut up and skate! :sheesh:

new_europe2006

Rinkside
Johnny just showed himself in the interview to be a complete hypocrite. I lost all my respect for him after that interview.

He says he's disappointed with the US ladies yet the US men haven't fared too well either. He also says that Michelle should've competed in the Grand Prix series even though she's been injured and yet he didn't compete in the Grand Prix Final with an injury.

I'll be rooting against him during Nationals, Olympics, and Worlds for the rest of the season.

kyla2

Final Flight
About Michelle

I think his comments about Michelle were completely inappropriate and show a lack of empathy, which is pretty shabby on his part. If anyone wishes she could have competed, it is Michelle. Talk about heaping insult upon injury. I am really surprised at him.

new_europe2006 said:
I'll be rooting against him during Nationals, Olympics, and Worlds for the rest of the season.
A fan turned off by Johnny's comments about his colleagues! Is this the beginning of others being turned off?

Can you imagine Evan Lysacek commenting on skaters that aren't even his competitors? No real sportsman in any sports would act that way. It's in bad taste and I accept that from Johnny. He's into bad taste.

I'm still wondering what the judges will think when he skates? If there is any doubt about a score, wil he get the benefit? Just wondering.

Joe

blackrose050

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
A fan turned off by Johnny's comments about his colleagues! Is this the beginning of others being turned off?

Can you imagine Evan Lysacek commenting on skaters that aren't even his competitors? No real sportsman in any sports would act that way. It's in bad taste and I accept that from Johnny. He's into bad taste.

I'm still wondering what the judges will think when he skates? If there is any doubt about a score, wil he get the benefit? Just wondering.

Joe

I don't see ANY reason to bring Evan into this discussion, seeing as there was no mention of Evan in the interview. Unless you are Evan, or know him personally, you don't know how he would act.

Johnny isn't the only one with these opinions; he is the one that's open about it. He has every right to say what he wants. Maybe he'll pay for it, maybe he won't. I like his, "If I have something to say, I'll say it to your face" attitude. Maybe it is in bad taste, but I appreciate the honesty (whether or not I agree with his comments).

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Joe
Well, this is one fan that has been turned off. I no longer find his "honesty" refreshing. I find him a bit too full of himself. While I never root against any athlete, I certainly will not be rooting for him.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Well I take hbis opinions with a grain of salt because they are known to change especially if they affect him like COP's