Australia: One spot, Two skaters = One unhappy lady | Golden Skate

Australia: One spot, Two skaters = One unhappy lady

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
Crud for Miriam but good for Joanne! LOL! Both ladies are talented I hope Miriam is handling this well... ;)

KBell

Rinkside
Can't say I agree w/her applealing but to each her own. The way I understood it she got the Worlds assignment and Jo Carter got the Olympics - Much the same way Japan chose their teams IMHO. When you only have one spot and 2 big events coming up this sounds like the only fair way to handle the issue - again IMHO.

I do have empathy for those countries like AU who typically don't qualify enought skaters at international events to get more than one berth for World's and Olympics. Here's hoping Figure Skating contiunes to take hold down under and maybe they can get more berth's in the future!:clap:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Um -- wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to wait until the upcoming 4C's this month to see which of Manzano and Carter do better? They're gonna look pretty damn silly if Manzano ends up on the podium and Carter finishes 10th or something. (They'd look even sillier if the #3 Australian lady, whoever she is, turns out to be the big hit of the competition, tho, no offense toward Australian skating intended, I wouldn't exactly bet on it. But still....)

skating_nutcase

Spectator
I think that Miriam should be allowed to go to the olympics - I used to skate at her rink and she's a fantastic skater and a lovely girl. I hope she's allowed to go! :)

Mafke

Medalist
I think that using 4C's of 2005 to determine who goes to events in 2006 is stupid. I really can't think of any other appropriate word ... stupid, stupid, stupid. Did I mention that it's really stupid? If not, then let me stress, whoever came up with this idea is STUPID.

(diplomacy school really paid off in my case)

Kasey

Medalist
Whether stupid or not, they KNEW what the qualifying event would be going into it. Joanne held it together, Miriam didn't. Enough with the whining already.

Angelskates

Rinkside
Miriam's appeal against non-selection and against Jo being selected was rejected yesterday. Miriam is still able to appeal to CAS (Court of Abritation for Sport) but it is a very costly exercise, she needs to submit that appeal, if she wishes, by January 16.

skating_nutcase - I used to skate at Miriam's rink as well, Miriam is a lovely lady and beautiful skater, but that doesn't come into play here - Jo is as well! I have a copy of the verdict and it is, IMHO, fair.

If ISA was to use a later competiton, there wouldn't be time to appeal, and many of those rules are also from the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) not ISA. 2006 4CCs cannot be used, the selection needs to be given to the AOC before then.

ETA: Miriam will be appeal to CAS.

Last edited: