10 Questions with Sasha Cohen- Pre-Olys | Golden Skate

10 Questions with Sasha Cohen- Pre-Olys

orchid

On the Ice
SOME SKATERS SAY QUALIFYING FOR THE OLYMPIC TEAM IS MORE NERVE-RACKING THAN COMPETING AT THE OLYMPICS. DO YOU AGREE? No, I don't. Nationals is one of the biggest events of the year, but it can't compare to the Olympics.

Every 'other' skater views the Nationals, what ever country, as the most nerve-wracking skate, but not Sasha, ohhhh. Just how many pre-Olympic National events has she attended, ,,, uhm ONE
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Next question: DOES THE MERE MENTION OF THE WORD OLYMPICS MAKE YOUR PALMS SWEAT? Sometimes it does, but right now I'm in a good place, just focusing on Nationals." huh?

ANY NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS? Hmm ... New Year's resolutions. To get better every day. NO OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL? I think that's a given.
And this quote, I wouldn't dare to comment, she says enough.:rofl: :rofl:

Enero

On the Ice
Nice interview.

She sounds confident and like she's working to take each competition one at a time. And she's being honest, what skater wouldn't have the Olympic Gold Medal as their "resolution" (or better yet goal) for the new year, especially if they're one of the top FS competitors going into the Olympics. I wish her the best at Nationals and the Games!

Thanks for posting.:)

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog, thanks for posting the article. I wish Sasha all the best at Nationals and the Olympics.

Dee

Hey RD - Thanks for this post on Sasha.

SOME SKATERS SAY QUALIFYING FOR THE OLYMPIC TEAM IS MORE NERVE-RACKING THAN COMPETING AT THE OLYMPICS. DO YOU AGREE? No, I don't. Nationals is one of the biggest events of the year, but it can't compare to the Olympics. At the Olympics there is 10 times as much media attention--and athletes from all over the world from every different sport. People stop and pay attention to the athletes for two weeks.

Looks like Sasha is on a hype roll. I wonder if the posters who demeaned hype still feel the same way. Hype never bothered me.

Seems Sasha is very conscious of where the media attention will be. Good for her.

Joe

millie

Medalist
Thanks RedDog for posting this thread. It's always nice to hear from the skaters. On another note, thanks Kathy for posting the thread on Michelle from MKF (pardon me for posting about Michelle on this thread but I was scared to go back to the other thread, some fans might tell me to eat my words.):) Let's hope that they all do their best at Nationals.

S

SkateFan4Life

orchid said:
SOME SKATERS SAY QUALIFYING FOR THE OLYMPIC TEAM IS MORE NERVE-RACKING THAN COMPETING AT THE OLYMPICS. DO YOU AGREE? No, I don't. Nationals is one of the biggest events of the year, but it can't compare to the Olympics.

Well, the Nationals are most definitely a nail-biting competition, as IT IS THE OLYMPIC QUALIFYING COMPETITION. Obviously, Sasha considers it as a given that she will medal and make the US Olympic figure skating team. :biggrin:

SkateFan4Life said:
Well, the Nationals are most definitely a nail-biting competition, as IT IS THE OLYMPIC QUALIFYING COMPETITION. Obviously, Sasha considers it as a given that she will medal and make the US Olympic figure skating team. :biggrin:
Maybe, but will there be enough media for her there?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Some people duck under the intensity of the Olympic scramble.

Seems like Cohen thrives on it. Maybe that will put her a little more at ease come Game Time.

The Nationals could be an indicator of what's to happen. I think it's a good hunch that the winner of next week's US Nationals will NOT be the OGM winner. IF the OGM is an American once again, it will be the 2nd or 3rd place person.

Enero

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
The Nationals could be an indicator of what's to happen. I think it's a good hunch that the winner of next week's US Nationals will NOT be the OGM winner. IF the OGM is an American once again, it will be the 2nd or 3rd place person..

Maybe, maybe not. Remember the last two American OGM were "one hit wonder" teens. That seems unlikely this year, par the discussions on other threads. So with mostly "ladies" being in contention for the gold this year, perhaps this Olympics will parallel the history of the Games before the teenyboppers came on the scene. Specifically the history of the 92 Games when Yamaguchi won Nationals and went on to win Gold at the Olympics.

It's very possible. I think at this point who ever wins US Nationals has just as good a chance at winning the Olympic Gold as anyone else.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's very possible. I think at this point who ever wins US Nationals has just as good a chance at winning the Olympic Gold as the European Champion.

True...and you might as well replace "European Champion" with "Irina Slutskaya".

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Enero said:
Remember the last two American OGM were "one hit wonder" teens.

I would not describe Tara as "one hit wonder". Besides the Olympics she also won a gold medal in US Nationals, GPF and Worlds.

Red Dog said:
Some people duck under the intensity of the Olympic scramble.

Seems like Cohen thrives on it. Maybe that will put her a little more at ease come Game Time.
I guess Sasha will not have the pressure this time.

Joe

Mafke

Medalist
Jaana said:
I would not describe Tara as "one hit wonder". Besides the Olympics she also won a gold medal in US Nationals, GPF and Worlds.

Okay, she was a one year wonder.

nicole_l

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
She's medaled at every Nationals she's gone to, and you could say that this is possibly the weakest field that she's faced at Nationals. The lowest I expect her to place is 2nd.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Mafke said:
Okay, she was a one year wonder.

Actually Tara was more than a one year wonder, LOL. She won US Nationals, GPF and World championships in 1996-1997 season and GPF and Olympics in 1997-1998 season.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
Actually Tara was more than a one year wonder, LOL. She won US Nationals, GPF and World championships in 1996-1997 season and GPF and Olympics in 1997-1998 season.

Alright, then, a two-year wonder :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
There's a new journal that was posted on the Sasha fans forum. I must say she is certainly talking the talk. I can't help but wonder what she will say if 2006 turns out to be a disaster for her...