Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16

JanJam

Rinkside
soogar said:
So she has a shot of winning a medal in the games with an injury? She couldn't win a medal at worlds under COP when she was healthy. Now she thinks she can win a medal at the games doing a COP friendly program (which she hasn't done yet) while dealing with an injury that severely cut her training time. She had a whole season last year to get a COP friendly program and presumably she was healthy and couldn't do it. Now she expects to do it with only a month of training?

IIRC, one or two reports that came out yesterday mentioned that some skating experts/judges from the US and abroad have already reviewed Kwan's programs and have rated them highly for the new system, so COP is not supposed to be a major issue come Olympic time. Plus her doctor said she should be okay in time for the Olympics, so health won't be a major issue either. If you combine this with the fact that she (1) placed 3rd in her short and long programs at World's -- even without a bunch of competitions behind her during the season and with her supposed inexperience with COP, and (2) has actually beaten Irina many times in competition, I don't see how sending Alyssa, Kimmie, Bebe, or Emily (without any track record of successful international comps behind them) instead of two-time Olympic medalist Kwan would give the US more chances to medal at the Olympics. Outside of Cohen and Kwan, there's really no other US female skater that will likely give the gold-annointed Irina some competition at the Games.

The USFSA has already said that its basis for selecting the team is to get the skaters that will give the US the best chances to medal, so obviously the goal is not simply to automatically honor the top three medalists at Nats. If Corwin or Taylor end up in second and third places at Nats, do you think that the USFSA will pick them for the Olympic spots over Alyssa and Kimmie who have already shown some success internationally?

Last edited:
Soogar said:
Now she expects to do it with only a month of training?
I can't read Michelle's mind, but I think the answer to that question is, "no, she does not expect this." Barring a miracle I do not think that Michelle expects to be able to skate at Torino.

I think she is filing the petition for a bye just to keep her options open. But I am afraid that reality will trump hope this year.

MM :cry:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I can't read Michelle's mind, but I think the answer to that question is, "no, she does not expect this." Barring a miracle I do not think that Michelle expects to be able to skate at Torino.

I think she is filing the petition for a bye just to keep her options open. But I am afraid that reality will trump hope this year.

This time, I actually have to agree.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Soogar, to my understanding, the Olympics is all about winning medals (as is any competition). It's not necessarily about letting the young, untried athlete "have their moment in the sun". The strongest team members are always sent, the ones with the most experience. There are athletes in other sports who have been to the Olys two and three times, perhaps even four........Assuming she can compete and with Michelle's 13 plus years of experience in the field, I can't believe her one less than stellar year of CoP experience will be the determining factor to whether or not she goes to Italy...42

Panther2000

On the Ice
Mathman said:

I agree. What an awful time for her to get a big injury like that. But, I am keepping my fingers crossed big time. & I think that maybe she will be able to pull it out & get healed in time & skate great. Winning a gold or not is not really the question right now.

I have been away & out of the loop & to come back & hear this. It is sad news. & after seeing her at marshalls' Frankly, I was hoping that she would pull out of nationals. I would rather see her pull out than make her injuries worse by forcing something that she is not ready for. At marshall's she was Out of shape & seemed afraid of maybe making her injuries worse than they already were. Which is probably what happen with this new injury.

& as for Sasha fans all giddy & happy over an injury. I am very happy for you. :clap: Barring a splatfess by sasha she will finally get her National title. But eventhough, some won't admit it. It will be bittersweet. Kwan can't skate so sasha can't actually beat her & take her Title. So, that question will ALWAYS linger. But, then again you do have to be in it to win it. So, here is to wishing michelle good health & a full recovery.

& On another topic. 3 Cheers for the Newest American I dance Skatger:rofl: :rock: :thumbsup: :agree:

orchid

On the Ice
I haven't read through all 6 pages of this thread, but, didn't Kerrigan have to produce a note form the Dr. AND a run through of her long program, albeit watere-down due to the time off the ice? And watered-down was ok to the officials!

And that was sufficient. Nee. basic skills

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
sk8addict said:
Kwan said at Marshall's she would be ready for Nationals. She's not.
Yes she said she would be ready for Nationals and truth is she would have been if she didn't sustain a new injury. She said her hip is 100%. That is what was bothering her eariler this season. She pulled out of Nationals because of a recent groin injury...NOT the hip that was bothering her pre-Marshalls.

soogar said:
So she has a shot of winning a medal in the games with an injury? She couldn't win a medal at worlds under COP when she was healthy. Now she thinks she can win a medal at the games doing a COP friendly program (which she hasn't done yet) while dealing with an injury that severely cut her training time. She had a whole season last year to get a COP friendly program and presumably she was healthy and couldn't do it. Now she expects to do it with only a month of training?
You really want to harp on this! We're all aware of the events leading up to the injury. Can you move on?

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
We've beaten last year's World's to death. I'd also like to remind people that MK lost a podium spot by less than a point. As others have pointed out, she got 3rd in SP and LP - it was the bad QR that killed her podium spot at last year's Worlds. This was with a program that was less than COP ready. She did not compete at Grand Prix last year due to back pain. If she's gotten honest feedback from experienced COP judges, then her programs are likely choreographed to be COP ready. Just hope we get to see her do them.

The wording of the qualifications seems vague. It seems like she must have a medical exam showing that her injury is not severe and likely to recover in adequate time for training and competition by th 16th. The team itself can be changed until the 30th. I'm going to guess that Michelle will be on the team and she will withdraw if fitting before the final deadline.

There have been people who have gone to Olympics healthy and had setbacks. Caryn Kadavy got to skater her SP, but had to withdraw since she got the flu - 100+ degree fever. Randy Gardner's injury prevented him and Tai from ever knowing if the could've won gold. And, of course, there all of those athletes who just didn't have their best performance on that particular day. Just shows that one never knows what will end up happening - there a lot more things that one can't control.

Michelle also came in second in her LP at Dortmund to Shizuka and placed 3rd over all after being 6th in Q Round.

Joe

tripleflutz

On the Ice
She said the hip feels better, but until she starts jumping day after day and really puts it to the test she can't know how it will hold up.

....How can they put her on the Olympic team without knowing if she can perform at an acceptable level? Can they rely on what Michelle says? Michelle does seem to give out very optomistic reports about herself that later don't seem to match up with events. The groin injury happened a week after Marshall's but was kept quiet for three weeks while rosey projections were given for Nationals. Now we have a statement saying that she can't jump until the 13th, but she'll be 100% for Turino, where she thinks she has a chance to win.
....I can't believe that a skater not well enough to even compete at Nats will be well enough to perform anywhere near what she is capable of in Turino.

....I think its very near time for Michelle to let go of a childs dream and start to accept the hand that fate has dealt her.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
tripleflutz said:
The groin injury happened a week after Marshall's but was kept quiet for three weeks while rosey projections were given for Nationals.

....I think its very near time for Michelle to let go of a childs dream and start to accept the hand that fate has dealt her.

What "rosey" projections are you talking about? Certainly none came from anyone in Kwan's camp. If you remember, in her holiday message to fans, she never mentioned she was doing well (that was a telling message to me). Instead, all she said was that she knew we were concerned and that she had a great team behind her. Maybe you were getting inside information that none of us were privy to.

And it will be time for Michelle to let go of her dream when she decides the time is right. That's the great thing about dreams ... they belong to each of us and can't be taken away.

K-Mo

On the Ice
nymkfan51 said:
And it will be time for Michelle to let go of her dream when she decides the time is right. That's the great thing about dreams ... they belong to each of us and can't be taken away.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

kemisha

Rinkside
nymkfan51 said:

the mind is willing, but the body is weak

Frau Muller

Final Flight
nymkfan51 said:
....And it will be time for Michelle to let go of her dream when she decides the time is right. That's the great thing about dreams ... they belong to each of us and can't be taken away.

Well "geez Louise," don't Kimmie, BeBe, Alissa & all of the other gals on the US Senior Ladies roster also have dreams? Or is the 'Kween Dream' more important than other dreams?

ALL I WISH FOR IS FAIRNESS. The make-up of the US Ladies Team should be based on absolute ability to perform at optimum level right now...not on having earned a Lifetime Achievement Award, Miss Popularity Award, or Coca-Cola-NBClympics Marketability Award. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Give me a break.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how supposed skating fans can get off on Kwan's injury. She's contributed a lot to this sport and has always presented herself both on & off the ice in the fashion that most atheles & their PR reps can only dream about... A true champion.

We fans really need to check ourselves because we are all tripping... Kwan's injury doesn't make the competiton better, it makes it weaker. Cohen, Irina & other elite skaters understand this... proved by their comments regarding Kwan. Just like if Irina had a set back with her illness or Sasha threw her back out again, I doubt that her competition would view that as a positive. To be the best a true competitor wants to beat the best.

All of this glee is disrespectful to all the skaters, not just Kwan. But what do I know, I'm just an uberKwaniac who is obsessed & scary in my constant worship who doesn't get that US skating is better off with Kwan and that the USFSA has so much talent on the bench who could ensure our three spots going into the next olympic cycle & that with Kwan gone the sport of skating will be taken more seriously, because she's been held up for so long by the judges that the ingerity will be back to skating. Please. :eek:hwell:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
There have been people who have gone to Olympics healthy and had setbacks. Caryn Kadavy got to skater her SP, but had to withdraw since she got the flu - 100+ degree fever. Randy Gardner's injury prevented him and Tai from ever knowing if the could've won gold. And, of course, there all of those athletes who just didn't have their best performance on that particular day. Just shows that one never knows what will end up happening - there a lot more things that one can't control.

Good point, Heyang..........I was just about to mention this fact. Being well and fit is no guarantee that you'll skate in the same condition. Michelle suffered a fractured foot in 98, and still had a medal winning skate in Nagano........it could happen again! 42

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Kwanford Wife said:
...[Kwan has] contributed a lot to this sport and has always presented herself both on & off the ice in the fashion that most atheles & their PR reps can only dream about... A true champion. ....

Indeed she is, Kwanford Wife! How can any of us argue that point? For being a true champion she has been amply rewarded with nine national & six (?) world titles, plus silver & bronze medals at two Oly Games! Not to mention her VERY WELL DESERVED endorsement opportunities. She is a great role model & will continue to be that for many years & decades to come!

But this is sport. The 2006 Winter Olympic Games. Not some cheesefest. The ladies who are at their absolute athletic best should represent us in Turin. Maybe that *will* be Michele, after all! [I sure hope so!!!] Maybe not. All I say: MAY THE NAMING TO THE TEAM BE FAIR. May nobody be named to the team solely on past achievements *or* solely to appease Madison Avenue. Past achievements are a factor -- they are in the USFSA rules for naming the Oly squad-- but I believe that the USFSA intends this to be a MIX of past achevements and present athletic abilities by each skater.

p.s. Perhaps some peope think that Takeshi Honda, rather than Takahashi, should go to Turin. Of course not. Takeshi has great credentials, the greatest of these (the World bronzes) earned since the last Olympics. However, his athletic abilities have marketdly deteriorated in just the past year (similar to Michele here). THANK GOODNESS that the Japanese Federation did the right thing & not award the spot solely on 'lifetime achievements.' Sad for Takeshi & his fans but, hey, that's sport. And that is FAIRNESS. Takahashi, not Honda, deserved it now.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
Indeed she is, Kwanford Wife! How can any of us argue that point? For being a true champion she has been amply rewarded with nine national & six (?) world titles, plus silver & bronze medals at two Oly Games! Not to mention her VERY WELL DESERVED endorsement opportunities. She is a great role model & will continue to be that for many years & decades to come!

But this is sport. The 2006 Winter Olympic Games. Not some cheesefest. The ladies who are at their absolute athletic best should represent us in Turin. Maybe that *will* be Michele, after all! [I sure hope so!!!] Maybe not. All I say: MAY THE NAMEING OF THE TEAM BE FAIR. MAY NOBODY BE NAMED TO A TEAM SOLELY ON PAST ACHIEVEMENTS *or* solely to appease Madison Avenue.

Frau,

I'm totally feeling you on all the above... and agree. My point is that all the nastiness of some in this thread & others is over the top. In sports there are no guarntees & I understand that ~ as a Kwan fan '98 & '02 taught me that lesson...

But I just cannot wrap my head around the phenom of tearing one skater down to build up another skaters...

If Kwan is too injured to represent herself in the best light, then I say pull out. If she's healthy, then I say give her the bye. Not because she's a legend but because a healthy Kwan is a better option than the bronze medalist (whoever that might be...) at the '06 Nationals ~ anyway you look at.

In terms of giving an unhealthy Kwan a spot because she's Kwan is a totally different matter because in the long-term it doesn't prove anything or serve anyone ~ including Madison Ave. She'd be better off pulling out & doing color commentating as an injured star then by finishing anything lower than 2nd. Yes, she'd miss out on the big, right after the Games money, but her longevitiy would continue as would her endoresements. Heck, she's made more than the last two champs combined...

She's Kwan & will continue to put her stamp on this sport long after her competitive days... as proved by openning up a world class training facility. And that is awesome because I truly thought she'd quietly hang up her skates and disappear ala Janet Lynn (sp.)

Last edited: