Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16

cianni

On the Ice
Oh Dear

We now have a crystal ball reader. Michelle wont be there. All posts on michelle must stop. A crystal ball reader says so.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
cianni said:
We now have a crystal ball reader. Michelle wont be there. All posts on michelle must stop. A crystal ball reader says so.

:laugh: She's got to be there! I already paid for my MKF sweatshirt!

soogar

Record Breaker
realistic51 said:
Since the rules are in place and allow ANY skater to ask for a medical bye, I don't understand why you are so against giving Kwan the bye. We can set aside the Kerrigan issue because I do agree that it's different circumstances from Kwan's. However an injury is an injury despite the circumstances.

And she didn't compete this season because of a hip injury. I'm not talking about the years before this when it was her choice, which she has a right to make even if everyone just second guesses her from her to who knows where, but THIS season. And she was preparing to compete. I see that you must think Kwan was so afraid of losing to the Sashas (ha) and Maos (ha) of this world that she injured her hip and now injured her groin just because she didn't want to lose. Puh-lease, that's just right out there in left field. If she was so afraid to lose, she wouldn't have bothered showing up for Worlds 2005 because you can't tell me that she thought she had a chance to win there. And she's lost to Sasha before. Big deal.

What should be the point here is: Will we be sending our best if we send Kwan? My answer: Yes.

Of course Michelle thought she was going to win Worlds 2005. Her strategy was to rest her body and let other skaters (who don't have the resume) punish themselves on the GP. Unfortunately for Michelle, lack of competition has made her rusty and out of sight, out of mind for many of the judges that will evaluate her in this Olympics. Last year she was still going off of Worlds 2004 momentum, this year she has no momentum. As for her being the best, well was her skate at Marshall's the best technically? Were her jumps consistent? Yes she was injured, but the reality is that the best skater is the skater who can do the jumps on that given competition. Michelle most likely is not doing anything now so how is she better than any girl doing triples and 3-3 attempts.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Sooger when did Kwan pee in your Cheerios? Are you or your child being left off of the team if she goes? Kwan is Kwan, she is loved, adored, and respected by most people who are knowlegible about the sport. She has competed following the rules. She has beaten Sasha at Nationals every year. Up until this season there was no opportunity for her to compete against Mao. She was ready to compete in all of the dog and pony shows this year until she became injured. She was able to make an appearance at Marshall's cheesefest without much training time after her hip injury. She lost more time due to the groin injury but plans to be in competitive form by the Olympics. Unless someone is asking you to pay her hotel bill or buy her ticket to Turino you need to GET OVER IT!!!

shdotz

On the Ice
MK Test to seek if she is okay

Perhaps times and rules have changed.

I seem to remember that Nancy Kerrigan had to skate to prove her knee was okay. I think she did her Olympics skate routine.

shdotz:)

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
attyfan said:
Finally, you forgot that Irina got a bye to go to Worlds in /04, when she also was out of the entire year. After a test skate, the Russian federation simply determined that, even when sick, Irina is one of their best.
Might I add that even before Slutskaya got sick she wasn't skating so hot either. In the fall of 2002 she was losing to skaters like Volchkova and Onda, in addition to skaters like Cohen. Nobody said she didn't deserve to keep skating or was embarrassing herself.

curious

Final Flight
Jimmy Hoffa said:
Might I add that even before Slutskaya got sick she wasn't skating so hot either. In the fall of 2002 she was losing to skaters like Volchkova and Onda, in addition to skaters like Cohen. Nobody said she didn't deserve to keep skating or was embarrassing herself.

She was probably feeling the syptoms of her illness. Anyway,you can't compare her situation with Kwan cause she has skated very well the whole year and is the world champ:biggrin:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I believe Lu Chen also made a big comeback to win a bronze in 2002 Olympics (?) am I right or am I right? She was not skating well at all and was injured or sick for a long time before the Olympics --but experience pulled her through and she medaled against a lot of odds.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
FreeKatie said:
I believe Lu Chen also made a big comeback to win a bronze in 2002 Olympics (?) am I right or am I right? She was not skating well at all and was injured or sick for a long time before the Olympics --but experience pulled her through and she medaled against a lot of odds.

It was the 1998 Olys. I don't know if it was illness, injury, or troubles with her coach/federation, but Lu Chen -- as the reigning Oly bronze medalist (from '94), reigning World medalist, and, former World champ did not even qualify for the free skate at the 1997 Worlds, only to come back in Nagano to win a second bronze.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
curious said:
She was probably feeling the syptoms of her illness. Anyway,you can't compare her situation with Kwan cause she has skated very well the whole year and is the world champ:biggrin:

You seem to have difficulty reading. Jimmy Hoffa and I were not comparing Michelle now to Irina now, but comparing Michelle now to Irina in 2004 -- when (again) she did not compete the entire year, but was given a bye to Dortmund.

kyla2

Final Flight
Michelle

Michelle clearly has an even better case for a bye now. But I would also say if Bebe skates in the LP like she did in the SP she too deserves to go to the Olympics. She has been underrated for too long. Sasha was great and will win this one hands down. The other girls are just not ready for prime time at the Olympics yet. I had hopes for Alissa but when she melts down she just completely loses her jumps. When she's great, she's really great and when she's bad, it's not pretty.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
attyfan said:
It was the 1998 Olys. I don't know if it was illness, injury, or troubles with her coach/federation, but Lu Chen -- as the reigning Oly bronze medalist (from '94), reigning World medalist, and, former World champ did not even qualify for the free skate at the 1997 Worlds, only to come back in Nagano to win a second bronze.

Thanks for refreshing my memory! If I remember correctly, she was also skating horribly in the Olympic practices. The commentators were very surprised that she was able to pull off a clean short and thought her marks were low because of the poor practice sessions she experienced that week.

new_europe2006

Rinkside
kyla2 said:
Michelle clearly has an even better case for a bye now. But I would also say if Bebe skates in the LP like she did in the SP she too deserves to go to the Olympics. She has been underrated for too long. Sasha was great and will win this one hands down. The other girls are just not ready for prime time at the Olympics yet. I had hopes for Alissa but when she melts down she just completely loses her jumps. When she's great, she's really great and when she's bad, it's not pretty.

ITA that Michelle has an even better case for making the Olympic team with the way all of the ladies skated in the SP last night.

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
curious said:
For all we know Kwan was feeling the symptoms of an upcoming injury last year. Weren't there rumors of an injury going around last season?

kyla2

Final Flight
ABC Segment

ABC t.v. just did a segment on their nightly news on whether Michelle should get a bye or not and it wasn't that positive for Michelle. I think asking Tara to comment on it was declasse, and it was declasse of her to do it. She should have declined. At least when John Nicks and Sasha commented on the situation, they were infinitely classier. God bless Christine Brennan, she spoke up for Michelle. A sportswriter from San Francisco (I think) was not for her going. Oh well, it is out of our hands and hopefully they will send her if they want the best possible team.

I have to admit, on the emotional level I am going back and forth on this issue. Michelle's my girl, but she has already had a career full of "thrills of a lifetime."

Think what it would mean to Emily Hughes or Kimmie Meissner or Alissa Czisny or Beatrisa Liang to get to go to the Olympics!

Mathman

flowjo35

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I have to admit, on the emotional level I am going back and forth on this issue. Michelle's my girl, but she has already had a career full of "thrills of a lifetime."

Think what it would mean to Emily Hughes or Kimmie Meissner or Alissa Czisny or Beatrisa Liang to get to go to the Olympics!

Mathman

MM

If the committee and Michelle feels she is healthy enough and can perform at a high level, she will probably go. The US stated that wanted to send the best possible team to the olympics, and if healthy that would include Michelle. Out of the above named skaters (Emily, Kimmie, Alissa, Beatrisa) one of them will get to go to the olympics. Michelle is only asking for one spot. This might be all mute anyway if the committee decides not to give a spot to Michelle. I hope it all goes well for her.

mzheng

Record Breaker
flowjo35 said:
MM

If the committee and Michelle feels she is healthy enough and can perform at a high level, she will probably go. The US stated that wanted to send the best possible team to the olympics, and if healthy that would include Michelle. Out of the above named skaters (Emily, Kimmie, Alissa, Beatrisa) one of them will get to go to the olympics. Michelle is only asking for one spot. This might be all mute anyway if the committee decides not to give a spot to Michelle. I hope it all goes well for her.
flowjo, I agree with you. If Michelle is healthy, they don't grant her a spot, there is no just, imo.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
As I mentioned before, the Olympics, like it or not, is about sending the "best" from each nation. It's not about giving some youngster their dream come true. Sometimes it works out that way.............42