Interesting article about Michelle........ | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Interesting article about Michelle........

LBC

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Well, I for one care about the second and third place finishers, especially considering that there is pretty good chance that they both will be on the Olympic team.

There was an interesting quote from Alissa's coach in the paper yesterday about Michelle's withdrawal. She said that their strategy always assumed that Michelle and Sasha would have two spots on the Olympci team no matter what, and that Alissa would be in competition for the third spot. In the Ice Diaries show yesterday, Alissa kind of reinforced this. She said something to the effect that winning the U.S. championship is a pretty dream, but realistically her goal is to medal at nationals and make the Olympic team.

Now that Michelle's participation at Turino is in doubt, I think we could very well be looking at Sasha, Alissa and either Kimmie or Bebe to carry the torch for the U.S.A. OK, they probably won't beat Irina, but that's sport.

Mathman

I think Kimmie has said the same thing. They have always felt there was only 1 spot left on the team. I don't think any of the contenders for that spot think they are better than a healthy Kwan. Most of them are young and 2010 is what they are shooting for. Now if there were more contenders who were Michelle's age and this is their last shot at making the olympic team it maybe different.

I am sure that Michelle is going to have to do some sort of test skate. The committee isn't that dumb. I also think Michelle would pull herself out if she doesn't think she can be competitive. She doesn't want to go to the olympics just for the experiece.

People haven't talked about this but who thinks Michelle will go to worlds? I think the USFSA will name the #3 girl to the world team. If she has to be left off the olympic team she should be able to go to worlds.

heyang

Record Breaker
The US will want to send a strong team to World's since the results will determine the # of spots for next year.

Back in 1994, MK had to finish in the top 10 to guarantee 2 spots since the team did poorly the previous year and didn't get help from her teammate since Nicole didn't get past the qualifying round.

If MK can't be ready in time for Oly's, perhaps she'll represent us at World's instead, which gives her an extra month. I'd like to see her represent the US at least one more time and perform well.

kyla2

Final Flight
Imo

Michelle will get a "bye" only if she can perform her programs. If she can't she won't, and she won't want to go either. But if she can be competitive, she will absolutely get a "bye." It's as close to a slam dunk as you're ever going to get in figure skating. But like Mathman, I am not sure she will be able to do a whole program in a month. She has so much catching up to do if she is healthy enough to even practice, and if she doesn't re-injure herself with heavy duty practices. But until they tell me she isn't going, I can hope.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
In another thread, I think someone said that Michelle only asked for a bye to the Oly's - NOT the World team. Can anyone who knows more about the rules, and also Michelle's specific request shed any light on this? I was left thinking that Michelle may not be planning to attend World's, but I'm not sure just from the little bit I saw.

DG

flowjo35

On the Ice
In one of the recent acticles, Michelle stated she had been able to do full run throughs of her programs without jumps or spins. Does anyone know how long it would take a skater to gradually put jumps and spins back into a program? Will a month be enough time if her cardio strength is okay? Any thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
LegalGirl82 said:
I do think it's unfortunate that Ms. Brennan chose to associate, in any way, the Committee making the decision on the team members to the SLC debacle. To the uninformed, casual reader, this insinuates that the decision making process is somehow suspect. Her phrase "It is well within the rules for those 36" gets lost amid her ridiculously exaggerated snark about how many of the Committee members would have to recuse themselves. She would have been doing readers a better service by actually citing the rules and criteria for both the team selection process and a medical bye, so that uninformed readers can learn that only the National champion gets a guaranteed slot and the rest of the team is picked based on criteria and rules. But, as Doggygirl said, for Ms. Brennan, the real facts would make for a boring story.
ITA.

mzheng

Record Breaker
LBC said:
People haven't talked about this but who thinks Michelle will go to worlds? I think the USFSA will name the #3 girl to the world team. If she has to be left off the olympic team she should be able to go to worlds.
I think she is only ask a bye for Olympics team not the Worlds?

mzheng

Record Breaker
flowjo35 said:
In one of the recent acticles, Michelle stated she had been able to do full run throughs of her programs without jumps or spins. Does anyone know how long it would take a skater to gradually put jumps and spins back into a program? Will a month be enough time if her cardio strength is okay? Any thoughts. Thanks.
As long as programs ready, at her level just need 3/4 weeks to get jumps ready and plug in to the programs (according to RA and XXXXX). Without this 2nd groin pulling she'd be ready for Nationals by now. But now, you are talking about spins and jumps, spins need time. The only good thing compare to her first was this one diddn't keep her off ice completely, but she skated at reduced schedule again only two hours a day. Still better than when 6 weeks after the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Mzheng..........you seem to have the inside track here..........what do you think her chances are of making a full recovery in time for the Olympics? 42