Where Is Rafael Arutunian?? | Golden Skate

Where Is Rafael Arutunian??

kyla2

Final Flight
You know who we haven't heard from or seen at all- Rafael Arutunian. Where is he in this picture and I think it's strange he has had nothing to say about Michelle's situation. Is he still coaching her?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I'm not surprised that we are not hearing anything from Rafael. It is only the doctors that can provide the medical information; it is only Michelle that the press is really interested in. What could he say?

He's a coach not an official of the USFS. He may have said something privately as many others may have said. The matter is in the hands of the committee.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Its also important to remember that Kwan, unlike the majority of skaters, treats her coaches as employees. The family runs that ship & Rafael is part of the crew, leaving him without a lot to say...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Its also important to remember that Kwan, unlike the majority of skaters, treats her coaches as employees. The family runs that ship & Rafael is part of the crew, leaving him without a lot to say...

This is a little OT, but I totally respect Michelle and her decision making team (whoever that includes as her trusted advisers, which I'm sure includes some family). MK pays for a service, and in that sense her trainer IS like an employee. Actually from the legal sense, more like a sub-contractor. While many skater's coaches have expanded roles (I assume based on client/skater agreement) that goes into the PR realm, etc. I respect MK a great deal for taking responsibility for her own career, and keeping everyone's role in perspective. I'm sure it was different when MK (and family in the early years) was younger and less experienced, and probably needed more guidance about issues not directly related to training. (PR, competition strategy, etc.) At this stage, IMO she doesn't need those extra services from a trainer as she handles those decisions effectively on her own. Or at least is at a stage where she can accept responsibility for the outcome of those decisions on her own.

So..I can understand why Rafael has not played a public role in communicating MK's decisions, status, etc. That's not a put down to Rafael. I'm pretty sure that managing Michelle's press and communications strategy is not why she hired him. I have no idea how Rafael feels about it, but my guess is that was never part of the reason he was hired. Kudo's to Michelle and team for hiring the right people for her career, and keeping everyone on the right track in terms of their professional roles.

DG

screech

Final Flight
Not with regards to MK, but with regards to Rafael, Jeff mentioned him before the GPF and how when he went back to California after TEB Rafael changed his training habits so he was on the ice for shorter periods so he could focus more or something... so there's a Rafael mention!

mzheng

Record Breaker
screech said:
Not with regards to MK, but with regards to Rafael, Jeff mentioned him before the GPF and how when he went back to California after TEB Rafael changed his training habits so he was on the ice for shorter periods so he could focus more or something... so there's a Rafael mention!
I heard this article. Link?