Video tape conversion | Golden Skate

Video tape conversion

A

AdultSkater

Video tape conversion

Hello.

I have a video library of more than 600 hours of figure skating dating back to 1986. I am interested in some day having the equipment necessary to convert my tapes to DVD (and remove some commercials and improve the quality of some broadcasts).

Does anyone know if this equipment is available for sale or rent? Is this a feasible project? Any ideas?

Adult Skater

S

springerluv

Re: Video tape conversion

I know little to nothing about conversion, but am sure it can be done. People are "burning" CDs all the time -- copying from another source onto a CD, which I believe would be the same as a DVD -- someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Try asking at a video repair store. I had to have my VCR worked on some time ago and asked the guy a lot of questions like this and he was a wealth of information about where to go, etc.

I'd sure be interested in knowing what you have back that far -- wanna share? pretty please?? :)

N

NanSinger2

Yes, the equipment to record a DVD is available, but very expensive. You can get a computer version that allows you to make DVD's but I don't believe you can go from VHS to DVD through the computer. Check some of the electronic web sites. My husband is very anxious for this equipment as well as we have hundreds of music related VHS recordings he'd like to convert to DVD. It's just too expensive yet, but as the technology gets refined it will be available for less money. I hope this answer wasn't too rambling.

H

heyang

I wouldn't recommend purchasing DVD recording equipment at this time. The equipment is very expensive. DVD-R disks cost $20 each and can only record 2 hours at most.

Also, I think the consumer equipment is too "new". You're better off waiting for improvements and price drops. That way you'll get the most for your money instead of some so-so recordings.

D

dlkksk8fan

AdultSkater-

Check out the new IMac. I think it has the ability to convert tapes to DVD.

H

heyang

There's another technology that produces VCD's - Video CD's. Some DVD players can play VCD's - you need to check your owner's manual.

I went to www.askjeeves.com to try to find out more about the technology involved.

Again, the technology is new - so, it might be wise to wait.

J

Jules Asner

I have worried about this myself "what to do when they stop making VHS" but I am going to wait several more years until all the equipment is cheaper and is improved. I don't want to risk messing up the world, olympic or nationals collection!